Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Light snow flurry just passed through.

I didn't even see it, but looking at the clouds i can see where it came from. Looking good if the models continue the trend of the big Northerly next week, although this is subject to change massively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A few flakes blowing around in the wind ATM,not even a flurry if i am been honest,just had a quick look at the rain today radar

and there seems to be a few showers in the leeds area atm heading in a SW direction,but they are diappearing as they cross the

pennines,seems like we will have to wait until weekend now,with a very potent Northerley looking likely

ECM about to roll out,will be doom and gloom or a yahoo.gif

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I have a feeling its going to be a Southeast thing at the end of the week.

Up to weekend correct,but that has always been the case,things will change if the northerley comes off

C.S

Posted

Light snow here, on and off all day. It was barely there this morning and became more noticeable as the day went on. Very chilly outside too (couple of degrees at the moment) - brr! cold.gif

slight covering by this afternoon on the way out of macclesfield

not been bad really for the first day of the cold spell, as told to expect nothing this week and not that cold and we have had a max of 2C and a covering of snow.

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted

Oooh Just driven home from work to a brief snow/hail flurry, driven on by a keen wind. Left a nice white covering, and more than I expected. I've been setting myself up for virtually nothing until the very end of the week. At least while this HP is nearby to our North West. Pleasantly surprised. Stopped now though.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Hello again,

Do you think it would be possible that if say the cold becomes established and the high pressure then moves North West towards Greenland and then the Atlantic makes an incursion as the block moves west towards Canada (as hinted on the ECM output) we could see a very major snowfall on the scale of February 1996 (or even exceeding it)? Would it be possible to get a situation where we get our biggest snowdepths (in a single event) say since the late 1970s? I would be really nice to see such an event as it would really put the icing on the cake for this winter IMO firmly sealing it as one to remember! If we got an event like that I would not mind if it turned mild after that and Spring arrived! Does anyone else the the potential for such a "snowy breakdown" and when would be the best time to look out for it according to model guidance etc. Would early next week be a possible window say next Monday or Tuesday? If I couldn't have a Feb 1996 or better style event, a March 2006 would do me - can anyone tell me what the snowdepths where like in that event and February 1996 in the Merseyside area?

Luke

Posted

Im just not expecting to much at the moment, first the modles showed quite widespread snow showers through-out the week. However it mostly just going to be a Eastern event till the end of the week, then things may change.

However its still to far away.

Posted

FAX charts showing a trough feature moving through the region on Thursday, temps could be marginal but of the precipitation is heavy enough some of us could see a surprise snowfall - one to watch I feel.

Today we caught the shortest of sleet showers, a blink and you miss it affair. Slim chance th odd flurry may occur overnight. It wasn't as cold last night as Sat and Sunday, tonight is looking a much colder affair.

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Feels cold today,we did have a few very light flurries yesterday but nothing much.

Posted

If we go by the 12z run, there could be alot of snow around next Monday sitting across the same areas for a long period.

Indeed, let's hope the GFS is right on this one. Also more heavy snow to come the middle of next week, if the GFS is right!

Posted

if the GFS comes off next week that would be good! Here is hoping too! Can't see there being much chance for us this week though? drinks.gif

Posted

The next few days look very dry, chance of some light sleety snow in Pennine areas on Thursday night, but other than that apart from a rogue light snow shower, I don't see any snow in this region - its a dissapointing 'cold' spell in terms of snowfall, even temps are not that far off the average at the moment , 4's and 5's and mins of -1 degrees hardly constitutes a cold spell in my book.

All is not lost though, by Sunday we finally see retrogression of the high heradling what is looking like a potentially very snow spell indeed courtesy of deep cold arctic air and low pressure from a very cold source..

Posted

Interesting, maybe they are expecting some of those showers, which are beginning to build up in the East to make over the Pennines. I would expect them to die out the further progress they make inland, but the odd stray might make it over.

Posted

So from looking at the models what do people think the chances are from the system moving south from the north next week?

Posted

Slight covering of Snow overnight, next week looks interesting.

Posted

Snowing quite heavily here in Bury and looking like a few more showers following the same line on the radar, hopefully this is actually settling properly in Bacup which is about 800ft higher than here.

Shadowfax