Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

New photo of the eruption, taken from the Coast Guard's helicopter. Photos: Civil Defense

419919449_927670982075374_6524177832671021947_n.thumb.jpg.a81c005b596e1d582864ff770b5a39aa.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme, Aurora, Lightning

If it continues at this pace the town will be hit this afternoon 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Very worrying and dangerous situation. Whilst beautiful to look at from afar.

• Like 1

Posted

You'd be surprised the lengths 'tourists' will go to in a attempt to see an Eruption, when I was at Vogar on Dec 20th I saw two people attempting to cross the 7-mile length old lava-fields during the middle of a snowstorm for a Eruption that was effectively over by then. If this was at Fagradalsfjall again with no houses or major infrastructure at imminent risk then it'd be a different story.

418880229_10168430624625254_294230530068729357_n.thumb.jpg.5fac0ce4f272e412941edcd44348ea53.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

A vent just opened up next to the town...

Posted
13 minutes ago, toggerob said:

Not good, another vent has opened up right next to town on Shawn Willseys livestream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPm-J2YqzZY

Untitled.thumb.jpg.cf71ba77cd12e521c65a7a5978c52631.jpg

Was about to say yes, literally metres from the first houses, this isn’t going to be good by days end, more may open right in the streets tbh 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes it looks like the town is 100% toast. Amazingly they were still working on the barriers before that despite an eruptive fissure within the barriers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sw gales or lot's of snow

Lava crossing the road to grindavik 

Edited by Deep Channel low
Add text
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Fen Wolf said:

Was about to say yes, literally metres from the first houses, this isn’t going to be good by days end, more may open right in the streets tbh 

It's unfortunately looking that way with continuing 0.1 - 1 magnitude quakes trending under and south of Grindavik. The Graben or 'crack' formed in November will be a key proponent as to whether any-more fissures have the potential to open-up directly under town. IMHO the town is still salvageable so long as the eruption isn't persistent in duration and the port remains intact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

😢, was hoping the town would be ok, guess now, even if lava stays out, it's way to close to activity for people to live there, just won't be safe for a long while.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Where as I normally watch I rlandic vents, normally so beautiful, I don't think I'll watch this one. Just glad no one is in the town.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, toggerob said:

It's unfortunately looking that way with continuing 0.1 - 1 magnitude quakes trending under and south of Grindavik. The Graben or 'crack' formed in November will be a key proponent as to whether any-more fissures have the potential to open-up directly under town. IMHO the town is still salvageable so long as the eruption isn't persistent in duration and the port remains intact.

I think by days end after seeing that just open up, potentially more fissures may open up in the middle of the town in the streets but we have to see but thinking the whole town is going to be torn apart and eruptions in and out of the town itself by days end ☹️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

New fissure still expanding glad too see they've go the diggers out of the way. Pointless them being there now plus they are in massive danger as new fissure could have opened up near them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Oh no,it has reached the houses😞

house.thumb.png.43c21561200462b8e9e941e56229db9c.png

Edited by Allseasons-Si
  • Like 2

Posted

I wonder if this means the end of lava barriers.

They weren't effective in the 1st eruption werent tried in the 2nd and 3rd eruption, untested in the 4th and quickly breached in the 5th.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The largest lava flow has now rounded the barrier as it heading towards the town. It looks like where it topped the barrier the flow has stopped on the road. The flow from the new fissure has now entered the town with another flow approaching from the NNE. I think I got the directions right presuming the camera is pointing due south.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Seems to have died down a lot after having a right old blast late yesterday.

Posted

Eruptive activity is significantly lower than compared to yesterday, it's un/fortunate that the main and southern fissures breached the barrier in places but a (estimated) 90% of the flow was held back from directly flowing into central Grindavik which no doubt saved many homes & businesses. As usual with fissure eruptions the most eruptive phase is over in hours/days with magma flow-rates gradually reducing thereafter, the most concern now is that local GPS Stations around Svartsengi are still showing heightened inflation meaning this same fissure is potentially ready to 'pulse' again or the magma has found another channel with a heightened potential for another eruption somewhere nearby.

• Like 1

Posted

It is difficult to estimate how long this eruption will last. Seismic activity has decreased and, according to GPS measurements, movement in the area is decreasing. However, movement continues to be measured in the southern part of the magma tunnel under Grindavík.

Based on measurements, sliding within the town limits has been up to 1.4 m in the last 24 hours, which is spread over many cracks, new ones have formed and older ones are opening up more. New cracks may be appearing on the surface in the coming days. As mentioned before, the eruption centers are a high risk area and it cannot be ruled out that new fissures will open without warning. That was the case when the crack opened at the border of Grindavík yesterday. No signals were seen on the measuring instruments in connection with that eruption in particular.

The next few days will continue with measurements and gathering of additional data along with their analysis. From that data, i.a. Computational models are being worked on to better understand the events leading up to the event and to assess the probable progress of the eruption. The sequence of events on December 18 is also being compared with the eruption that started yesterday in order to increase understanding of the changes in the region and to assess which scenarios are most likely in the future.

Vedur.is

420000422_819050700250926_4967183761179521809_n.thumb.jpg.03b75d3c4ecd2bfa8393476e0be10905.jpg

Posted

Last time I looked it looked like it was down to one vent so should be soon over but volcanos are unpredictable

Posted

I am no longer in Iceland.  I have now headed South to warmer climates.  Got some footage and was interesting whilst it lasted.  Am on standby currently in case it kicks off again but currently in the Canaries for the moment.  

Posted

Perhaps Teidi will go up for you.

Now either the GPS stations aren't updating or the eruption hasn't released enough Magma as majority of stations aren't showing any deflation after the eruption. If they are updating that means another eruption is very likely pretty soon.  It will be worth having another look tomorrow. I think it just a case of the data not being uploaded for some reason.

• Like 2