Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Highest 5-minute total  	*32 mm  	10 August 1893  	Preston (Lancashire)

Going by this i suppose it is possible, but only during an intense downpour.

Looking further

Most in one minute: 38 millimetres (1.5 in); Barst, Guadeloupe, 1970-11-26.

Imagine if that fell as snow, 38cm of snow in 1 minute :whistling:

my mum was driving over the coleraine mountain were there is currently 2 foot and deeper drifts... said that the snow was wissing past here head and she took a pic and it was soo fast you couldnt see it... thats likely how! it was heavy aswell.. up top that mountain about 3 foot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not too long ago at about 6pm there was a gusty shower here which was mainly hail but had 5 minutes of pretty decent snow (NOT SLEET) falling before reverting to very fine hail then moving off to the southeast. A nice way to see a rather uneventful March out. Nice to have lost all the stratocumulus cloud that has hung around for much of the day too. :whistling:

Posted

Highest 5-minute total  	*32 mm  	10 August 1893  	Preston (Lancashire)

Going by this i suppose it is possible, but only during an intense downpour.

Looking further

Most in one minute: 38 millimetres (1.5 in); Barst, Guadeloupe, 1970-11-26.

Imagine if that fell as snow, 38cm of snow in 1 minute laugh.gif

Not theorectically possible, as such massive rainfall/precipitation rates are only possible through extensive warm-rain coalescense process within extensive depths of above freezing cloud material in deep convective tropical storms, where the freezing point may be as high as 5,000 meters.

Even in cases of thundersnow rarely does the precipitation rate ever reach much more than 25mm per hour (if that were rain).

Edited by RichardR

Posted

It's snowing here right now in the north end of Cardiff and has been throught the day and it's settling and it snowed on lower ground in Cardiff earlier so? Explain please

Slightly less cold air will be trying to make inroads over southern areas including Wales tomorrow, bringing a moist flow, snow will be easily possible over Higher ground but I have doubts about anything wintry to lower levels tomorrow in Wales.

Not theorectically possible, as such massive rainfall/precipitation rates are only possible through extensive warm-rain coalescense process within extensive depths of above freezing cloud material in deep convective tropical storms, where the freezing point may be as high as 5,000 meters.

Even in cases of thundersnow rarely does the precipitation rate ever reach much more than 25mm per hour (if that were rain).

well-duh.jpg

Posted

The Uppers are too warm for snow unfortunately, possibly tomorrow over Snowdonia some snow showers, but for low ground in Wales and England, the showers will be of rain.

Wrong, it snowed here for 30 mins i'm low ground.

Posted

Wrong, it snowed here for 30 mins i'm low ground.

he said TOMORROW!

Posted

It has snowed here in Wales all day mostly snow also at dinner time when its warmest as well so that statement about uppers being to warm is nonsense.

Posted

I said tomorrow.... and Im not doubting snow on higher ground

Also Sam's post was regarding SW Wales, which seems the most place most unlikely to see any snow tomorrow in Wales

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

No need for caps mate, it didn't sound like he meant tomorrow.

and stop saying mate! lol.. im sick of hearing that word.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

I said tomorrow.... and Im not doubting snow on higher ground

Cardiff is 40meters ASL and theres been snow, and here at 200meters ASL which yes fair enough is high ground we have settled snow, your comment did sound like you were saying about asevening because someone asked is there anything going towards SW Wales and I think that person would mean tonight not tommorow. Misunderstanding no needs for any of us to be stupid over it.

Posted

Could be 2-5cm of snow over higher ground with the front tomorrow, any snow is likely to fall at higher ground (150m+) with perhaps temporary acumilations for low ground, but mostly rain or sleet. Best chance for any snow is in the evening/night for low groundukprec.png

Edited by 10123

Posted

Am getting reports of between 2 and 3 feet of level snowfall in the Aviemore and Grantown on Spey areas to the south of me. They must be getting fed up of such enormous snowfalls this last winter and now spring. Looks like they will have to dig out the funicular railway again at the Cairngorm ski resort in the next few days after doing it several times already this past winter. I find this rather ironic to have snow at a ski resort which is too deep to allow uplift due to the track being buried.

Am getting reports of between 2 and 3 feet of level snowfall in the Aviemore and Grantown on Spey areas to the south of me. They must be getting fed up of such enormous snowfalls this last winter and now spring. Looks like they will have to dig out the funicular railway again at the Cairngorm ski resort in the next few days after doing it several times already this past winter. I find this rather ironic to have snow at a ski resort which is too deep to allow uplift due to the track being buried.

2 to 3 foot :shok:

Posted

They had problems at the olympics in Whistler with "too much snow", so I suppose there has to be a balance - "too much snow" will also mean the avalanche risk increases

Posted
Well another miserable day here with a maximum of 1c, heavy wet snow and a fresh to strong N wind. Its trying to settle now as can be seen in photo but just a few miles inland there must be masses of snow and lots of disruption according to local radio.post-2744-12700565159255_thumb.jpgCan actually see on the photo where the dry snow starts to fall just a mile to the south of us.
Yes the inland disruption has been pretty much constant all day, have you see th Huntly Traffic cam? it's been like that all day, it was closed earlier becasue of a jack-knifed loory at Pitcaple, but it looks to me like that they couldn't keep it clear anyway - (for those that don't know that's the main A96 Aberdeen to Inverness Road) It finally appears to have let up a bit here (wind calmed down!) about an hour or so ago, we've had lots of branches down today, but were one of the lucky ones who kept our power, some within the same village have lost theirs - the weird depths thing applies here too, son went out to walk dog earlier (yes it's our school holidays) and Dad had to go get him, at one point he jumped over a fence and landed up to his armpits! - so about 3ft deep, whereas in some places no depth at all - and this was just the local round the village walk, not the hills :)

ETA: re the funicular and Grantown, a good friend of ours has moved there and says yes that just keeping things running is not funny any more, and I must dmit I didn't enjoy the snow clearing this morning, nor the fact that kids easter holiday activities are cancelled.. it's time for spring please :shok:

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Haha for once the mountains in ni have more snow than them!

Posted
FJ, with all due respect.. I'm chuffed you're enjoying your snow :shok: but its not a competition & Grantown and surrounding areas still haven't lost their snowfall from the winter yet, I'm sure it's probably deeper that the fresh 2-3ft NorthernLights has reported they've just had.. we still had lying snow, before this event, or our little mountain here (Bennachie) which is most unusual for this time of year Edited by Snooz

Posted

Nor is Grantown the Scottish Mountains, I think/Know the Scottish mountains will easily beat NI snow depths! But as said, its not a competition :shok:

Posted

Does anyone know if Shetland Coastie still posts? Would like to know more details on weather during the year, as may be considering a change of scenery with new contract?

No new snow here today, Campsies and Ochils stole most of it, and Cumbernauld is very white as well.

Posted

The streamer is setting itself up now for The Midlands, wouldn't be surprised if it snows here tonight though if it settles it will be gone by the time ive got up anyway :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Was shocked 30 mins ago, had the most intense grauple shower i have ever seen.. Lasted around 60 seconds, but it was amazing.

2.7c here with frequent showers of hail, heavy most of the time.

Just as I posted, we just had another hail shower. Turned to sleet/light snow now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just had another heavy hail shower, these seem to be getting more frequent and lasting longer each time.