Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Looks like we are in for a soaking this week while a little way up the M1 they are going to get pounded by snowwallbash.gif

Any chance of the colder uppers reaching north bucks ?

Posted

Thanks for the pics, think that highlights how marginal our snow events have been, there isnt the really cold air in place to allow it to stay more than 5minutes almost. It may be febuary but i dont buy the crap about it being to warm during feb, if the right synoptics occured we would get some serious cold still and the snow wouldnt melt in no time at all.

Posted

Managed to break down in the car at Herringfleet, absolutely freezing, took nearly two hours for breakdown to be obtained and rescued, luckily a farmer took pity on us and took us to the farm to give us some coffee, and it started to snow although it had been sleeting/raining heavily so it didnt stick.now overcast here but dry.

Posted

Thanks for the pics, think that highlights how marginal our snow events have been, there isnt the really cold air in place to allow it to stay more than 5minutes almost. It may be febuary but i dont buy the crap about it being to warm during feb, if the right synoptics occured we would get some serious cold still and the snow wouldnt melt in no time at all.

Very much agree with what you say. I think the reason why so many posters think this to

be the case in February is that they have never experienced a true Arctic blast in February.

Temperatures of 2 or 3 in the second half of the month with a higher sun angle will lead to

a much faster thaw than in December or January.

A true Arctic blast from the north, northeast which by the way has been just out of reach

this month could still deliver 850 temperatures of -12 to -15c and maximum temperatures

of 0c to -2c, possibly -3c even and a lasting snow pack.

Posted

Very much agree with what you say. I think the reason why so many posters think this to

be the case in February is that they have never experienced a true Arctic blast in February.

Temperatures of 2 or 3 in the second half of the month with a higher sun angle will lead to

a much faster thaw than in December or January.

A true Arctic blast from the north, northeast which by the way has been just out of reach

this month could still deliver 850 temperatures of -12 to -15c and maximum temperatures

of 0c to -2c, possibly -3c even and a lasting snow pack.

Yes I would have to agree this month has been frustrating that possibly it could of been even snowier than January with all the signals (Deep Negative NAO + AO, Stratospheric warming etc). Regarding this week, I think tomorrow may give snow to some areas in the region, but most likely in the spots that saw it on Thursday, looks pretty dreadful for the South East it has to be said, Im sure the current synoptics would lead to flooding in those areas.

Posted

Managed to break down in the car at Herringfleet, absolutely freezing, took nearly two hours for breakdown to be obtained and rescued, luckily a farmer took pity on us and took us to the farm to give us some coffee, and it started to snow although it had been sleeting/raining heavily so it didnt stick.now overcast here but dry.

Sorry to hear about your car trouble. Here's a photo I took of the Mill at Herringfleet last year.

post-11482-12667653622817_thumb.jpg

Posted

I saw another met office advisory for Wednesday...oooh....another chance for snow as we are going to miss out again on Monday...... :hi::D:hi: It was a warning of torrential wretched rain :D:wallbash: :wallbash:

i am really confused now bucks people.We have a weather watch be aware for heavy snow yet on the forecast its rain

Spotted that too, just too marginal to call I suppose. Down to Mother Nature to decide I guess, and thankfully She does love to give surprises :rolleyes:

Posted

I saw another met office advisory for Wednesday...oooh....another chance for snow as we are going to miss out again on Monday...... wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif It was a warning of torrential wretched rain wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Spotted that too, just too marginal to call I suppose. Down to Mother Nature to decide I guess, and thankfully She does love to give surprises rolleyes.gif

theres some nice looking clouds out there

you never know snowangel

Posted

It would be sods law that we have a low tracking far enough south and yet the

upper temperatures are no longer cold enough to support snow.

I said yesterday that I thought this low would tend to run further south along the

channel and I still think areas such as east Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and

Hertfordshire then on into Cambridgeshire will see some lying snow tomorrow,

with a wintry mix elsewhere.

Edited by cooling climate

Posted

The gritters are out in St. Albans tonight, a good sign? laugh.gif

What time is the PPN likely to arrive?

thats a great sign

no word of a lie i just looked outside little white dots falling every now and then

Posted

It would be sods law that we have a low tracking far enough south and yet the

upper temperatures are no longer cold enough to support snow.

I said yesterday that I thought this low would tend to run further south along the

channel and I still think areas such as east Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and

Hertfordshire then on into Cambridgeshire will see some lying snow tomorrow,

with a wintry mix elsewhere.

Latest NAE charts support this:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=24&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

So according to this chart, for snow tomorrow you will have to be in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Bucks, Herts, Northampton, Oxfordshire, Eastern Gloucestershire and North Wiltshere

Posted

http://www.weatheron...0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

So according to this chart, for snow tomorrow you will have to be in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Bucks, Herts, Northampton, Oxfordshire, Eastern Gloucestershire and North Wiltshere

Wow, it's gonna be awfully close! :crazy:

Snowman, any clues on PPN arrival time?

Posted

http://www.weatheron...0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

everytings coming to fruition

Posted

Wow, it's gonna be awfully close! :cray:

Snowman, any clues on PPN arrival time?

Mid morning, I should think, my guesses for possible accumilations would be between 2-5cm on this set up, Dew points look ok for tomorrow, 0C widely

Posted

Are you expecting snow in St. Albans Saint. :cray:

No idea mate, not looking forward to visiting St. Albans then? :lol: :lol: Well it seems the Council and Herts Highways think it would well snow! I don't think they would be putting it down if it's gonna rain because they still have low supplys of it and it's still being limited by the government to Herts so.....

Posted

No idea mate, not looking forward to visiting St. Albans then? :lol: :lol: Well it seems the Council and Herts Highways think it would well snow! I don't think they would be putting it down if it's gonna rain because they still have low supplys of it and it's still being limited by the government to Herts so.....

May well be but I think it will be rain in Hertford, Im in St. Albans every Wednesday on market day.:cray:

Posted

May well be but I think it will be rain in Hertford, Im in St. Albans every Wednesday on market day.:cray:

You work on the market then?

I have no idea of prostpects here, recent posts suggest though the chance of snow.:lol:

Posted

You work on the market then?

I have no idea of prostpects here, recent posts suggest though the chance of snow.:cray:

.....Cough Cough NAE model!!!!! Cough Cough.........