Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Perhaps Teidi will go up for you.

Now either the GPS stations aren't updating or the eruption hasn't released enough Magma as majority of stations aren't showing any deflation after the eruption. If they are updating that means another eruption is very likely pretty soon.  It will be worth having another look tomorrow. I think it just a case of the data not being uploaded for some reason.

Probably some are damaged.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Probably some are damaged.

I've gone round a lot which aren't in the line of fire. I suspect none of the data has been uploaded. Server fault ??? Can't see them being manually updated if they are it's one hell of a job to do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

• Like 2

Posted

Mmmmm if the eruption continued at the same pace a big longer say two or three days rather than quickly declining over night I think the barriers would have been easily defeated. I think I little too much back slapping is going on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
LIVEFROMICELAND.IS

Watch live feeds from our webcams with spectacular views of Iceland. Our streaming cameras are placed all around Iceland and broadcast 24/7. The ultimate slow TV!

• Thanks 1

Posted

I think unfortunately now this area has "woken up" we will see what we have seen this past 24 hours or so fairly often. 

I've read that there is a cycle of inactivity and activity over many hundreds of years and this is probably the start of a fairly active period which could last a couple of hundred years. 

Really, when you look at the geology of Reykjanes the land is just completely shattered and even flying over it you can see how tortured and stressed it is. 

The question is how long and how much effort do they put into trying to save Grindavik with the ground underneath so unstable, as was seen in previous weeks and today with that sliding. 

I think this is only the start and eventually we could see that whole landscape changed over the course of the next few years. After all, what we are watching is what has created Iceland as a whole. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme, Aurora, Lightning
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

Perhaps Teidi will go up for you.

Now either the GPS stations aren't updating or the eruption hasn't released enough Magma as majority of stations aren't showing any deflation after the eruption. If they are updating that means another eruption is very likely pretty soon.  It will be worth having another look tomorrow. I think it just a case of the data not being uploaded for some reason.

I have always wanted to see Teide go yes, perhaps I shall get my wish 😆

Posted
37 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

I think unfortunately now this area has "woken up" we will see what we have seen this past 24 hours or so fairly often. 

I've read that there is a cycle of inactivity and activity over many hundreds of years and this is probably the start of a fairly active period which could last a couple of hundred years. 

Really, when you look at the geology of Reykjanes the land is just completely shattered and even flying over it you can see how tortured and stressed it is. 

The question is how long and how much effort do they put into trying to save Grindavik with the ground underneath so unstable, as was seen in previous weeks and today with that sliding. 

I think this is only the start and eventually we could see that whole landscape changed over the course of the next few years. After all, what we are watching is what has created Iceland as a whole. 

All it is going to take is a large fissure opening right in the centre of the town itself… it is going to happen sooner or later regardless so I personally think grindavik needs to be relocated in a safer place.  

Grindavik is not a place, it is the people, just like Asgard, and what Thor, Fenrir, Loki, Odin & all the Norse Gods always said about home.   If you move the people the town lives in them 👍

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 4

Posted

Only a few GPS stations showing deflination these are based S of Grindvaik so probably related to the land moving and resettling ratehr than magma being drawn away. Seng still rising for example.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Uplift continues it seems the stations at the edge of the uplift showed brief fall but are now rising again. Wouldn't be surprised another eruption say in the next seven days

Posted

Remember to keep checking this page which posts the IMO updates for Reykjanes. 

Below is the latest hazard map as of yesterday, I don't think it will be that long before we see further activity. Interesting to note in the bottom left hand corner the graphic the map of faults through Grindavik, showing just how shattered the land is under the town. 

Hazard_map_IMO_17jan_2024.thumb.png.92e22a7ef40d8e69c8a766a4df7da88d.png

Posted

Uplift on all sites now.

Posted

Soon

You reckon there might be a major eruption like a proper big destructive one that all these ones are building up to?  Seems a lot of activity lately

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's a fascinating documentary about Krakatoa and its aftermath. And its child, Anak Krakatoa, continues to grow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nikola Tesla: a genius who never invented a perpetual motion machine but did give us alternating current:

Sorry, mods, wrong thread! 😱

Edited by Methuselah

Posted

Here's a fascinating documentary about Krakatoa and its aftermath. And its child, Anak Krakatoa, continues to grow: it's good documentary for when it was made though.

Actually Anak rakatoa fell into the sea in Dec 2018 so it's shrunk a lot. It's now rebuilding but it will be a while before it get back to it's size prior to the 2018 eruption.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted

The interesting thing about the caldera formed after the 1883 is that it's offset from the original island. Anak grew on the edge the deepest part of the caldera so unless it managed to fill the caldera near it it would always be prone to slope failure. It's likely to repeat the process again in the future unless the vent moves location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

KILAUEA is now on orange alert!!!

Posted

On 22/12/2023 at 17:00, Fen Wolf said:

Lots of earthquakes & back in the UK now.   Give it a month or less, probs be round 2 by or before February 15th 👍

Would be round 3 if it occurs but i still think on valentines day another eruption will be underway or the day before or after by the 15th, we shall see 

Edited by Fen Wolf

Posted

watching both live web cams

Kilauea is likely to a rift eruption so will probably miss the start until they set up camera's

Posted

Thinking it might be time to venture up to the True North again in Iceland, if i get footage I will try to post but will be using a vpn that connects to uk servers so not always possible.  

It will be soon though, likely by the 15th or before like i have previously said.  🌋

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 3

Posted

Thar she goes again at Sylingarfell. The forecast of a eruption between the 7th - 11th based on computer-model accumulation rates were spot on, and i'll be interested to hear if the borehole at the power-plant fluctuated in temp+pressure beforehand, and whether the Icelandic volcanologists will now use this method going forward in giving a few hours 'heads up' notice about future eruptions in this area.

4 hours later and the eruption-rate seems to have dropped significantly with a common trend now forming in this volcanic complex where it releases magma after a certain input point is met, but the eruptive rate compared to what's been seen at Fagradalsfjall is fairly short lived.

• Like 1