IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Few flakes blowing about in the wind but very on and off, bizarre - radar up the shoot again, not for the first time this winter either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Few flakes blowing about in the wind but very on and off, bizarre - radar up the shoot again, not for the first time this winter either.

You sure the radar isnt showing anaprop from the mist?

Posted

You sure the radar isnt showing anaprop from the mist?

Probably is anaprop, but it is only light stuff over me on the radar so it could possibly be so light it isn't making it to the ground.

Posted

OK now its doing a better job of being sleetier.

As for the radar, it showed light precipitation in my area for a while before I could actually detect any.

Posted

Moderate snow. Certainly 'trying' to stick on surfaces... Just been over to Blackheath where they too are enjoying some nice snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Probably is anaprop, but it is only light stuff over me on the radar so it could possibly be so light it isn't making it to the ground.

That's not a bad thing, the smaller the drops of rain, the harder to freeze, therefore they would fall as rain if they hit the ground.

Is it me, or does the Western flank of that band keep intensifying?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

We've been through the rain and sleet phase here in Oadby, Leicester, and it's now snowing moderately. Doesn't appear to be settling. 1c.

woo-hoo! music to my ears, that gives me a ray of hope then.... no precip here yet, but there's hope!

Posted

Moderate wet snow here for awhile now, no chance of sticking though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

The snow has resumed here now - heavy enough to start covering tyre tracks in the road

Posted

I must admit I'm finding it difficult to keep my ramping under control this afternoon. The latest NMM is a peach with precipitation rates of 5mm/an hour progged:

post-5649-12664084511117_thumb.png

(chart copyright Netweather Extra- please subscribe for more)

The NMM actually suggests as much as 23mm of precipitation tomorrow.

The potential here is massive. Please don't downgrade! :)

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

Snow really starting to come down - not a hint of sleetiness which is excellent news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

still waiting for precip to fall out of the sky here!! So close, but still not here yet....

Posted

It seems to have been even more marginal then was progged by the models, I did think last night though that anywhere east of B'ham was going to get just rain and it seems like its been even marginal west of the longitutde of B'ham, any heavier bursts will still help to dig the snow level down yet further.

Tomorrow probably favours the east Midlands more due to the timing of the front, there will stil lbe snow for the western Midlands but timings suggest it won't settle, whilst East Midlands has more of a chance in that respect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Snow really starting to come down - not a hint of sleetiness which is excellent news.

Yet again, a few meters difference in elevation & 5 miles in location can make a difference....Sleety rain here with the odd flake mixed in....to be frank, cold & crap!

Posted

Also worth noting the GFS is a little milder then the NAE with regards to the dew points and would suggest that tomorrows event is every bit as marignal as todays, which is why obviously the longer it takes for the front to come in during the day the better it'll be for you guys in the Midlands, if it comes in peak afternoon then its probably going to be sleety mixture.

Posted

I must admit I'm finding it difficult to keep my ramping under control this afternoon. The latest NMM is a peach with precipitation rates of 5mm/an hour progged:

post-5649-12664084511117_thumb.png

(chart copyright Netweather Extra- please subscribe for more)

The NMM actually suggests as much as 23mm of precipitation tomorrow.

The potential here is massive. Please don't downgrade! :rolleyes:

Looks good for your area, although further south maybe more marginal, id expect it to be more chance of snow here but will there be any precip? Somewhere should have a very fun day though thats for sure.

Posted

Yet again, a few meters difference in elevation & 5 miles in location can make a difference....Sleety rain here with the odd flake mixed in....to be frank, cold & crap!

Turned to mostly rain now. As Ian suggested earlier my temperature is rising rapidly, 1.3c now, so it is turning out to be a thoroughly wet, cold and miserable day.

Posted

It did turn to snow briefly here...but now just rain with not a single flake mixed in.

Really is just a wet and horrible day out there now.

In a winter where there is such much potential brings the risk of so much let down i'm afraid. We can't tap in the wind direction when its cold enough for the snow and when we do get the precipitation it comes as rain (with early January being the glorious exception). A hazard of living in the Midlands...it really is an all or nothing weather prospects living here isn't it?

I'd like the rain to stop now and the sun to come out. What chance of that happening?