Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

He's having his photo taken on the edge. Just step back a bit please, OOPS over the edge. :)

psml, i want that tea cosy, one is wearing for a hat lmao!

Posted

She does look beautiful today... white skirts spread and a very strange two tone hairdo!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

is this dramatic tonight or is it because, we have not seen it for a few days?, i do recall the bottom hole only being a bit of a steam hole, now it is full blown

Posted

is this dramatic tonight or is it because, we have not seen it for a few days?, i do recall the bottom hole only being a bit of a steam hole, now it is full blown

The Ice at the bottom of the glacier above the water outlet has definitely sunk. I wonder how long before it slips off and/or we see lava flow from that area?

The cracks at the top of the area are widening. Cracks, crevasse?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Did anyone else see the first signs of flame at the top of the mountain on the vodaphone cam. Not sure If i can trust my eyes but aterwards the steam flow increased.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The Ice at the bottom of the glacier above the water outlet has definitely sunk. I wonder how long before it slips off and/or we see lava flow from that area?

The cracks at the top of the area are widening. Cracks, crevasse?

crevasse sounds right for a glacier.

I think the water level has dropped quite a lot, the white line at the bottom of the glacier shows this IMO.

Perhaps this is the final act before breakthrough, I bet it will be dramatic.

Russ

Posted

as i say im no expert!!!, but have been watching for weeks now!, does anyone think things are happening, noticed ash thicker, steam from a small steam hole, now bigger, water flowing, bigger, and now, not too sure, but the larger crater, getting angrier, and so glad five fat bellies, and his lovely blue t shirt ( which was bigger than my bra |lmao) fell off cliff! oops sorry i dreamt that, has gone with is other strange fiends!!!

Posted

crevasse sounds right for a glacier.

I think the water level has dropped quite a lot, the white line at the bottom of the glacier shows this IMO.

Perhaps this is the final act before breakthrough, I bet it will be dramatic.

Russ

I bet it will happen whilst I am asleep!!! :lol:

as i say im no expert!!!, but have been watching for weeks now!, does anyone think things are happening, noticed ash thicker, steam from a small steam hole, now bigger, water flowing, bigger, and now, not too sure, but the larger crater, getting angrier, and so glad five fat bellies, and his lovely blue t shirt ( which was bigger than my bra |lmao) fell off cliff! oops sorry i dreamt that, has gone with is other strange fiends!!!

I don't know a lot either but that lava flow seems to have progressed rather rapidly downhill. I had expected all that ice and meltwater would slow it down more than it has done.

Posted

I bet it will happen whilst I am asleep!!! :lol:

same here russ

i bet when i say im off, and hub gets on, it will happen, but you can see from when all this started till now, things are looking iffy, espcially at bottom, i have feeling in water lmao, it will happen when i a gogo!!!, and i get up at 6am all happened

Posted

I can't believe that I used to love watching clouds!! Just goes to show, context is all important.

Unless that cloud lifts a little i don't think we will see a lot of incandescance tonight.

Posted

I can't believe that I used to love watching clouds!! Just goes to show, context is all important.

Unless that cloud lifts a little i don't think we will see a lot of incandescance tonight.

i dont know, but im seeing more at this at night, than i have for a week, on vodaphone, the other i cant spell aint working, and val not showing alot, and hel showing abit!!! how sad am i, on sat night, watching vol!!!

Posted

Just been away for a while, needed some stimulation so I went to watch some paint dry.:fool:

I think that cloud is getting lower. :cray:

The ash plume on the Hvolsvelli cam is in sight so it's clear above and clear below but the lady is in hiding again.

It really only needs that cloud to lift a few hundred feet. Is that so much to ask!!!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I think we will see the glow from the top Vodaphone picture soon as the light levels are starting to get lower now, he says hopefully.

Russ

Posted

I think we will see the glow from the top Vodaphone picture soon as the light levels are starting to get lower now, he says hopefully.

Russ

Look at the bottom picture and then look at how the ice is starting to crack. It will go tonight I reckon but just the end I expect.

Posted

can it wait till i watch caualty, only an hour!! are u watching the base?

Posted

can it wait till i watch caualty, only an hour!! are u watching the base?

I am talking about the cracks right at the top of the blown up view in the white ice above the cleft where the water is draining.

There were no cracks at all a couple of hours ago.

And the large semi-circular crevasse above it on the top view is also widening so it is definitely sinking or sliding slowly downhill.

How slow is the question.

:fool: Sorry, forgot to say you will need to zoom in to see it properly!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I am talking about the cracks right at the top in the white ice above the cleft where the water is draining.

There were no cracks at all a couple of hours ago.

yes i see now, im a novice to all this, but i cant keep my eyes away, soz i was looking at bottom, where all the jet steams were 2 days ago, but see now scary!

[/

Posted

yes i see now, im a novice to all this, but i cant keep my eyes away, soz i was looking at bottom, where all the jet steams were 2 days ago, but see now scary!

Has anyone else's vodaphone cam stopped working?

Posted

Look at the bottom picture and then look at how the ice is starting to crack. It will go tonight I reckon but just the end I expect.

I can't believe I can be so unlucky! Part of that ice broke off while the vodaphone cam was down and I couldn't watch it! :fool:

After all it was only an incy-wincy bit.

Still it's back now and maybe, just maybe, as it is getting dark we may see some flames or at least a glow.

Is it looking more like smoke than steam coming from that lower sinkhole in the glacier now?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Is that red reflecting from the steam/smoke coming from the hole in the glacier?

Valahnuk cam showing the eruption really going well now!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Valahnuk showing flames now and a steady glow on the darker vodaphone cam.

Judging by the extra steam showing on the vodaphone cam now there must have been another flow of lava.

Midnight and a fantastic fireshow on this webcam http://eldgos.mila.i...-fra-valahnjuk/

Wow! That is some eruption now! What a wonder to see!

12:52 am. Just saw flame appear to shoot hundreds of feet into the air on the Hvolsvelli cam.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

looks pretty cool CF, much better than I thought on the Hvolsvelli cam.

Just found this massive sat pic taken yesterday showing the plume near the bottom on the right, still looks pretty big to me.

http://mrrs-ks.eo.esa.int/mrrs/images/2010/05/01/MER_FR__0PNPDK20100501_130251_000005552089_00067_42706_0584.N1_4BDC2A7E_image_0260.jpg ESA ENVISAT MERIS

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Hmmm, couldn't sleep so checked webcams to see what is happening. :rolleyes:

Rusty, this is the best I have seen this eruption so far. Perhaps I have just missed it before but the view on the Hvolsvelli cam is still pretty startling!

I will be interested in the morning to check what further damage has been done to that glacier.

Tremors steadily rising too. http://hraun.vedur.i...9/gosplott.html

I really hope someone does a timelapse video of tonights eruption. I have never seen those flames so high on the Hvolsvelli cam. This really an intense eruption tonight! ven what appear to be fireballs shooting high into the air.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Very good views today. Two huge plumes one from the crater and one from the ice sheet. Lava must be well down the slope by now.