Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Update from BBC website just been posted.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8627545.stm

Vala cam is clearing however:

http://eldgos.mila.i...-fra-valahnjuk/

Hmmmm! I hope that is snow showing now and not ash, I should think the poor Icelandic farmers in the area stand to lose more than anyone on this.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Does anyone know what the red lines on this seismic graph represent?

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

I only ask as it has been rapidly climbing and i was wondering what the implications of this (if any) were.

Posted

I don't think I've ever wished for a Bartlett High as much as I do now, if only the NAO could fire back to strongly positive, the likes of which we haven't properly seen since last November/December!. I would be heartbroken if tour 1 doesn't go ahead, although at the same time secretly awed by the incredible power of nature over us all.

Every few minutes I can see a few tiny flitters of shiny speckles floating about outside my window. Hard to believe it is the ash but the sky does look very hazy and almost "smoggy" on the horizon.

Posted

Does anyone know what the red lines on this seismic graph represent?

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

I only ask as it has been rapidly climbing and i was wondering what the implications of this (if any) were.

I was just going to ask the same question, and whether it is the important measure or whether the other lines, which at the moment are trending down, are the ones to watch.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Seems to be just a different frequency as to what it means I don't know except that the activity seems to be increasing.

Posted

Vala cam is (or was!) starting to clear again http://eldgos.mila.i...-fra-valahnjuk/ clouds/plume moving from right to left so I guess it was a snow shower over the cam just now.

Also Looking at XCWeather Biggin Hill is reporting volcanic ash.

Edit: view gone again.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Trouble brewing

And the BBC's business editor, Robert Peston, said executives were "beginning to question whether the Met Office's computer model of the ash cloud is exaggerating its size. They claim that satellite pictures do not corroborate the Met's computerised simulation of the cloud."

Now if they manage to prove the computerised simulation is wrong I wonder if they'll claim compensation from the Met office.

Posted

The fact that seismic activity is still going strong is a real worry, esp if the plume is reducing. That being said this eruption has been plusing up and down right from when it first started so can't really read much into it at all.

Katla really is the one to watch though it seems for a bigger erutpion.

Also, how the heck do those executives have any idea about the ash cloud, no offense but they should butt out and do something they are good at, leave that sort of thing to the actulal experts.

Don't they know that the ash is at many different levels and that its not just a small region that you can see on the Sat.imagery!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Trouble brewing

And the BBC's business editor, Robert Peston, said executives were "beginning to question whether the Met Office's computer model of the ash cloud is exaggerating its size. They claim that satellite pictures do not corroborate the Met's computerised simulation of the cloud."

Now if they manage to prove the computerised simulation is wrong I wonder if they'll claim compensation from the Met office.

The very fact we have ash on our car means they are probably not exaggerating. From what I read it only takes a tiny amount of ash to cause problems to jet engines. Err on the side of caution with this stuff I say, would be a bigger outcry if a plane came down due to not being warned, so MetO are damned if they do, damned if they don't as I see it.

Posted

The very fact we have ash on our car means they are probably not exaggerating. From what I read it only takes a tiny amount of ash to cause problems to jet engines. Err on the side of caution with this stuff I say, would be a bigger outcry if a plane came down due to not being warned, so MetO are damned if they do, damned if they don't as I see it.

I suspect it's money talking rather than anything else. They're getting worried. Going to be tremendous pressure being applied to authorities in the next few days.

Posted
Scientists from Wiltshire who have been making test flights into the volcanic ash cloud say the decision to close UK airspace is not an over-reaction.

Experts from Swindon-based Natural Environment Research Council (Nerc) flew over London and tracked the plume's edge near East Anglia.

Flying just below 10,000 ft (3,000m) their instruments recorded "heavy gritty particles" at about 8,000ft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8628028.stm

KLM, Lufthansa, Air France take note ^^

Posted
Looks like MET office using computer models and not weather models to do their ash tests, the same models that make up their climate change and can't predict a warm or cold winter?

Mwhahaha! The AGW mob will be sulking.

Here's a bit more from Bild, the main German newspaper:

German airline Air Berlin said it had also carried out test flights and expressed irritation at the shutdown of European air space.

"We are amazed that the results of the test flights done by Lufthansa and Air Berlin have not had any bearing on the decision-making of the air safety authorities," Chief Executive Joachim Hunold said.

"The closure of the air space happened purely because of the data of a computer simulation at the Vulcanic Ash Advisory Center in London,"

Europe via London (UK) war of words has started

Posted

In the summer we often get plumes of sand from the Sahara deposited on our cars. How is this ey-a-loke volcano ash different from regular sand deposits?

Perhaps the international rules are too inflexible and do not take account of local variability where it is possible to fly.

Posted

The irony of all this is that three Icelandair flights have left/leaving Keflavik bound for Trondheim, Norway. LOL

Talk about rubbing salt in wounds. Guess once arriving at Trondheim, buses to ferry terminals then home that way ?

Posted

yep it looks like it ,what's the white line i can see on there

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

yep it looks like it ,what's the white line i can see on there

That does look odd. Perhaps its glare in the camera lens from reflection from the ice???