Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Well, it's UK really but seeing as it is dead quiet, the mods don't seem to bothered.

It is pretty cold back in my hometown (Geneva) due to a strong "bise" blowing from the nether parts of the north and bringing that cold airmass above central europe. "Bise" is a wind, from a northerly quadrant, it heralds cold and sunny days. An appropriate choice of alias for me....

Posted

The last few nights have seen some of the coldest temps in years locally here, on the east coast of Ireland, so the cold is not confined to Continental Europe by any means.

-5C for two consecutive nights may not seem like much to most on here, but until this winter, the last time I recorded -5C or lower IMBY was New Years Night 2001/2002!

Im in a very difficult location for low min temps, with the sea to my north and east.

Im usually plagued by cloud cover and/or warm sea air, if the wind is anywhere between N and SE.

For instance, on Monday morning my -5C suddenly rose to 0C, shortly BEFORE sunrise, when a very light east breeze developed.closedeyes.gif

Low SSTs at this time of year have helped to a certain extent, no doubt.

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted

Can see this thread being fairly quiet over the next few days, however, cold weather can occur right through to early May, northerlies being our best source. A northerly like in late March 2008 or early April 2008 would probably call reason for the regional threads to start again.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very impressive start to March minima wise- I wonder when the last time was they were this low for so long? I wreckon at leat 30 years, possibly even back to the 1940's.

Air frosts on 7 of the last 10 nights (including tonight)- all of which sub -4c (assuming tonight will be as its already -3c).

Lowest -7.1c on the 5th, closely followed by last night at -6.7c.

The cold of the night times has been offset by maxima close to average, with today the highest at 10.4c, a range of 17.1c from the low!

Posted

Oh well the regional place is now closed, all shutting up for the year now it's warming up. Strange to see the Cold Spell Discussion still open, but without it I wouldn't be able to say it's strange to see the Cold Spell Discussion still open. Goodbye.

My garden is still white and we are still getting very cold nights John. Down to -8C some nights. The possibility for more snow at this time of year would not be unusal and in fact would be expected!

It is now 7.45am and we are still at -4C with blue skies and the promise of a lovely day.

Oh well the regional place is now closed, all shutting up for the year now it's warming up. Strange to see the Cold Spell Discussion still open, but without it I wouldn't be able to say it's strange to see the Cold Spell Discussion still open. Goodbye.

I know, it's so warm that we only have small patches of snow left in lowland Scotland :lol:

post-2844-12682197773555_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12682198141355_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12682198403455_thumb.jpg

These pics were taken yesterday afternoon at about 3pm, there has not been much snow melt after an overnight low of -6ºC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

The Lammermuir Hills here are still beautifully white and boy does it feel chilly today with that wind just beginning to feel its presence. More rain/Sleet/snow to come tomorrow then! Scottish hills and mountains in for yet more snowfall.

Posted

Another very cold day here, max 2.5c after an overnight low of -3.5, mainly sunny today which makes that top temperature even more unusual, this far south to see such little effect of solar energy this late into the year is pretty amazing. Near the coast areas around Biarritz towards San Sebastian have had more snow today,looking towards northern Italy the low which brought those record snowfalls to the Med coastal regions is now bringing heavy snow over there.

It's finally expected to warm up a bit here next week but in the meantime snow flurries forecast for tomorrow and then on Saturday before that high sinks se.

Posted

I have now gone 3 complete months without recording a double figure temperature!

The last was on 9 Dec when 11.3c was reached.

The highest since then was 9.3c on 22 Jan!

The highest so far this month was 8.4c on 1 March and, after showing signs of slowly becoming milder in the previous few days, today has seen the maximum reduce again to just 6.0c with a significant windchill from the ENE!

Posted

Today has been another cold winter like day with the maxima only reaching 4.4C, with a a cold windchill. Still I have seen nothing Spring-like so far this March

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have now gone 3 complete months without recording a double figure temperature!

The last was on 9 Dec when 11.3c was reached.

The highest since then was 9.3c on 22 Jan!

The highest so far this month was 8.4c on 1 March and, after showing signs of slowly becoming milder in the previous few days, today has seen the maximum reduce again to just 6.0c with a significant windchill from the ENE!

Unless Cleadon has recorded a max of 10C or above in the last five days (which seems unlikely) the same can be said for Cleadon too, since the last maximum over 10C was on the 10th December.

Today has been another cold winter like day with the maxima only reaching 4.4C, with a a cold windchill. Still I have seen nothing Spring-like so far this March

You need to move somewhere nice and warm like here in Scotland :whistling: 9C today and as high as 11C on Saturday. Although the snow on the ground makes it look/feel a lot colder.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

how are you people in the south east achieving these temps up north with say -3c mins under cloud we still manage to reach 9c... that irritates me!diablo.gif

how are you people in the south east achieving these temps up north with say -3c mins under cloud we still manage to reach 9c... that irritates me!diablo.gif

Cloud?

The temp range here was 15C today: -6C to 9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ditto.

I make it 91 days and counting.

Brrr.

STORMBOY

Posted

what a great March we are having so far, lovely clear sunny sky's by day (quite warm I may add to) and frosty cold chilly nights, perfect run up to spring and then summer.

Posted

I wasn't sure where to post this, but should the front moving South tonight produce rain and any showers following actually occur tomorrow will, with the HIGH set to dominate until at least Tuesday 16 March, be the only precipitation day in the South for that first 16 days of the month!

Posted

9th frost (-2.5c last night) so far this month,should make 10 with tonight`s http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn1217.png

16 frosts in March 2006.

Today was chillier than I expected really 6.8c max was lower to yesterdays and upper air was only just below 0c.

NE wind most of the day and sunny.

Very dry now fires are getting out of contol in North Wales,gorse fires.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Cloud?

The temp range here was 15C today: -6C to 9C.

well today was a prime example it was -2c this morning under cloud and it managed to rise to 10c even in scotland!!! but if that was in the south east it would still manage to only be 3 or 4c above 0c.. and we are currently jammed at 8c with cloud and rain i think the wet summer has come already!dry.gif

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

49 air frosts so far this year which is already 2 more than the whole of last year and the most in any year since 2001 which had 59. Even if the remainder of the year were to be no better than average the 2001 total would be easily achievable but you can never take these things for granted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

If ice is your thing,check those pics of Geneva where strong winds and sub-zero temperatures combined to create some lovely (if slippery...) ice sculptures by the lake...

Chilly!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
fixed link

Posted
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)

-4c min last night-but this morning in Biggin Hill when I looked out the kitchen window there was snow flakes mixed in with rain not many granted :whistling:

-so does that count as day with snow falling:D it will be the first in March this year.

Edited by thevalley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

-4c min last night-but this morning in Biggin Hill when I looked out the kitchen window there was snow flakes mixed in with rain not many granted :bad:

-so does that count as day with snow falling:D it will be the first in March this year.

Yes it does count as a day with sleet/snow falling. Even a few blobs of sleet on the car windscreen, which you wouldn't have noticed if you'd been walking, count if you see them.

The number of days with sleet/snow falling at a place is highly dependent on the assiduousness of the observer and it's for this reason that the Met' Office grade stations from A to D. An A station would be somewhere like a major airfield where there is someone watching the weather 24 hours a day whereas a D station would be a climate station were the instruments are read once a day at 0900 and the observer isn't necessarily present at any other time.

Posted

+7C and just a couple of small patches of snow left. Spring might have sprung...... we have crocus and snowdrops, able to see them now the snow has gone !!