Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Lots of snow here, settling on cars and grass, big floaty flakes. Temp has been all over the place

since last night. It was 3.9c when I went to bed at 11.30pm, then I woke at 4am it was 2.5c, then

when I got up at 7am it was 1.2c and the snow symbol was showing and now at almost 10am it's 0.8c

At least it's not settling on the roads :drinks:

Posted

Just had a thought...

The temp is dropping here with a biting NE wind.

Im wondering because if this LP is further SE that it was progged, Its bringing colder air south ( colder than should of been )

Maybe this coming heavy rain over the next day or so will fall as snow ( or at least will have a better chance to )

Any thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing...

I was expecting a "rain only" event this morning in Trowbridge, but at 8:00 it was snowing!

Temperature and Dew Point was also dropping... Temp was down to 1.5°c when I left.

Here in Bath (at the top of Lansdown), it's 0.5°c and still snowing, but pretty light.

However, it is starting to stick on the grass.

If we can hang on to this cold air, like you say, maybe something tonight/tomorrow??? unknw.gif

Posted

I think its looks intresting all this week with many chances of another snow spell :drinks: its snowing now so no reason why it cant this time tomorrow aswel as it seems to of stalled of bristol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

steady snow here in whitchurch although looking at radar there is nothing very heavy around for somerset bristol as it is further east. It might bode well for tuesday like you say though. drinks.gif

Posted

Update from N Swindon 0.5C moderate snow again now has eased off and come back a couple of times.

Been snowing since at least 07.30am maybe 2 - 3cm on grass not much on pavements and rooves etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

A few snow flakes drifting past my window again

Posted

I never would have thought this front would have been so far east this early! on one hand it means we have more widespread snow instead of rain but on the other its going to clear away to the east very soon without giving us any threat of a heavier pulse which is needed to get this to settle.

Wonder if Ian will be on later for a tuesday update?

Posted

Update from Bath...

Still snowing! drinks.gif

No idea of what the temperature is, but it ain't that mild!! rolleyes.gif

Not a lot settling/pitching/laying/sticking, but nice to see it blowing around in the wind!

Posted

Update from Bath...

Still snowing! drinks.gif

No idea of what the temperature is, but it ain't that mild!! rolleyes.gif

Not a lot settling/pitching/laying/sticking, but nice to see it blowing around in the wind!

Looking at radar the ppn stalled just south east of bristol (worst of it anyway) So wiltshire should get an interesting few hours and bath/somerset may get some moderate snow but bristol looks almost clear of the ppn now with it never really properly reaching us except for abit of light snow.

Look forward to see if this will afect the direction of the next low tomoro morning and if it will indeed be of snow again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well that wasn't to bad considering we were supposed to get rain today.

The snow settled on the grass for a while & cars. All stopped now though with the sun trying to make an appearance.

Posted

Heavy wet snow in Warminster for the last hour which, funnily, is only settling on the new doormat we brought a few days ago! It had been raining at dawn and sleeting/light wet snow until about 09.45 when heavier snow started.

1.8c at the moment.

Posted

Morning Folks

Well as I was up editing til 3 in the morning last night (because for some reason people cant keep their hands of a microphone when doing an interview!) i missed most the action this morning

Tomorrow looking like a fairly similar setup to be honest, though it could well be a case of snow through tuesday evening turning steadily to rain before dawn

Its difficult to tell though because none of the models have had a very good grip of the placement of this LP - and that includes the NAE which has been all over the shot

No wonder Met Office warnings have been a bit all over the place, theres very little confidence to place in any sort of forecast currenty

SK

Posted

Looking at radar the ppn stalled just south east of bristol (worst of it anyway) So wiltshire should get an interesting few hours and bath/somerset may get some moderate snow but bristol looks almost clear of the ppn now with it never really properly reaching us except for abit of light snow.

Look forward to see if this will afect the direction of the next low tomoro morning and if it will indeed be of snow again?

Indeed! Here's hoping! drinks.gif

Bit of a blizzard here now! yahoo.gif

Posted

All stopped here now...

Sky is getting brighter...

Nice little surprise though this morning!... drinks.gif

Will be interesting to see what tonight/tomorrow (and the rest of the week!) brings...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Well I consider myself the biggest snow fan on this site blum.gif lol, but I'm now wishing for spring to arrive, I'd probably feel differently if it was cold enough for any falling snow to settle but it's just not cold enough at sea level, we had heavy snow for a time this morning which was nice to see but when the ground is too warm for it to settle it might as well fall as rain.

This winter has been the best I can remember in along time, to have snow lying for 7 days back in january & then to have fresh snow fall on top of what was already lying, well it had been many years since that last happened here in weston!

Roll on spring I say, daytime temps in the mid teens with plenty of sun & coolish nights.....heaven biggrin.gif

Posted

Just been out to lunch and is it me or does it feel colder today since the rain/sleet/snow fell? Does this mean the rain forecast tomorrow may be snow? :)

Posted

Just been out to lunch and is it me or does it feel colder today since the rain/sleet/snow fell? Does this mean the rain forecast tomorrow may be snow? cc_confused.gif

I was thinking the same thing... The wind yesterday, though not mild, was not as cold as it is today...

Feels very chilly! cold.gif

Posted

I was thinking the same thing... The wind yesterday, though not mild, was not as cold as it is today...

Feels very chilly! cold.gif

Glad someone else thinks the same - thought I was coming down with a cold or something!! :)

Posted

Hope Ian doesn't mind me quoting his blog but looks like it may be a repeat for Glos tomorrow and then rain rain rain!!!

"Worth adding that tomorrow (Tuesday) could yield similar weather in many of the same areas. I'm expecting to see snow over Exmoor early on Tuesday - possibly quite heavy - with a broad swathe of rain again at lower levels but this turning progressively to snow from around the M4 corridor northwards. Tghe risk of heavy snow tomorrow for the Forest of Dean is greater than today; definitely a situation we'll need to monitor closely. For wat it's worth, the rest of the week promises further spells of distinctly inclement weather and the accumulation of rainfall could well cause localised (surface water) flooding problems for some areas."

Incredible quiet on here and the model output forum today, guess the weather isn't that exciting as the last few weeks have been?

Edited by monkeyuk

Posted

Glad someone else thinks the same - thought I was coming down with a cold or something!! drunk.gif

Well, apparently, the wind chill factor in these parts is around -8°c!!! cold.gif

That could explain it!!

Posted

I must say I was not expecting it to feel as cold as it is today! I can't access my station to see what it is at moment but i bet its close to the 0-1c mark. Computer probably crashed or sumin similar! rolleyes.gif

So question remains is there a chance that we could see some heavy snow tomorrow or will it be a cool rainy day?

I think if today is anything to go by we certainly could. Even this morning nothing but rain was forecast and most of us saw nothing but snow! drinks.gif Happy days.

Posted

I was so happy when my mum woke me up saying its snowing and i was so happy to see the sight of nice big flakes of snow falling and it was floating everywhere so wasnt sleet thank god but was wet snow but either way im very happy :)

Posted

Not sure why people are surprised at the windchill.

There's a LOW pulling away to the E/SE with E/NE winds on its' Northern flank, the air is damp/raw and the ground wet, there's little if any brightness - a perfect recipe for a cold windchill.