Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted

Was chucking it down but now the sun is out - which is a good thing I hope!

Yep, sun out here also, I think we're too far east and south for the "thorms" as Mr Wilson used to call them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some heavy showers heading for Tyne and Wear at the moment- during my years of living there I always found this returning polar maritime/SSW'ly type to be good for bringing active bands of heavy showers across the region, sometimes with hail and thunder. Cumulonimbus clouds would typically amass in a line from SSW-NNE to the west of Cleadon and slowly edge east, eventually unleashing a big deluge over Cleadon. It's a bit early in the season for it to fire off storms in Tyneside, but it did happen around the 2nd April 2004, so who knows (another Francis Wilson catchphrase lol) they might manage an odd rumble.

Looks like here in Norwich we will stay in the clear today, it's become quite cloudy this afternoon with a cap on convection causing the cumulus to spread out into stratocumulus with only limited gaps in between. However chances are much higher for this area tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Disappointingly quiet on here :lol:

Seems to be little happening on radar, nothing more than a few clumps of light to moderate rain across the SW with a scattering of moderate showers up the spine of the country.

I am presuming therefore that the cold air aloft hasn't really dug in as yet. Nick F's storm forecast mentioned activity dying off after midnight, so I am presuming any showers/storms might not necessarily be relying on strong sunshine....

Either way - lack of action atm is quite disappointing :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very heavy shower about an hour ago, but no thunder. I don't feel thunder is possible here today as its simply too cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very disappointing afternoon. Just 2 moderate showers. No storm activity at all around the SW quarter of the UK. Oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Disappointingly quiet on here cray.gif

Seems to be little happening on radar, nothing more than a few clumps of light to moderate rain across the SW with a scattering of moderate showers up the spine of the country.

I am presuming therefore that the cold air aloft hasn't really dug in as yet. Nick F's storm forecast mentioned activity dying off after midnight, so I am presuming any showers/storms might not necessarily be relying on strong sunshine....

Either way - lack of action atm is quite disappointing cray.gif

I know what you mean. Since the heavy shower ealier, been running into all the gaps on the radar with some showers just missing here a few miles to the North and South.

I suppose still, I have had one heavy shower (with the odd very light one, too), which is something. (Probably wouldn't be impossible still for some of the showers and biggest areas of precipitation to the South-West to deliver something).

Posted

Hmm...very more substantial showers starting to rattle in towards the SW/Southern counties.

One area which has caught my eye is the showers starting to line up along the S Coast in a NW to SE line.

This might be something which could organise further perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still almost 100% cloud cover here stopping any ability to see what's going on. The showers also seem to lose intensity before getting here and keep going nicely over Wales. A very frustrating day so far, especially if they are supposed to die out overnight.

Posted

Okay more detailed into what happened yesterday.

At about 11:30am i left college early to go home because i was sposed to be going to the doctors about my throat. Anyway when i came out of class and looked outside there some pretty dark looking clouds and really dark to the south with big rain shafts, It had just started raining and gradually started getting heavyier and by the time i got to the town centre and bus station to get bus it aboslute hammered down for about 30 min but didnt thunder. By the time i got home it started brightening up though on the radar there some nasty showers building to the south and some lightning being picked up. at about 3:35 i looked at radar again and the rain was neally on us but looked very potent, i went upstairs to look at the sky within 10 seconds of opening the window heard the first rumble of thunder but was kinda distant though was crackly, I shouted to my mum and my mate its THUNDERING LOL!!! My mate who lives next door to me also loves storms and as does his mum and his step dad. Anyway me and my mate went down to the sea front to get a better view as we couldnt see the sky properly, when we got down there then we was like oh thats why it thundered was pure black coming over and we was having a discussion of where to go to watch it and then all of a sudden big CG hit to the right of us which was closish with loudish the thunder. My mate phoned his mum to tell that the storm was getting close and thunder and lightning was getting more frequent and then heavens opened, so his mum drove up to culver so we can see all around and the lightning strikes were very big and striking about 4 a minute. when we got up there an enormous CG hit about just 50 yards infront of us with a huge explosion of thunder.

The Thunderstorm went on for another 10 or 15 minutes and then the winds started getting very stong and went all misty with more very close lightning and thunder. For March this was amazing and dont think ive ever seen a storm like that before in march, anyway it eventtually passed on and we went home feeling happy and we could still hear the distant thunder and see lightning over the mainland, it was fun and hoping more in summer and longer lasting.

Posted

Great account Lightning Boy, thank you.

Some pretty heavy showers moving over Wiltshire/Dorset/Somerset at the moment but nothing thundery.

Posted

Thats okay i love doing long posts when its Thunderstorms

anyway its raining now but i cant see there being any the thunder tonight or this evening.

Posted

Ok

Quick update on yesterdays possible Tornado

Brother In Law Has seen the footage and from his description this does sound like a Tornado.

1 Tonne Container stacked on top of another is seen in the CCTV clip to get thrown spinning through the air before landing about 50ft across the yard. He can also just about see the vortex, going to get the business to convert the tape to Youtube next week and get a clip up for you guys to decide

Paul S

Posted

Did you report it to TORRO also Paul?

Hi

Dont bother anymore, I reported the EF2 @ Benfleet on Saturday 14th November and did a Site Investigation but did not even receive an E-Mail return or any correspondence with regard to this Tornado at the time so I wont bother with this or any other I see or hear of in the Uk. It's funny but even the Tornado I reported at Clairmont (Tx) got listed on the SPC Page at the time.

If anyone wants to report this then they are more than welcome

Paul S

Posted

Hi Weather09

Only on what some of the guys on Ukww have said, looking at the damage they were quite sure that High end T3 Or Low end T4 Damage had occured and they guestimated the winds to be between 90-130mph hence the EF2.

But no there is no concrete evidence that it was EF2, the thing that peeved me most was I took 3 hours out of my Sunday morning to do a Site investigation and then sent a Report plus Pictures to the TORRO Site without any reply or any evidence on the TORRO Site even up to today (It's as if it never happened)

I have seen over 80 Supercells in my life and this was definately a Low Topped Supercell, I chased this storm and it had everything in the right place so to speak with a detached hail/Rain core to the North East and seperate Updraft/Downdraft area with the Tornado on the South/South-West side of the Storm. This same storm dropped an EF0 Tornado 2 hours later in Lowestoft, incredible what you can get with a 57/50f Temp and Dewpoint spread in November in this country.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Very threatening skies just come above. Rising/falling scud, weak but nevertheless clear rotation in places.

Looks as if it could be/turn electric, though nothing of that nature yet.

Just started to rain heavily...

Its moving ESE by the looks of it.

EDIT - Well, that was deceptive! Rain turns out not to be that impressive at all - though there were/are rain bands present.

Nice striking thunderstorm like formations though - been a while since I've seen that ;)

Edited by Harry

Posted

Tasty looking cell move eastwards across Surrey into W/NW Kent currently, not electric yet but looks nice on radar. I can see some pretty high cloud tops to my north lit up by the setting sun.

Posted

Ah I see lightning came from that cell over NW Kent across the Medway/Dartford/Grain area

Would confirm the high cloud tops I spotted earlier

I can see some pretty high cloud tops to my north lit up by the setting sun.

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

Some interesting weather coming into the Channel from France - some clumps of rain running towards the SE at the moment, but some rather more convective looking weather to the West of that, with some quite heavy returns being recorded.

Nothing of note happening chart wise over here, but some impressive CAPE/LI levels in line with an Estofex Level 1 over France which maybe that convective looking weather is tapping in to.

Posted

Lightning over SE Kent now, around Romney Marsh

Edit: latest update shows lightning moving further inland, directly to my south :)

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

BOOOOOOOOOOOM! , Nice :D:drinks: