Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Very much feels like late winter than early Spring, the outlook is far spring like in terms of temps, yes there will be some good sunshine, but some very cold nights ahead, and out of the sun still jolly chilly, its going to be a shick to the system when we see out first double digit max of the year, which seems a long way off yet!

We actually saw 11C for about 10 minutes in late January but it was preceeded by 5C and rain and succeeded by 0C and clear skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

A cracker of a morning, frozen and blue skies. Now the sun is out and it's lovely. The white hills of the Peak District are a plus also.

It's only been spring for 3 days and the first 2 days felt pleasant and warm in the sun.

I do have to laugh at some of your comments.

Yes it has felt pleasant in the sun in the afternoon but for me the crunch of several inches of snow underfoot reminds me that winter has not gone far :lol:

It's all a matter of opinion really :lol:

Well i frankly am sick to death of the oh buts its warm in the sun comments, that is something you will always contend with in March but it doesnt change the fact out of the sun and when it goes down it feels like winter.

Trees usually come into blossom when the weather is like spring but there is NO SIGN of that whatsoever, trees are as bare as the countryside, insect wise you get bees, big buzzards etc coming out when its springlike too but apart from some small flies in the sun i havent see any at all, spring definately hasnt sprung here in warwickshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think this is one area where you could argue either way and have a viable case for your argument. On one hand, we have a cold airmass and it's frosty by night (common signatures of winter), on the other, it does feel quite warm in the sun, and across many parts of the country the sunshine has sent daytime temperatures up to near average values- a common signature of spring.

Well i frankly am sick to death of the oh buts its warm in the sun comments, that is something you will always contend with in March but it doesnt change the fact out of the sun and when it goes down it feels like winter.

Trees usually come into blossom when the weather is like spring but there is NO SIGN of that whatsoever, trees are as bare as the countryside, insect wise you get bees, big buzzards etc coming out when its springlike too but apart from some small flies in the sun i havent see any at all, spring definately hasnt sprung here in warwickshire.

My "pleasant in the sun" comment was a little tongue in cheek Eugene so calm yer jets big man!! :)

There is as much sign of Elvis returning to earth as there is of spring.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

My "pleasant in the sun" comment was a little tongue in cheek Eugene so calm yer jets big man!! :lol:

There is as much sign of Elvis returning to earth as there is of spring.

You don't have to apologise to these people for feeling warm in the sun, it's not some kind of weather blasphemy to mention the warm word.

All the smokers at our place today were sitting out in the yard soaking up the sun. None of them were wearing coats, wooly hats and gloves. It was WARM. See I said it and I haven't been struck down by the weather Gods.

Posted

Down to -1.1c last night and some early rime on the trees,very much a winters morning,with a cold east wind.

Max of 4.9c today with much stronger sunshine to yesterday yet temps very similar.

Looking like a possible severe frost early next week.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn907.png

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn9017.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Down to -1.1c last night and some early rime on the trees,very much a winters morning,with a cold east wind.

Max of 4.9c today with much stronger sunshine to yesterday yet temps very similar.

Looking like a possible severe frost early next week.

http://www.wzkarten....cs/Rtavn907.png

http://www.wzkarten....s/Rtavn9017.png

for you and western areas maybe, but for me and all of E England I see it turning miserable from Monday, slate grey skies, max of 4, min of 2, and bit of drizzle

as the true saying goes west is best, or 'when the wind's in the west, the weather's at its best'! hate Easterlies in spring, would rather have the Atlantic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It all depends on where the HP ends up- if the GFS 12Z run comes off then I think the assessment of dull and drizzly from Monday onwards sounds about right for East Anglia and the southeast (a bright showery easterly is unlikely with the cold air mixing itself out by then), with this weather possibly transferring inland across southern areas, though NE England may be too far north to experience the cloud cover from the easterly. If the HP ends up further south though the dull drizzly weather is unlikely to materialise.

as the true saying goes west is best, or 'when the wind's in the west, the weather's at its best'! hate Easterlies in spring, would rather have the Atlantic

The saying goes:

"The north wind doth bring snow,

The east wind is good for neither man nor beast,

The wind in the west suits everyone best",

but I get the impression that the saying is referring to a preference for mild, westerly dominated winters instead of cold snowy ones, rather than referring to the cool overcast weather often associated with easterly winds in early to mid spring.

A westerly type doesn't look too likely for the foreseeable future but the MetO are hinting at possible westerlies around midmonth.

You don't have to apologise to these people for feeling warm in the sun, it's not some kind of weather blasphemy to mention the warm word.

All the smokers at our place today were sitting out in the yard soaking up the sun. None of them were wearing coats, wooly hats and gloves. It was WARM. See I said it and I haven't been struck down by the weather Gods.

The weather gods will get you when you least expect it JL :lol:

I can't see anyone sitting out up here for a while; not unless they like a cold bottom :)

Today is the 9th day in a row of complete snow cover. There are a few signs that the snow is starting to thaw, but it is not going anywhere fast.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

for you and western areas maybe, but for me and all of E England I see it turning miserable from Monday, slate grey skies, max of 4, min of 2, and bit of drizzle

Still looking like one of the coldest March nights this decade/last decade now on sunday night.

As clearer skies come back in from the east,very cold uppers into france will clear the cloud.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn6617.png

Cloud come in from a NW-ly today,min of -3.1c and a max of 7.9c so higher daytime temps today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Still looking like one of the coldest March nights this decade/last decade now on sunday night.

As clearer skies come back in from the east,very cold uppers into france will clear the cloud.

http://www.wzkarten....s/Rtavn6617.png

Cloud come in from a NW-ly today,min of -3.1c and a max of 7.9c so higher daytime temps today.

Yes could be cold sunday night even here before monday's cloud rolls in, I had min of -3.1°C as well, but high of 10.0C, 200m lower

Posted

A big change here today-after a succession of sunny pleasant days and frosty nights today saw increasing cloud and virtually no sunshine-recently we got down to -5c most nights but without any wind it was lovely,today with a moderate breeze it felt perishing and of course tomorrow promises more of the same with some light rain thrown in as well. Roll on sunday and back to our springlike days and bitter nights.

Maxs of 5C forecasted tomorrow which in end to end clear blue skies and sunshine is very impressive indeed, shows just how cold the airmass is getting advected over us tonight with very cold low level air entrained, watch temps drop like a stone as soon as the sun starts to go down tomorrow afternoon cold.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see some 2C to 3C maxs tomorrow in isolated spots.

Posted

Maxs of 5C forecasted tomorrow which in end to end clear blue skies and sunshine is very impressive indeed, shows just how cold the airmass is getting advected over us tonight with very cold low level air entrained, watch temps drop like a stone as soon as the sun starts to go down tomorrow afternoon cold.gif

That sounds exciting.

Posted

Hi,

Do you think that we could see one more widespread snow event before we finally see a warm up as Spring arrives in earnest? As we all know snowy episodes in March and even April are certainly possible so do you think we could be looking at a snowy spell say in the middle of this month before milder weather takes hold. Of course it won't stay on the ground that long because of the strengthening sun but significant falls cannot be ruled out. Most Marches in recent years have seen at least some snowfall and I would not expect this one to be an exception especially after the cold winter we have had. Talking of that was April 2008 a Northerly event and was it a frontal type snow event?

Luke

Posted

Yeah recent winters have usually brought snow in March and sometimes April, 2006 and 2008 been good examples, I would be surprised if we didn't see any more snow till next winter. A northerly is looking very likely, but whether it affects the UK or further east remains to be seen.

Yeah recent winters have usually brought snow in March and sometimes April, 2006 and 2008 been good examples, I would be surprised if we didn't see any more snow till next winter. A northerly is looking very likely, but whether it affects the UK or further east remains to be seen.

A northerly would be perfect for some sunshine and showers. As you say, anything along the lines of the northerly in the second week of April 2006 would be fine :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

why am i forecasted 8c maxes?? i hate the way the sun just decides to be stronger here when i dont want it like that... and just over in scotland they are 4c.... typical! EDIT: already upto 3c after it being 0c just an hour ago! this is typical.. the weather even gives everything to england!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

It managed to be colder than all those cold nights in March 2006 a min of -6.1c :(

Coldest March night since 2001,a light E/SE wind now -0.3c

Rrea00120010303.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A rather mild -6.0c last night laugh.gif

Yes -6C here too.

Seems the low dewpoints are having a big effect on night time minima and more to come it seems.