Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

very light snow for about 1 hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

i knew we were forecast some snow overnight , but i'm quite shocked at how much as fallen , we have about 2-3 inches and it's still snowing ,the temp has risen above freezing now so i expect it will start to thaw once it stops...the only downer is my son's Rugby match has been called off again

Posted

A moderate snow shower happening here at the moment, but there's also some thawing going on too. The radar shows possible snow showers this morning and it sounds like an interesting week is in store! laugh.gif

Edited by loobiloo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

kiss of death lol Heavy snow across Cumbria this morning will give falls of 2 to 8 centimetres in places, more especially in the south. The snow should ease later this morning and at first this afternoon.

[

Have you got any snow TS

Posted

Got up, it was belting down in Warrington - then look at the radar and the back edge is here already.

A rather feeble inch / 2-3 cm I would estimate.

Sounds good.

Interesting about Langdale, I posted some time back about a band of wintry weather (December 1st-2nd) that moved in from the west in which the snow was mainly on high ground generally above 1000 feet/300 metres for the northern Pennines and around 1500 feet/450 metres for the Peak District. However webcams revealed a surprising cover of snow the next day in the Langdale area at heights of only 100-120 metres.

Whilst it is possible that precipitation is enhanced and lowers the freezing level I wonder if it is more likely that the area is occasionally susceptible to having trapped temperature inversions, with the bulk of the Scafell range hindering mixing of the air.

Yes temperature inversions often develop at the head of the valley in particular keeping the fields frost covered, also evaporative cooling tends to take place when precipitation falls, it is after borrowdale probably the wettest valley in the country especially at its head.

The sun worked easily on the southern slopes of the langdale pikes yesterday whilst the northern slopes of the lingmoor fell remained snow covered down to valley level.

Back to today - we have now got the heavy snow lovely big fluffy snowflakes, not quitean inch yet, however, I doubt it will clear this area until early afternoon so hopefully should get a decent 2-3 inches out of it. The front looks like hooking into south east cumbria so we could easily see snow on and off for much of the afternoon. We are likely to see our heaviest snowfall since the 5th Jan when we last saw 3 inches, which shows how much of a snow shield we have been in since then. Next week mmmm wednesday screams potential for major singificant snow with a stalling front and biting north easterly undercut - could be a classic.

Posted

Glad I got some kip last night as the Snow didn't start until 5.30-6am here, according to the MetO RADAR. Woken up to see a good couple of cm covering, am hoping for clearer skies behind the trough later on into the day for some good shots of it departing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Woke up at around 7am this morning to find 3-4 inches of level snow on the grass and maybe 2-3 inches elsewhere. Beautiful scene with snow even blanketing the trees. I took a walk to get some bread and in some places the snow was around my ankles. Best snowfall of this winter for here although it is melting fast now

15cm of snow here near buxton

Can believe that Codge. Heard some people saying that Buxton was cut off at the garage when I went to get some bread this morning. Was not expecting the scene I woke up to this morning I must admit. Can't remember the last time I had snow up to my ankles here, didn't even get that in the new year cold spell

Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Woke up at around 7am this morning to find 3-4 inches of level snow on the grass and maybe 2-3 inches elsewhere. Beautiful scene with snow even blanketing the trees. I took a walk to get some bread and in some places the snow was around my ankles. Best snowfall of this winter for here although it is melting fast now

Indeed

what a lovely morning,and yes drip-drip now

round 2 on wed thoughcold.gif

C.S

Posted

A moderate snow shower happening here at the moment, but there's also some thawing going on too. The radar shows possible snow showers this morning and it sounds like an interesting week is in store! laugh.gif

started snowing at 4am. this morning. 10cm. here just on way out of Macclesfield. Snowing again now getting rid of the car tracks.

Posted

started snowing at 4am. this morning. 10cm. here just on way out of Macclesfield. Snowing again now getting rid of the car tracks.

We woke early, about 7am, and it was slowing down at the time. But I wasn't sure when it started. The ground must have been good and cold hence the fact that it accumulated - it was a very clear sky in the late evening.

Hopefully there is more to come... :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We got about 0.5cm of snow here, literally a dusting. Not much. The problem was that the ground was warm so it kept melting when it was falling. Apart from a few patches the snow has gone now.

Posted

We got about 0.5cm of snow here, literally a dusting. Not much. The problem was that the ground was warm so it kept melting when it was falling. Apart from a few patches the snow has gone now.

Hopefully more wed/thurs?

C.S

Posted

Aaron

Indeed it was/is a beautiful scene in our neck of the woods this morning.. biggest snowfall of the winter so far.

Posted

Hopefully more wed/thurs?

C.S

What a dissapintment again! Got about a centimetre and a half and its melting fast due to the bloody sun ! wallbash.gif

Posted

had snow since about 8.00 am but it hasnt layed

Posted

What a dissapintment again! Got about a centimetre and a half and its melting fast due to the bloody sun ! wallbash.gif

Better thain rain LOL

The thing with us in NW England is we dont mind sharing or snow,not like other places i could mentiondry.gif

ukmo just updated there warning for the week for our region

C.S

Posted

Think I was being a bit optimistic earlier this morning with my prediction of maybe 3 inches here, alas we have just managed about an inch even though it has been snowing for a good 4 hours now and still is. The trouble is the snow is mainly light and very sleety and wet in nature, now and again it has become moderate meaning it sticks, but when it goes light it is quickly melting. Had the snow been heavier than we would easily have had a good 2-3 inch cover by now.

I expect the snow to not really ease until the middle of the afternoon albeit staying mainly light and sleety, the end result will likely be just maintaining the inch or so cover we have now, however, it is unlikely to melt given skies won't be clearing until after dusk.

Its a cold day max so far of nearly 1 degree, may scrape a 2 once the snow stops, looking like a cold night mins widely around -5 I suspect.

Posted

Same here! Woke up to a nice covering of about 2.5/3 cm which melted whle I was in Church!!! There's patches in the shady parts but it's going fast. Sky is grey and looks like rain.... :rolleyes:

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

Still snowing here, though looking at the radar it looks like fizzling out in the next half hour, still 5 hours of continuous snowfall isn't bad, shame it was never particularly heavy, as I speak it is fast melting from roofs and roads turning into a slushy mess, the hills will look very nice if the skies can brighten a bit this afternoon.