Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It's been an odd mix during the past 36 hours in Fife. Fairly reasonable snowfall yesterday (around 7-8 centimetres) turing to sleet by late afternoon and continuing to fall as sleet overnight, as temperatures rose. The temps have been on the up again since sunrise today and have only just peaked at 4.4°C. Interesting to see the temps go up after sundown yesterday and the drop again in the early hours of this morning:

http://www.fifeweath...hourgraphs.html

Cheers,

Graham

Posted

I've just read this story on BBC News; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8538060.stm

A vast iceberg which broke off the Antarctic continent this month could disrupt the world's ocean currents and weather patterns, scientists warn.

Australian researchers say the iceberg - the size of Luxembourg - could block an area that produces a quarter of the world's dense and very cold seawater.

They say a slowdown in the production of this water could result in colder winters in the north Atlantic.

It couldn't have already affected weather patterns could it?

Posted

I've just read this story on BBC News; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8538060.stm

It couldn't have already affected weather patterns could it?

Interesting read.

Apparently our ocean currents did change during Jan 2010 when the Gulf stream briefly connected with the west Greenland current temporarily diverting it W of Greenland. Apparently the extreme negative phase of the AO was responsible for this.

Some scientists still disagree in how a shut down will impact our weather. Some claim a return to a big freeze like the Younger Dryas period and some claim there will be little impact. However many do agree a cooldown would occur with Ireland having a climate similiar to Spitzbergen and this cooldown could oocur within the space of 10yrs!

I love my cold weather but I don't think I would want a massive shift in the climate that brings an ice age to the UK. However in saying this after our recent poor summers, cold winters I do feel our weather patterns have changed and wouldn't be surprised if the next few winters are on the cold side similiar to how the 1960's was a cold decade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Interesting read.

Apparently our ocean currents did change during Jan 2010 when the Gulf stream briefly connected with the west Greenland current temporarily diverting it W of Greenland. Apparently the extreme negative phase of the AO was responsible for this.

Some scientists still disagree in how a shut down will impact our weather. Some claim a return to a big freeze like the Younger Dryas period and some claim there will be little impact. However many do agree a cooldown would occur with Ireland having a climate similiar to Spitzbergen and this cooldown could oocur within the space of 10yrs!

I love my cold weather but I don't think I would want a massive shift in the climate that brings an ice age to the UK. However in saying this after our recent poor summers, cold winters I do feel our weather patterns have changed and wouldn't be surprised if the next few winters are on the cold side similiar to how the 1960's was a cold decade.

I was reading an article on how it would affect Western Norway and Scotland (two areas geographically linked in terms of the last ice age, hence the deep sea Lochs and the Norwegian Fjords) and it was discussing the possibility of a 12'C drop in Western Scotland and Western Norway, making places like Stornoway, Kyle of Lochalsh etc plummet in temperature. I can only begin to imagine what this would do to the Machair of Eilean Siar :lol:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=203&FILE=awa&DAY=20100226

Temperatures up & down

Wet & windy Sunday?

Issued: 1000 Friday 26th February 2010

Duty forecaster: John Ejdowski

More settled later

The weather looks quite changeable for much of the forecast period. Quite a deep depression is expected to run into the channel across south east England ion Sunday bringing gales and heavy rain. As it moves into the North Sea a colder north west airstream sets in. Towards the latter part of the forecast we expect a strong cell of high pressure to develop but with a north east wind flow, sunshine may be at a premium with frosts by night.

Weatheronline's latest forecast is expecting sunshine to be at a premium next week, i would agree though it should be ok in the north and west, southeastern and eastern areas might have to suffer the cold murk or snow :lol:

Posted

Cold today with a pretty strong west wind,it feels very cold just 3.3c even had a light shower of rain/sleet and snowflakes. :lol:

Posted

Dull today and has been foggy with some earlier rain/sleet and snow,now just rain, last night got down to 1c and clear with a ground frost,raw with an east wind although temps are higher now at 4.8c.

As for this storm it`s not a night for being out cold and very wet!!!

Some back edge snow.

http://wzkarten.de/pics/brack0a.gif

Next week looks like yet another cold reload so March this year overall looks cold.

Devil is in the detail from very cold easterlies to SE-lys to a low over us or a N-ly theres still nothing mild on the horizon WOW ;)

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Recm1681.gif

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Any idea of the PPN coming out of the current system moving down through southern scotland?

2ef2mfd.png

Its moving ESE so probably will miss Blackpool, athough I would think that its cold enough for it to certainly fall as snow in the higher parts of Cumbria and in the NE/Yorks even to lower levels. :blink:

Edited by snowray

Posted

OMG had mod to heavy snow for most of the night, where did that come from. It left around 1-2cm, a real suprise.

I imagine from the PPN I pointed out! :drinks:

I imagine from the PPN I pointed out! :(

:drinks:

As if it wasn't seen on radar (by you and others) or picked out on the 12pm FAX chart yesterday just north of Northern Ireland:

post-2844-12675461039055_thumb.png

Posted

Any idea of the PPN coming out of the current system moving down through southern scotland?

2ef2mfd.png

That shower reached here and gave a decent dusting.

Posted

Some very cold uppers look like clipping parts of the SE on Saturday perhpas -12's, if any showers do develop these will be of snow and I expect maxes to be very supressed, perhaps only making 3 degrees. It very much is a cold outlook.

BBC said yesterday was pleasantly warm, what a joke that was when i came out of work at 5 30 pm it felt so cold i wish i had my gloves ands scarfs on, everyone else in the rush hour was wearing scarfs and gloves so much for the pleasant warmth hey smile.gif

Edited by Eugene

Posted

BBC said yesterday was pleasantly warm, what a joke that was when i came out of work at 5 30 pm it felt so cold i wish i had my gloves ands scarfs on, everyone else in the rush hour was wearing scarfs and gloves so much for the pleasant warmth hey smile.gif

But it was pleasantly warm between 11am and 2pm. not warm @ 5:30 pm when the sun had gone down.rolleyes.gif

Very cold 850`s in the short term, amazing how long this cold winter has gone on into the spring

/size]

It's only been spring for 3 days and the first 2 days felt pleasant and warm in the sun.

I do have to laugh at some of your comments.

Edited by Coast

Posted

It's only been spring for 3 days and the first 2 days felt pleasant and warm in the sun.

I do have to laugh at some of your comments.

Spring sunshine can actually create a deceiving feeling!

CET temperatures are currently below average and they are likely to stay like that for the next week or so, mainly thanks to the cold minimas.

Karyo

Posted

But it was pleasantly warm between 11am and 2pm. not warm @ 5:30 pm when the sun had gone down.rolleyes.gif

I agree with that, early afternoon on Tuesday was very pleasant indeed. The sun had a considerable amount of warmth, although the air was still cool. Just shows that winter is on the way out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was much the same in Norwich yesterday- pretty chilly at 5:30pm once the sun went down, but around 12-2pm it did feel genuinely warm in the sun. Temperatures have been quite close to normal by day, reaching 8-10C in many places, the below-average temperatures have been reserved for overnight under the clear skies- another signature of the increasing strength of the sun at this time of year.

However with increased cloud cover today it felt quite a bit colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Not a day to go out lightly dressed today, very little sun and a cold wind blowing, spring my backside...

Posted

Very much feels like late winter than early Spring, the outlook is far spring like in terms of temps, yes there will be some good sunshine, but some very cold nights ahead, and out of the sun still jolly chilly, its going to be a shick to the system when we see out first double digit max of the year, which seems a long way off yet!

Posted

Very much feels like late winter than early Spring, the outlook is far spring like in terms of temps, yes there will be some good sunshine, but some very cold nights ahead, and out of the sun still jolly chilly, its going to be a shick to the system when we see out first double digit max of the year, which seems a long way off yet!

I've already seen double figures.rofl.gif (11.7C to be exact)