Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Another non event...lol....you do have to laugh...There was moderate snow down in Hunsbury, Northampton earlier where I was working, but the further nearer home I got, the less snow...Oh well, time for blow torch SW'lys, and some nice mild weather....On a side note, I've noticed the model output thread has been full of posts all winter like "wow!..mega cold.....coldest winter ever, snowmageddon"...etc....what a load of old cobblers!...Its been quite nippy, true, but apart from xmas not especially so where I live....and for snow?...I've seen better snow events in my chest freezer in the garage!....lol

Ah C-S, didnt realise you were from across the pond...They sure know how to have proper snow over there...I lived in a small town called Williamsburg, near State College PA for 3 years, had some serious mega blizzards over there, and was there when Central PA got hit by Hurricane Isobel & Ivan....Isobel was still a Cat 1 storm when it passed through PA, and Ivan caused the worst flooding there in recorded history, we had a river running through the centre of our house, no kidding!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

The novelty of the snow is really wearing off now. Snow is heavy here now but still rubbish flakes like much of the winter. The outlook remains cold too. sad.gif

I hear ya about the novelty wearing off. I would LOVE for it to snowstorm out and dump me with some proper snow, but this wet pathetic attempt at snow that isnt sticking is wearing thin. I would rather have winter go away now and usher in a warm spring with convective showers so we have storms to look forward to. I can put up with sleety wet crappy snow in the begininng of winter, as one is full of hopes and dreams, but now the utter reality is that the snow is never going to come and when it does its going to be this snainy wet 'orrible stuff and wont stick, and if it does, will stick for about 56 minutes before melting into a horrible sludge. so- yeah- I agree! good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mostly light snow the last hour, sprinkling on grass, but really just a flurry, sky looks too broken for snow to last

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

It settled here in the end, got a covering and then it stopped as it passed me by. Better than nothing though?

Posted

We need proper snow such as eastern states in America get. Not this rubbish!

I dont think theres any possible synoptic setup that would produce the same snowfall over here as they get there. Channel low after channel low that are perfectly positioned and just the right distance apart so they drag down cold air from the north as each one passes would be our only chance. Id give it a 1% chance of happening in the next 10 years. Think ud be better off moving out there to see that kinda snowfall

Posted

About 2cm of new snow here, better than nothing. Depth on grass gone from 6-7cm to 8-9cm. All today's snowfall settled, so main problem has been lack of sustained intensity.

Still got basically no hope of level snow surviving till any possible return to cold at weekend. Deeper drifts might though at least...

Posted

About 2cm of new snow here, better than nothing. Depth on grass gone from 6-7cm to 8-9cm. All today's snowfall settled, so main problem has been lack of sustained intensity.

Still got basically no hope of level snow surviving till any possible return to cold at weekend. Deeper drifts might though at least...

You need to go build a big snowman before the milder weather moves in, i dont think the milder interlude before the weekend will damage snow cover providing it doesnt rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yep! Born and bred in the good ol' U. S. of A. I was born in a blizzard up in Maine ('reet up nawth') and the snow drifts were over 5 ft high!!!! We measure our snow over there in feet! lol!! Not always though haha, but it usually snows about 4-6" per snowfall on average, and then we get the Washington snow storms about twice a year sometimes... before I came here I lived in Philadelphia and we were slammed with 30" of snow on March 6th. WOW! that was the coolest storm I ever had!!! Our thunderstorms are equally impressive!! and I had an F3 tornado hit the town I used to live in while I went to school!!!! Didnt hit my house though!! I miss American weather cray.gif .... Saying that, the summer of 2004 in the Isle of Wight, we had a MEGA super-cell that produced some AMAZING lightning and it even hit the papers with photos of the lightning on the front page with the channel ferries crossing!!! That was amazing. NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN NOTTS!!! laugh.gif

Wow thats awesome! So how long have you lived in and UK now? and why did you leave the U.S for the UK? Sorry for so many questions haha, I find it interesting though :lol: I never realised you was born and bred in the U.S I thought you was born in the UK and had relatives in America or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Another non event...lol....you do have to laugh...There was moderate snow down in Hunsbury, Northampton earlier where I was working, but the further nearer home I got, the less snow...Oh well, time for blow torch SW'lys, and some nice mild weather....On a side note, I've noticed the model output thread has been full of posts all winter like "wow!..mega cold.....coldest winter ever, snowmageddon"...etc....what a load of old cobblers!...Its been quite nippy, true, but apart from xmas not especially so where I live....and for snow?...I've seen better snow events in my chest freezer in the garage!....lol

Ah C-S, didnt realise you were from across the pond...They sure know how to have proper snow over there...I lived in a small town called Williamsburg, near State College PA for 3 years, had some serious mega blizzards over there, and was there when Central PA got hit by Hurricane Isobel & Ivan....Isobel was still a Cat 1 storm when it passed through PA, and Ivan caused the worst flooding there in recorded history, we had a river running through the centre of our house, no kidding!!

WOW!! Williamsburg PA!!! I know where that is!!! I lived in New Jersey all my life (bar being born in Maine) and then my college years in Philly. Yeah- we know how to have proper weather over there!! biggrin.gif I totally agree about this winter being nothing special. And think its laughable when the BBC and Meto issue severe weather warnings over 2-5cm of snow hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! god bless England... no really, I do understand that not many people have experience in driving in the snow, but you guys used to get a lot more snow years ago. I used to have to go to school with huge chains on my school bus tyres! hahaha!!! The temperatures in winter used to go down to 15F in dead of winter (not to mention windchill) and the summer was temps of 100 for a good 10-14 days out of every summer no joke!!! thats like 40C!!!! I love extreme weather. So I always have a private giggle in the summer too when people think its "HOT" out at like 23C hahahaha!!! 2006 was the best summer I have had over here so far for heat. I hope 2010 is like that!!

Dont get me started on hurricanes!!! Being from New Jersey, which is a coastal state, we used to get those too!!!!!! I loved it!! Ours were never as intense as they were down south though.

back here in Notts, its gone back to snaining out again... +sigh+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yep! Born and bred in the good ol' U. S. of A. I was born in a blizzard up in Maine ('reet up nawth') and the snow drifts were over 5 ft high!!!! We measure our snow over there in feet! lol!! Not always though haha, but it usually snows about 4-6" per snowfall on average, and then we get the Washington snow storms about twice a year sometimes... before I came here I lived in Philadelphia and we were slammed with 30" of snow on March 6th. WOW! that was the coolest storm I ever had!!! Our thunderstorms are equally impressive!! and I had an F3 tornado hit the town I used to live in while I went to school!!!! Didnt hit my house though!! I miss American weather cray.gif .... Saying that, the summer of 2004 in the Isle of Wight, we had a MEGA super-cell that produced some AMAZING lightning and it even hit the papers with photos of the lightning on the front page with the channel ferries crossing!!! That was amazing. NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN NOTTS!!! laugh.gif

Makes the British weather look like crap...

I hope I get onto the uni course I have applied for, involves studying in Oklahoma for a year - that would be AWESOME to a whole new level!

Posted

You need to go build a big snowman before the milder weather moves in, i dont think the milder interlude before the weekend will damage snow cover providing it doesnt rain.

I would love to have one like this in my garden.....provided someone else did it for me lol

See #6

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/61763-yorkshire-lincolnshire-and-the-pennines-cold-spell-discussion/

Posted

i can see some nice snow showers that seem to be pepping up a bit. may give us in mids 1 or 2 heavy showers after this main band has pushed through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmm I have football training at 7:30pm and it's outdoor astroturf that tends to get snow laying on it even when snow hasn't settled much on grass. If the snow does pick up and give a dusting before 7:30pm then it could be called off lol. Reports of snow getting heavier just South and West and Leicester at the moment so could be enough for a dusting on the astro turf :lol: I fancied training tonight aswell.

Posted

So its going cooler at the weekend again then? I saw the Beeb forecast for tomorrow and it was stating 10C for southern england etc after the snow/rain moved Northwards. Made me spit my toast out!

Posted

I saw plenty of days like today when I lived in Ohio...some parts of eastern USA get marginal stuff too.

I remember when we were warned about a mighty blizzard on the way. Sure enough, heavy snow swirled down but nothing settled because the ground was too warm and the event was too marginal.

Having said that, Ohio have had some incredible amounts of snow this winter.

I've never been a fan of wet snow days when it doesn't settle like today. My personal opinion is that its just like a miserable wet day. So am I dissappointed today? No, not really, it all happened as i expected. With the set up we have and the timing of it...i'm surprised we've got as much falling snow as we have.

I'm an all or nothing person. I either want a proper big freeze like early January or nothing at all. It might be because I live in Wordsley and snow finds it hard to settle here unless its really cold. I do accept that Atlantic systems will always be a part of our weather and that they will always be fickle to work out in these situations.

I also like a good strong northerly, that usually brings lying snow in Wordsley too.

I have a split personality right now...half of me is looking for a decent snow event and the other half is looking for the first 15C+. I don't really fancy anymore 5C and cloudy days or marginal rain/snow mixes.

Posted

Still lightly falling. About a cm on cars, but that's all! :lol:

For probably the last time this winter, S.F.3

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

Wow thats awesome! So how long have you lived in and UK now? and why did you leave the U.S for the UK? Sorry for so many questions haha, I find it interesting though biggrin.gif I never realised you was born and bred in the U.S I thought you was born in the UK and had relatives in America or something.

I have lived her now since 1997, and moved over when I met a guy on a random 4 day holiday! hahahahaha!!! Luckily it worked out and we were together for 6 years! (although divorced now- yet still friends) So Rochdale was my 1st UK home hahaha. They had LOADS of snow this year!!!!!! I lived in Lancashire for aaagggeeesss, and then moved to Notts when I met the guy I am with now.

I think its turned to rain now!! cant really tell lamp post duty-wise... ugh- snow machine only worked for an hour or so! hahahaha!!!!

Posted

Still lightly falling. About a cm on cars, but that's all! :lol:

For probably the last time this winter, S.F.3

I think if things dont look good by the time we reach march you will be right, but i dont think anything past fridays assured of yet. Wont take much to get the cold air which is only going to be pushed upto scotland head back south.

Posted

Hearing the talk about moving to where there's more snow, thought i'd point out that i may be moving to Leicester later this year which is rather the opposite as i will no longer have reason to be smug when snow is only forecast for higher ground lol. Maybe i will have to re-register with a different name.... sad.gif

Edited by Higher Ground