Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

There's a risk of catching the odd wintry shower later on tonight and/or tommorrow morning for your areas, before some showery rain moves into Western areas, which I'm affraid doesn't look like arriving until later on in the morning.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ check this out though theres a band of showers moving in towards my area very quickly? a streamer infact.

so what is going on?:S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, I'm impressed......just got my measuring stick out, and have recorded 1.7cm of snow in a tad over 30 minutes..... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Beefy showers approaching me now. Hopefully i may have some snow when I wake up in the morning. Night all.

Posted

Moderate snow shower here in Telford at the moment, large flakes to, the 50p sized ones.

Posted

heavy snow shower here now. Dieing out though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Looking at your latest post and checking the Rain Today (thanks for the link) and NetWeather radar, I would say I underestimated the shower risk for your and other South Western areas in Wales.

With some showers still coming in from the West with some bubbling up, I would say you have a better chance at catching wintry showers than I last posted (although probably still a risk of one or two dying out beforehand), with hopefully more developing in the morning.smile.gif

I just want to say what a bunch of morons you have as teachers in scotland, who in their right kind would still go ahead with a school trip to alton towers when the roads were very bad indeed and even if they got to alton towers with it being so high up it would of been very scary on those high rides with blustery winds and snow showers.

I wish the parents of the girl who died take the school to court, this disaster could easily of been averted with just a bit of common sense.

Posted

I just want to say what a bunch of morons you have as teachers in scotland, who in their right kind would still go ahead with a school trip to alton towers when the roads were very bad indeed and even if they got to alton towers with it being so high up it would of been very scary on those high rides with blustery winds and snow showers.

I wish the parents of the girl who died take the school to court, this disaster could easily of been averted with just a bit of common sense.

What s illy comment and blame shifted on teachers for no reason.

More than likely the children had paid for the trip and didn't want to loose their money, also the roads were fairy clear from what I've seen. It was just a tragic accident that couldn't be helped. People are always trying to find blame and fault, parents didn't ave to send their children either if they were that against it because of the weather,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A covering of snow here from the overnight showers.

Same here, looking out of the window I'd say between 2 and 3cm.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Same here, looking out of the window I'd say between 2 and 3cm.

Morning TM,

yes even down here in the Trent Valley, we have around 1cm of wet snow, 70% cover. But I doubt it will survive another 2 hours to qualify as a day of snow lying. Currently, sunny with the temperature at 2.7c, and rising steadily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

One light snow shower at about 00:20 but it was a pathetic dieing out shower-just like every other shower that reaches here.

Posted

Agreed. To add insult to (mortal) injury they were on their way to Alton Towers hardly educational.

Actually, you can learn about physics and mechanics (Maths). Infact when I was at college we went Alton Towers not only to enjoy ourselves but also to learn the physics behind the rides.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Actually, you can learn about physics and mechanics (Maths). Infact when I was at college we went Alton Towers not only to enjoy ourselves but also to learn the physics behind the rides.

So what us teenagers who work ours socks off doing exams this time of year arent intitled to a fun trip! My school has taken me to America twice in 2 years and to Oakwood themepark, Cadburys World Birmingham, Thorpe Park, places in London and only 2 weeks ago I could of gone to Disney Land in Paris. When we work so hard its nice to have a school that make learning fun and take us places. Next year in sixth form im going to New York with economics for a week and I cant wait! And guess what my schools sixth form pass rate is 100% and the 5 GCSE A-C passrate is 90%, the best public school in Cardiff. By the way im not ranting at you I just quoted you because you quoted that guy lol.

Anyway clouding over here now chance of sleet/snow at first but turning to rain I expect.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

2 cm of lying snow on the Keele campus from yesterday evening/overnight 8pm, 1 30am (apparently) etc.. Melting rapidly in the sun.

Ian

Keele University : Weather Data

Lat. 52° 59' 55 N Long. 2° 16' 05 W :

OS Grid Ref : SJ 820447; Alt. 179m (587ft) O.D.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

err tbh with you the education system in northern ireland and scotland is far better than down in england!! you have to pay to get into a good school!! im in a very good grammar school here and we are a 100 and something at achieving best gcse results in the uk... and everyone is mad at that stupid polition for trying to make our education like england because then we will be put into school with the council estate ones who walk about like chavs etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A bright start today with the lightest of dustings of snow on the Mendips and some clear views of snow on the Welsh hills from the top of Clevedon. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Morning TM,

yes even down here in the Trent Valley, we have around 1cm of wet snow, 70% cover. But I doubt it will survive another 2 hours to qualify as a day of snow lying. Currently, sunny with the temperature at 2.7c, and rising steadily.

Morning Paul. I wondered if you might get some snow down there after looking at the radar late last night, the heaviest showers seemed to be heading in your general direction and a bit further south towards Stafford.

Just got back from taking the readings and the mean snow depth is 4cm and about 98% cover so, despite the sunshine, it definitely will last another 20 minutes here.

Posted

err tbh with you the education system in northern ireland and scotland is far better than down in england!! you have to pay to get into a good school!! im in a very good grammar school here and we are a 100 and something at achieving best gcse results in the uk... and everyone is mad at that stupid polition for trying to make our education like england because then we will be put into school with the council estate ones who walk about like chavs etc...

Lol. My parents got me to dodge the "chavs" here by putting me in a Church School, my parents are Christians though so its not so bad. Problem is I have to travel 8miles to get to school bit of a nuisance when theres a school 2miles away. Problem with that system you have it's not fair on less disadvantaged children, I had problems when I was younger and I lost my speech ect and I only achieved 3s in my Year 6 sats and I wanted to do well so being in a good school with good supportive teachers and friends really helped me and now in high school im predicted 6 As now in August and 5 Bs and my lowest prediction is a B. If we had your system I wouldn't of been able to get into a grammar school for year 7 no chance.

Posted

Lol. My parents got me to dodge the "chavs" here by putting me in a Church School, my parents are Christians though so its not so bad. Problem is I have to travel 8miles to get to school bit of a nuisance when theres a school 2miles away. Problem with that system you have it's not fair on less disadvantaged children, I had problems when I was younger and I lost my speech ect and I only achieved 3s in my Year 6 sats and I wanted to do well so being in a good school with good supportive teachers and friends really helped me and now in high school im predicted 6 As now in August and 5 Bs and my lowest prediction is a B. If we had your system I wouldn't of been able to get into a grammar school for year 7 no chance.

yea i agree.. the system for high schools is poor but they still achieve good gces but some can be awfull... lol its annoying being in a high level school though because you have to get like 90% to get an a and everytime i rise they rise so i always end up getting loads of b's thank god its not like that in gcses!!! Though its easier to get better education here you have to pay to get into good school in england.. a girl in my class went to one and she said one accross road was £14000 per year! she was bragging shes really annoying though apparently shes been in a rolls royce!! oh god.. How is that £14000 thing true? Most good schools except c's...

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

yea i agree.. the system for high schools is poor but they still achieve good gces but some can be awfull... lol its annoying being in a high level school though because you have to get like 90% to get an a and everytime i rise they rise so i always end up getting loads of b's thank god its not like that in gcses!!! Though its easier to get better education here you have to pay to get into good school in england.. a girl in my class went to one and she said one accross road was £14000 per year! she was bragging shes really annoying though apparently shes been in a rolls royce!! oh god.. How is that £14000 thing true? Most good schools except c's...

Yeah its true, theres 3 private schools in Cardiff and they charge that much.

Currently snowing here at 200meters ASL, system just arriving expecting it to change to rain. Temperture 2.1c

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

Yeah its true, theres 3 private schools in Cardiff and they charge that much.

Currently snowing here at 200meters ASL, system just arriving expecting it to change to rain. Temperture 2.1c

who would pay that... thats a discrace!! £100000 for the whole thing... they need to get a grip! The english girl told us that our school was the same as that one and that it may even be better... the high schools let the children wear hoodies and all.. in our school its all top buttons put on and all this lol. still 1c here and still loads of snow on hill ... hopefully these showers can come in and keep temps down i want snow to stay!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

who would pay that... thats a discrace!! £100000 for the whole thing... they need to get a grip! The english girl told us that our school was the same as that one and that it may even be better... the high schools let the children wear hoodies and all.. in our school its all top buttons put on and all this lol. still 1c here and still loads of snow on hill ... hopefully these showers can come in and keep temps down i want snow to stay!

Your lucky to have snow lol, Ive only got a little covering and most of Wales have nothing, snowing here now though and temperture has droped back down to 1.6c in 5mins from 2.1c.

Posted

Your lucky to have snow lol, Ive only got a little covering and most of Wales have nothing, snowing here now though and temperture has droped back down to 1.6c in 5mins from 2.1c.

oh god as i siad ive got nothing but about 40 metres up has about 6 inches then 50 up has about 1 foot and at top has 3 foot so at top has tons!

Edited by frostyjoe

3 day in a row of more than 50% snow cover at 9am. Pretty impressive that the thin cover from yesterday morning survived all day yesterday into today. We're forecast for showers later (I think) and with a temp of 5C and a dew point of 0C I wouldn't be surprised to see a few flakes of snow within the showers.