Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted

Mean speed of the wind is now rising on the coast here. F6 gusting F7. Sky going very dark again so hoping for some more thunder.

Although on the rainfall radar this batch not looking anywhere near as potent as the last band that came through.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

latest radar to me is showing the lightning real intensifying and heading for the South East Coast ...get your Photo's :D in for tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

as usual Harry eh, the Kesurex effect in full force :D

Ain't it just!!

Mind you the sky is very threatening looking and its just started to rain, quite heavily.

The clouds though I haven't seen for some time - racing at a heck of a speed NNW, with some of the clouds below moving straight up at heck of a speed also. Very convective indeed and still quite muggy!

Never know - might be lucky enough to squeeze something!!

EDIT - Partner just text me from work. Thunder and lightning in Sevenoaks!! HOW UNFAIR IS THAT!!!!

Brightening up to the South here, with it still being very dark towards Kent (aka Home!)....so disappointed it beggers belief.

Edited by Harry

Posted

Ain't it just!!

Mind you the sky is very threatening looking and its just started to rain, quite heavily.

The clouds though I haven't seen for some time - racing at a heck of a speed NNW, with some of the clouds below moving straight up at heck of a speed also. Very convective indeed and still quite muggy!

Never know - might be lucky enough to squeeze something!!

EDIT - Partner just text me from work. Thunder and lightning in Sevenoaks!! HOW UNFAIR IS THAT!!!!

I'm the other side of that cell over W Kent - Moderate rain here with gusty winds. But sadly nothing else.

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Been thunder and lightning here too in Tun Wells - convective line just passed through fairly swiftly and now brightening up from the SW, several lightning flashes as I walked home with a few cgs, got soaked through even with large umbrella, no hail though. Not a bad storm given the direction of travel for early Spring!

Posted

Rainy and getting oh so dark here.

EDIT: And now the sudden onset of torrential rain, the cloud is really ripping up from the South with a lot of scud.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

just had a phone call from my partner she thinks a tornado has just gone through Thame Oxfordshire removing some roofing on an indusrial estate lots of debri in roads lots of thunder & lightning shall go on a reccy in an hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tomorrow sees heavy showers develop with the risk of some non severe storms embedded for SW England, Wales and The Midlands and perhaps into N England.

Posted

just had a phone call from my partner she thinks a tornado has just gone through Thame Oxfordshire removing some roofing on an indusrial estate lots of debri in roads lots of thunder & lightning shall go on a reccy in an hour

17.35? Sounds about right:

post-6667-12695400193655_thumb.jpg

Not sure about a tornado, could just by high speed, squally winds? Go check it out!!! :lol:

Posted

Brightening to the South but very dark to the E and West, we've gone through a gap. :lol:

Lots of scud around.

The cloud mass above my head just literally seemed to evapourate into hazy skies. :)

T'is funny how quickly it can go from muggy dull weather to blustery bright weather, still very dark to the East though.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear it was a tornado as when the squall line went through here I was a bit nervous at the gustiness of it, and it seemed to develop more on the radar as it was moving north east.

Posted

Just seen some lightning - possibly over the Thurrock area of Essex? Its in the direction of the Dartford Bridge I think...

Posted

Very interesting ... certainly LLS shear suggested to increase near that front/convective line moving NE late afternoon on 12z GFS, winds certainly backed to the SE ahead of front and turning more S'erly behind, winds turning above to SW'erly - all enhancing shear/helicity in the boundary layer and potential for any strong updrafts to rotate. Was notable here when line came through quite a low cloud base.

However, looking at radar images, the linear returns suggest more likely straight line wind damage from a sudden squally gust. But wouldn't rule out a tornado.

Posted

Just seen some lightning - possibly over the Thurrock area of Essex? Its in the direction of the Dartford Bridge I think...

Saw a flash in that direction too.

Can see the back edge of the anvil hanging over NW Kent, blue skies approaching here now. It all moved through rather quick.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

That was a very interesting squall line, with 3 bright flashes and booming thunder! Nice to hear this so early in spring, as the last few

years have been very poor for electrical activity in this area.

Posted

Just had a massive change of direction from easterly to northerly and an intense rain storm that lasted only 10 mins all the way up in Yorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heavy rain just passing through as part of the line of heavy rain stretching from here to SE England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Heavy rain just passing through as part of the line of heavy rain stretching from here to SE England.

yep, torrential rain and gusty winds from that same squall line here now..Unfortunately, the electrical activity has died away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Missed out on any storms today but tomorrow might be more productive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Missed out on any storms today but tomorrow might be more productive.

Yes, both the national and regional BBC forecasts show some nice bright echoes for this area tomorrow. Certainly had a thundery feel out there this afternoon (sounds ridiculous when the temperature was only 11C lol) and the raindrops that did produce the 5mm of rain today were big and thunderstorm-like. All good signs. I'm sure any sun tomorrow will help convection at this time of year.

Posted

Any electrical activity going to carry on throught the night as im seeing cloud flashes looking to my south at the moment

Posted

Might also have news of a Tornado in South Ockenden (Essex) at approx 6pm to 630pm this evening. Brother in Law phoned me to say he witnessed a Thunderstorm with Hail that has created some damage in the General RM15 Area more specifically (Arrowdale Road)

The damage includes some 20ft Empty Containers that have been moved 50ft across a yard and Eye witness reports of a Funnel Cloud.

If anyone has the radar grab from approx 630pm this would be great.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

I was recording some footage towards Thame around 5.20pm today, certainly was very squally with vicious hail , winds shook the car a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaB-Uyo_4dQ