Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Have you seen the tremor plots today? http://hraun.vedur.i...9/gosplott.html

Ash production has suddenly reduced tremendously...

Wow! They are as high as the original eruption and that wasn't at such sustained levels!

Checking the Thorolsfelli cam for the first time this morning and that steem cleft is much further down with another steem vent opened up further down, I reckon that steam/lava will have reached the end of the glacier by tonight tomorrow if this rate continues.

Looks like being another day of addictive viewing unless the cloud cover moves in and even then the steam vents are so far down the glacier now we should still see something.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

From here: http://www.earthice.hi.is/page/ies_Eyjafjallajokull_eruption

'Additional note: Plumes of white steam extend partway down Gígjökull. The uppermost plume represents the position of the northward-flowing lava flow, whereas the lower plumes are from hot meltwater.'

'Conditions at eruption site:

A 200-m-wide eruptive crater is visible within the ice cauldron. The rim of the crater appears to be ~30 m lower than the adjacent ice surface. Lava has propagated ~1 km north from the crater toward Gígjökull. Although steam is forming over the lava front, no large emissions of steam originate from the eruptive crater.'

'Presently, there are no measurable indications that the eruption is about to end.'

Posted

There now appears to be steam venting at the extreme left side of the Thorolfsfelli cam. A seperate lava flow or hot water run-off?

Posted

Probably neither.

Any ideas what then LadyP? It is fascinating me as I have never noticed it until 30 minutes ago and it was only a wisp of steam then.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Any ideas what then LadyP? It is fascinating me as I have never noticed it until 30 minutes ago and it was only a wisp of steam then.

One of those meterological phenomenon, not uncommon on mountains, I suspect. You see it quite freqently on timelapse type views on tv.

Posted

One of those meterological phenomenon, not uncommon on mountains, I suspect. You see it quite freqently on timelapse type views on tv.

Many thanks for the answer LP.

Have you noticed a massive slab of ice seems to be coming detatched on the right side of the glacier and is sliding down to the crack. Wonder if that will slow the progress somewhat?

Or alternatively, perhaps it was like that yesterday and I didn't notice. :unknw:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

To check old images on the vodaphone cam, take a look here: http://extras.vodafone.is/trailers/fimmvorduhals/mx10-4-235-80/2010/

The first thing you will see is that the current folder is called 2010 (year). Sub folders are divided by month then day & then hour. Have a look back and see if there has been any movement.

Posted

To check old images on the vodaphone cam, take a look here: http://extras.vodafo...-4-235-80/2010/

The first thing you will see is that the current folder is called 2010 (year). Sub folders are divided by month then day & then hour. Have a look back and see if there has been any movement.

Yet again many thanks! That is a fantastic tool and will really stop my imagination/wishful thinking running away with me.

It looks different as is to be expected but no evidence it is sliding. :unknw:

I am learning all the time on here and now have another bookmark in my already overcrowded folder.

Posted

Another tip - when the vodaphone cam is too busy to get onto, the images are still archived in those folders and you can usually get to them - select current.jpg & just refresh it every so often. You need to remember to change the hour every so often but it's better than nothing!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Tremour still rising and plenty of steam and ash. A very good day so far.

Posted

Tremour still rising and plenty of steam and ash. A very good day so far.

Yes, a very interesting day so far as the winds are now coming from Iceland!

The met office website mentions that the plume reaches 5km and moves southeast. Previous updates were saying that the ash was staying in the vicinity of Iceland.

Karyo

Posted

The next few days will be a test for the authorities as upper winds are likely to be from the Iceland area-just how restrictive may it become again I wonder!

I have to confess a personal interest as I'm due to fly to Cyprus next Monday!

Posted

The next few days will be a test for the authorities as upper winds are likely to be from the Iceland area-just how restrictive may it become again I wonder!

I am lucky, I can watch this at ease as I don't fly anywhere until halfway through June. Hope you make it anyway John but not at the cost of safety.

Thorolfsfelli cam showing a nice image now the clouds are clearing for a while.

Esk tremor graph going higher than ever before. http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I don't know if it is a trick of the light but one of the far steam plumes appears to be showing a red glow at times.

Volcanic ash fact-finding mission takes to the skies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8656646.stm

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Don't worry John they'll just redo the safety limits again. Although passengers may be required to take a brush to the engines on landing.

Posted

The ice in thaat 'slumped' area below the latest steam vent is starting to look pretty cracked and rotten.

It is amazing to me though how long the glacier has fought off this relentless attack by lava and steam.

Mind you, remembering how long the ice persisted here this winter perhaps not so surprising as this glacier must be a tremendous volume of ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Here is the latest satellite picture from ESA http://mrrs-ks.eo.esa.int/mrrs/images/2010/05/02/MER_FR__0PNPDK20100502_123210_000004652089_00081_42720_0588.N1_4BDD72C7_image_0260.jpg Careful it is 6.1mb let it load, then Iceland is toward the bottom right, cant miss it because of the volcanic plume lol.

Whats next I wonder, perhaps the glacier will fail when the lava melts through, or are the increases in tremors indicative of other new volcanic activity which may surprise everyone.

Great fun.

Russ

The pic was taken at 1232hrs est today

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

WOOHOO! Steam starting to show further down at the top of that slumped area of ice.

It's getting there!

Spoke too soon. :rolleyes: It's stopped now :lazy: but if it's found it's way there it is still on the move. :lol:

That large hole in the white ice above the water worn cleft is slowly creeping down

Look at the bottom picture of the vodaphone cam. It is now very visible on that.

I wonder if that is the usual rate of glacier creep or is being speeded up by water under the glacier?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I am really pleased this flow is coming down the glacier at the moment, there wouldn't be a lot to see otherwise now the cloud has come in again.

Maybe it will clear and give us another wonderful firework show like last night. :nea:

Just read on the Eruptions blog that scientists are puzzled about the sharp increase in harmonic tremors, see here:-

http://hraun.vedur.i...9/gosplott.html

Also apparently they aren't sure what is going on! Looks like I am not the only one with a lot to learn. :D

Just saw a fracture go on the ice at the top of the water drainage cleft.It can't be long before it goes now surely. I expect it will happen when I am out tonight. GRR!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

WOOHOO! Steam starting to show further down at the top of that slumped area of ice.

It's getting there!

Spoke too soon. :D It's stopped now :nea: but if it's found it's way there it is still on the move. :lol:

Ah at last! 2 hours later it is definitely steaming from the crack at the top of the slumped area.

I have been watching that area for 2 hours! How sad is that? Just so pleased that it happened befoe I went out later.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

For an idea of scale:

That is amazing! I thought it was little trickles like the Aldingbourne Rife flowing out to sea at Felpham half a mile away from me.

Edited by coldfingers