Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted

So what us teenagers who work ours socks off doing exams this time of year arent intitled to a fun trip! My school has taken me to America twice in 2 years and to Oakwood themepark, Cadburys World Birmingham, Thorpe Park, places in London and only 2 weeks ago I could of gone to Disney Land in Paris. When we work so hard its nice to have a school that make learning fun and take us places. Next year in sixth form im going to New York with economics for a week and I cant wait! And guess what my schools sixth form pass rate is 100% and the 5 GCSE A-C passrate is 90%, the best public school in Cardiff. By the way im not ranting at you I just quoted you because you quoted that guy lol.

Anyway clouding over here now chance of sleet/snow at first but turning to rain I expect.

Remember Wales that anything other than an A* or an A at GCSE is the equivalent to a fail at 'O' Level and that according to a study from Durham University there has been grade inflation of 1 grade per decade in 'A'Levels over the last two decades. This renders your 100% and 90% success rates meaningless. The government has sold you and your parents a lie in terms of what constitutes 'good' exam results.

Don't even think about going to university unless you get on to a good course at a 'Russell Group' university and are confident of a 2.1 or above. If your degree doesn't match up to these standards, in terms of a proper graduate job, you have no hope. You may just end up with a huge debt and the same job as you would have had if you had left school at sixteen. It seems to me, that if you want to make sure that you get a good degree go on fewer holidays/trips and work much harder.

Anyway, it is a beautiful sunny day here in the south-east.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Remember Wales that anything other than an A* or an A at GCSE is the equivalent to a fail at 'O' Level and that according to a study from Durham University there has been grade inflation of 1 grade per decade in 'A'Levels over the last two decades. This renders your 100% and 90% success rates meaningless. The government has sold you and your parents a lie in terms of what constitutes 'good' exam results.

Don't even think about going to university unless you get on to a good course at a 'Russell Group' university and are confident of a 2.1 or above. If your degree doesn't match up to these standards, in terms of a proper graduate job, you have no hope. You may just end up with a huge debt and the same job as you would have had if you had left school at sixteen. It seems to me, that if you want to make sure that you get a good degree go on fewer holidays/trips and work much harder.

so really in england it is really hard to get a good education... less opportunity there! maybe thats why so many english people are moving here?? because i cant see anything else other than that as this place is rubbish! (does that system correct your wording lol?

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

What planet are you on? Im predicted the same grades as my sister got in her GCSEs and shes in Univerisity now in her second year to become a teacher. Yes Univerisity places are very tough but they dont look at GCSEs very much for starters unless its like Oxford Uni. Its A levels that they look at the most. Durhamm Uni lol never even heard of the place, what a load of rubbish.

I just want to say what a bunch of morons you have as teachers in scotland, who in their right kind would still go ahead with a school trip to alton towers when the roads were very bad indeed and even if they got to alton towers with it being so high up it would of been very scary on those high rides with blustery winds and snow showers.

I wish the parents of the girl who died take the school to court, this disaster could easily of been averted with just a bit of common sense.

While I agree with you about the application of common sense I find the "what a bunch of morons you have as teachers in Scotland" comment a little OTT and unjustified. There are really good teachers in this country, there are average ones and moronic/useless ones. Just as there are in England, Wales, NI and everywhere else in the world.

Just to use me wee one's primary school as an example: the school was only closed once over the whole of the winter we've just had despite snow on many occasions and a playground covered in ice for weeks at a time. The school were very sensible and careful to manage the difficult conditions around the school and the many trips away from the school. There were some trips cancelled due to heavy snow falling on the day. The one day the school was closed was because there weren't enough teachers in the building to safely manage all the children. The headteacher had made the decision that the children's safety couldn't be ensured in the event of a fire (for example) at the school. Imagine three or four teachers trying to evacuate 200 children from a fire in a hurry. Throughout winter the school have been very good at balancing risk with the need to continue as normal.

So how does that then justify you stereotyping all teachers in Scotland as morons??

I completely agree that someone going on that school trip should have said, "Wait a second, what about..." but that is no excuse to make sweeping statements about all teachers in Scotland.

Posted

What planet are you on? Im predicted the same grades as my sister got in her GCSEs and shes in Univerisity now in her second year to become a teacher. Yes Univerisity places are very tough but they dont look at GCSEs very much for starters unless its like Oxford Uni. Its A levels that they look at the most. Durhamm Uni lol never even heard of the place, what a load of rubbish.

this may help you out lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University

Posted

While I agree with you about the application of common sense I find the "what a bunch of morons you have as teachers in Scotland" comment a little OTT and unjustified. There are really good teachers in this country, there are average ones and moronic/useless ones. Just as there are in England, Wales, NI and everywhere else in the world.

Just to use me wee one's primary school as an example: the school was only closed once over the whole of the winter we've just had despite snow on many occasions and a playground covered in ice for weeks at a time. The school were very sensible and careful to manage the difficult conditions around the school and the many trips away from the school. There were some trips cancelled due to heavy snow falling on the day. The one day the school was closed was because there weren't enough teachers in the building to safely manage all the children. The headteacher had made the decision that the children's safety couldn't be ensured in the event of a fire (for example) at the school. Imagine three or four teachers trying to evacuate 200 children from a fire in a hurry. Throughout winter the school have been very good at balancing risk with the need to continue as normal.

So how does that then justify you stereotyping all teachers in Scotland as morons??

I completely agree that someone going on that school trip should have said, "Wait a second, what about..." but that is no excuse to make sweeping statements about all teachers in Scotland.

Is it just me or do they ever shut schools in scotland or here?? they have never shut the schools here.. and we even had over a foot one time in the town and they still never shut it!

Posted

I know how you feel I live in a very wintery location because of my height ASL, and theres a teacher which lives just a little up the road and sometimes they have to close schools because theres no way teachers and pupils should risk traveling to school in 14inches of snow like earlier this year. However I do think sometimes especially down here in the south they close it for the sake of 2cm of snow which is hardly dangerous. I personaly dont think that trip should of gone ahead yesterday, it was too dangerous.

It is spelt Durham...and it is one of the best in the UK:

http://www.timesonli...icle2126191.ece

Fair enough but your comment about anything below an A is a fail is utter rubbish. Anyway got to go laters.

Fair enough but your comment about anything below an A is a fail is utter rubbish. Anyway got to go laters.

My comment? That wasn't me :)

Edit: I couldn't comment on the English education system that much anyway as we have a different system up here

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Heavy wet snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Heavy wet snow here.

Interesting to read that...This little weather feature into Wales seems to be considerably further south than forecast...Combine this with relativley low DP's through the Midlands (-1 to 0C) and fairly cold uppers (-6 to -4C) I wonder whether parts of the Midlands and central/eastern Wales might get a surprise snowfall out of this..... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

then again, its arrival coincides with the warmest part of the day...Probably a cold rain, with mountain/hill snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Had some blustery rain and sleet at 2am this morning at Cleadon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Interesting to read that...This little weather feature into Wales seems to be considerably further south than forecast...Combine this with relativley low DP's through the Midlands (-1 to 0C) and fairly cold uppers (-6 to -4C) I wonder whether parts of the Midlands and central/eastern Wales might get a surprise snowfall out of this..... :)

Temps are widely above 5c, so it wouldn't stay very long even if it did. I know evaporative cooling will come into play, but the ground temperatures may well be too warm.

Isnt that band of precip supposed to be about 100 miles further north?

Posted

Temps are widely above 5c, so it wouldn't stay very long even if it did. I know evaporative cooling will come into play, but the ground temperatures may well be too warm.

Isnt that band of precip supposed to be about 100 miles further north?

See my post below the one you quoted....pretty much what I said...and yes, as per my original post, it is considerably further south than forecast

Posted

A mixture of rain, pieces of hail and the odd snowflake coming down here in Telford at the moment, the band of showers is somewhat further south than forecast.

Posted

See my post below the one you quoted....pretty much what I said...and yes, as per my original post, it is considerably further south than forecast

Looking at the radars, it is starting to slide north west, I hope it does hit here, it will be hail and snow if it does, dew point is at 0c.

Posted

Re that showery precip moving through Wales towards the Midlands, it's actually approx 100 miles further NORTH than forecast on the national and local BBC yesterday!

Posted

Hitting us right now mate - very large hail and thunder and the odd flash of lightning! - mountains are turning white

Posted

Hitting us right now mate - very large hail and thunder and the odd flash of lightning! - mountains are turning white

Im a mile or so south of you and theres nothing! dry and bright lol

Posted

Im a mile or so south of you and theres nothing! dry and bright lol

If you look at the meto radar - it seems to be just skimming across the top of south wales - Merthyr seems to be getting the worst of it!

BUTTTTTTTTT - there's another big block of showers heading our way again from the west!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

If you look at the meto radar - it seems to be just skimming across the top of south wales - Merthyr seems to be getting the worst of it!

BUTTTTTTTTT - there's another big block of showers heading our way again from the west!

Spoke too soon, having a little bit of hail now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/travel/trafficcams/camera2415.shtml Dowlais, if snows going to fall from this system it will be there.

Posted

Spoke too soon, having a little bit of hail now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...amera2415.shtml Dowlais, if snows going to fall from this system it will be there.

Spoke too soon - it's all gonna miss us in the main part of south wales - merthyr is gonna get it all and the Beacons

Posted

Spoke too soon - it's all gonna miss us in the main part of south wales - merthyr is gonna get it all and the Beacons

Heavy hail storm now turned to snow in seven sisters.

Posted

Having showers of rain, wet snow and large hail here. 7.4c.

Edit: 7.2c now!

7.1c now!!

Edited by Backtrack