Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Agree with Andy here...lets get the easterly in first and see what happens.

Remember how frustrated we were on Saturday 2nd January when it looked like a cold dry week with snow staying away from the Midlands?

Not all of us remained frustrated for long!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Agree with Andy here...lets get the easterly in first and see what happens.

Remember how frustrated we were on Saturday 2nd January when it looked like a cold dry week with snow staying away from the Midlands?

Not all of us remained frustrated for long!

no true about January, but 17th-22nd Dec was pants! dumpings of snow everywhere else but not here, although did get lucky on Xmas eve eve Dec 23rd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

no I dont want ECM to verify, expecting gfs and ukmo to trend towards ECM tomorrow

Why? Just because you think the worse outcome will most likely be true?

Although a cold spell looks very likely, its pointless going into any further detail than that.

Im sure there will be disappointments but plenty of surprises too. Enjoy the ride! :lol:

Posted

And don't forget that a few days ago the models all seemed in agreement that we'd see southwesterlies dominate ...... :whistling:

Posted

Im allowing myself to be slightly optimistic that I will see at least some snow falling next week.

BBC forecast now extends to Tuesday and shows light snow shower for Nuneaton.

Posted

Im allowing myself to be slightly optimistic that I will see at least some snow falling next week.

BBC forecast now extends to Tuesday and shows light snow shower for Nuneaton.

I would'nt pay much attention to the BBC 5 dayers mate. Quite often they dont call the weather for the present day correct let alone 5 days outcrazy.gif About as much use as Metcheck imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm not too fussed about snow to be honest, I just want a nice, cold Feb to give us a winter in the very cold category. Of course, I wouldn't say no to snow!

Posted

I dont know why people get so excited about an Easterly. How often does one deliver anything to central and western regions?

Give me a decent blast from the north any day, north West even better

Posted

I would'nt pay much attention to the BBC 5 dayers mate. Quite often they dont call the weather for the present day correct let alone 5 days outcrazy.gif About as much use as Metcheck imo.

Im not banking on it, but my casual observations in recent months lead me to believe that the BBC weather forecast is not as useless as is often suggested here.

Certainly Im not sure that I will get an appreciable amount of snow next week, but I am expecting to see something falling out of the sky at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A lovely afternoon here and compared to most days this winter-rather warm! Quite spring like. However latest GFS looks has more ppn than this morning and last night. :drinks:

Posted

Im not banking on it, but my casual observations in recent months lead me to believe that the BBC weather forecast is not as useless as is often suggested here.

Certainly Im not sure that I will get an appreciable amount of snow next week, but I am expecting to see something falling out of the sky at some point.

I aint into beeb bashing myself mate but as my two main hobbies are fishing and canoeing I felt short changed a lot of the time when watching a beeb forecast and planning my day/weekend around the forecast only to get let down on so many occasions when they were wrong. This is the main reason I started to take an interest in the weather. As we have access to so much data from various models and not just from the met blum.gif then I feel now I have a better idea of what the weather will or could be doing and can prepare for it better. Its a similar thing with the met office long rangers as quite often these change from day to day and a lot of the time they are not great imo either. Going back on topic now has anyone else noticed today that the sun has had a tinge of warmth to it and how much higher in the sky it is clap.gif its been really pleasant to be out and about today and makes you feel much happier than the slate grey chuff we've had recently. Also it was nice to see some structure to the clouds today with some convection developing. I feel this may help us out with any snow that we may receive in the next 10 days or socold.gif .

Posted

spring seems here now, warmish february sun and a high of 10.8°C, way better than a wet day, 12Z gfs a bit better, less high pressure dominant, hope ecmwf shows a less high pressure setup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
Going back on topic now has anyone else noticed today that the sun has had a tinge of warmth to it and how much higher in the sky it is clap.gif its been really pleasant to be out and about today and makes you feel much happier than the slate grey chuff we've had recently. Also it was nice to see some structure to the clouds today with some convection developing. I feel this may help us out with any snow that we may receive in the next 10 days or socold.gif .

I must admit it has felt quite a fair bit warmer today, and has been a smashing day for a cycle down some quiet lanes. It has been nice looking up at the sky and seeing some interesting stories, pictures and patterns created by the shower-like clouds in the sky; for example I enjoy watching instances when a tiny cloud is being chased by a much larger monsterous looking cloud - and seeing if the small cloud escapes. This makes it look like a story has been created by the weather.cool.gif

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Agreed, it should be a very interesting week to come. That snow shield might even have weakened by Tuesday (if the Met Office were to be correct about the chance of a few light snow showers for that day).smile.gif

Posted

Yes, it was mild today, but already it is colder here than forecast.............It felt very cold when I walked up the shop a few minutes ago.

I think this next cold spell will be here much sooner than some might think.

It was 9°C at 5pm but it's now 3°C which the M.O site states it will be at 6am SaT morning.

I think we will see snow showers on Monday onwards, with more heavier snow towards next weekend.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

I aint into beeb bashing myself mate but as my two main hobbies are fishing and canoeing I felt short changed a lot of the time when watching a beeb forecast and planning my day/weekend around the forecast only to get let down on so many occasions when they were wrong. This is the main reason I started to take an interest in the weather. As we have access to so much data from various models and not just from the met blum.gif then I feel now I have a better idea of what the weather will or could be doing and can prepare for it better. Its a similar thing with the met office long rangers as quite often these change from day to day and a lot of the time they are not great imo either.

Yes, and Ive been silly for failing to explain that I wasnt using the BBC as my only source of hope for snow in the coming days, I was just using it to lend weight to what the various other models reckon we have in store.

If precipitation reality for the coming week turned out to be exactly what the 18Z GFS predicts then my best chances for even light precipitation are Sunday and Monday, where temps etc are not so great for snow. The rest of the week the model thinks the precipitation will mostly just miss me, coming close enough to be a letdown when it misses on numerous occasions, although reality may turn out a little kinder.

So I cant bring myself to expect any interesting accumulation of snow here, so for now I'll just be happy that the cold spell comes true and I get to see snow fall out of the sky. If it doesnt work out for this region I may even consider a bit of snow tourism, take a day off work and take a train to somewhere snowy.

Posted

If it doesnt work out for this region I may even consider a bit of snow tourism, take a day off work and take a train to somewhere snowy.

I can recommend a jolly out to Horseshoe Pass in Wales mate. Really high up in the mountains with a cafe right at the top (ponderosa I think its called) and theres a good hill for sledging for the kids and then for the grown ups theres a run of probably about 1000metres or so for some extreme sledgingcrazy.gif

I went up there last year with three mates and too be honest I felt a bit of a pleb and thought I'm to old for this. My worries soon dissapeared though when 2 blokes probably in their late 40's early 50's came ploughing past us on body boardsblush.gif I went and had a chat with them when we went in the cafe for a fry up and they said they go up there quite often!!!! so much for growing old gracefully loldrunk.gif

Edited by jukebox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I can recommend a jolly out to Horseshoe Pass in Wales mate. Really high up in the mountains with a cafe right at the top (ponderosa I think its called) and theres a good hill for sledging for the kids and then for the grown ups theres a run of probably about 1000metres or so for some extreme sledgingcrazy.gif

I went up there last year with three mates and too be honest I felt a bit of a pleb and thought I'm to old for this. My worries soon dissapeared though when 2 blokes probably in their late 40's early 50's came ploughing past us on body boardsblush.gif I went and had a chat with them when we went in the cafe for a fry up and they said they go up there quite often!!!! so much for growing old gracefully loldrunk.gif

Horseshoe Pass is brilliant. Me and my Dad went up there when we had the incredible October snow, they had a fair covering up there. Certainly worth the journey.

Posted

Horseshoe Pass is brilliant. Me and my Dad went up there when we had the incredible October snow, they had a fair covering up there. Certainly worth the journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFzC-nPlYGE just an idea of what to expect if you do take a trip up there.ph34r.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKH11dMUNQ this video has a little bit of swearing in it so dont watch it if you dont like a bit of jeffingcold.gif cool icicles though and funny commentary. How many of you have videoed storms or the likes on your own and end up muttering cr*p like this guy doesrofl.gif I know I have on more than one occasion lol.

Posted

I think Fog is going to be quite dense and widespread tonight. Watch out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Light snow at best from this for the Midlands for the next 5 days IMO. I don't mind that though, better than nothing :( and our new boiler is in action now so we have hot water and heating and the house is nice and toasty :rolleyes: So bring on the cold!

Posted

Light snow at best from this for the Midlands for the next 5 days IMO. I don't mind that though, better than nothing smile.gif and our new boiler is in action now so we have hot water and heating and the house is nice and toasty biggrin.gif So bring on the cold!

not even light snow looking at ecm, bone dry for tue-thur at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Still a good chance of snow, albeit pretty light during Monday and into the early part of Tuesday. Snowfall will probably be showery in nature - filtering inland across the Midlands. After that, we turn our attention to the latter half of next week into the weekend, with signs of some longer spells of substantial snowfall across the country as an increasingly potent easterly becomes established across the U.K.

Sounds good to me Weather09!

Posted

yeah still looking good from friday-sunday, but FI could all change and leave high pressure over us, wont be any snow before thurs night

then my guess is for a northerly from 19/20th Feb