Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

I know - it is hard to get a sense of scale until something familiar is caught in frame. I suspect they are scientists rather than tourists!

Posted

I know - it is hard to get a sense of scale until something familiar is caught in frame. I suspect they are scientists rather than tourists!

Hope they don't get caught in a sudden flow! :D

Tremors continue to rise to new heights on the Esk chart.

Posted

These vehicles are probably what they call 'super jeeps' equipped with snorkles & the like. Can go through quite deep water if they need. I want to drive one... for giggles. Look like this apparently: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CeTKUI7gs3E/S92y7ludGKI/AAAAAAAAQ6M/u60hv5nWLGw/s800/DSC_9309.JPG

in action. Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

These vehicles are probably what they call 'super jeeps' equipped with snorkles & the like. Can go through quite deep water if they need. I want to drive one... for giggles. Look like this apparently: http://lh5.ggpht.com...00/DSC_9309.JPG

in action.

Ah, I want one! I should think that is a super vehicle to have in Iceland, even some places in Scotland that would be useful.

I am finding it hard to believe how high these trmors are going at the moment. it keeps breaking it's own record today.

18:53pm

Steam finally made it to the hole at the end of the glacier and steaming water now coming out the outflow.

I can go out and celebrate now. The drinks are on me tonight. Well the first round anyway.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Vodaphone cam is back up and the closeup view has stuff happening in it.

Can you post the URL for the camara ta awfully much

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Smoking nicely now by the way. Sorry should be steaming.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Wonder what the temperature of that water is now... I would say the hot stuff is pretty close to the outflow now, looking at that.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

How lucky is that! I got back from the pub to my daughters place just in time to see all that action!

It seems to be my day today!

What a lovely show and how glad I am the fog stayed away.

Does anyone think the high levels on the tremor charts are of any major significance? They seem to be rising significantly to me but I don't know what the significance is.

Posted

How lucky is that! I got back from the pub to my daughters place just in time to see all that action!

It seems to be my day today!

What a lovely show and how glad I am the fog stayed away.

Does anyone think the high levels on the tremor charts are of any major significance? They seem to be rising significantly to me but I don't know what the significance is.

No-one seems to - that's what makes it such fun! Just think, not so long ago we would not have been able to watch all this real time. Who woulda thunk it...

Woa, look at 'er go!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Wonder what the temperature of that water is now... I would say the hot stuff is pretty close to the outflow now, looking at that.

Well I wouldn't like to have a bath in it.

The tremor is interesting could be either the magma chamber contracting or perhaps magma finding another way to the surface. Can't see it being due to Glacier melting.

Posted

No-one seems to - that's what makes it such fun! Just think, not so long ago we would not have been able to watch all this real time. Who woulda thunk it...

Yes I suppose when this volcano last erupted they didn't have the scientific equipment to do all the measurements etc, so I reckon I am really privileged to be able to watch this.

Posted

Vodaphone camera seems to have to sleep a little this one is showing a lot more action http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

Posted

Nightfall could be interesting - wonder where the glow has got to.

Did you see the image captured last night on the Eruptions blog showing a glow partway down the slope? http://www.corestore.org/3glows.jpg

According to the RUV site (from post #91 on the eruptions blog): 'The current estimate is that the lava has ca. 1km (ca. 0.6mi) to go before it breaks into free air.'

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

:) Great there is a program just starting on channel 4 about the volcano its on for 65 mins.

Útsýni frá Þórólfsfelli is very good atm, the steam!

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Nightfall could be interesting - wonder where the glow has got to.

Not sure we will see much at all with this low cloud. Still I need some sleep! Kept waking last night and peeking at the webcams! -_-

:D Great there is a program just starting on channel 4 about the volcano its on for 65 mins.

Getting hubby to tape it for me so I can watch it when this live show is off the air. :D

I had a Finnish boyfriend many years ago who raved about how wonderful it was when he visited Iceland to be bathing in hot springs underneath the sky with the Aurora showing.

Wish I was in Iceland now!

Posted

I have the laptop infront of the TV and roaring fire -_-

I have recorded or am recording the program too, up to now it is pretty good, nice views of the eruptions, the first two vents and the main one.

Russ

Posted

According to the RUV site (from post #91 on the eruptions blog): 'The current estimate is that the lava has ca. 1km (ca. 0.6mi) to go before it breaks into free air.'

Wondering how long it will take the lava to travel 1km, it is downhill after all!

I have the laptop infront of the TV and roaring fire -_-

Russ

HaHa :D If you can't have the real thing (lava) a roaring fire is the next best thing. Can't believe it has gone so cold so suddenly.

That northerly wind shouldn't be around at this time of year. It should be warm southerlies if I had my way.

Looking at that steaming water I don't suppose the water would need to be that hot would it. After all, if it was snowing the other day the air temperature must still be pretty cold.

Just read this that someone posted on the Eruption site.:-

I have fallen strangely in love with this volcano which has provided some stunningly beautiful images over the past few weeks. It is almost a living work of art

Posted by: stormymonday | May 2, 2010 1:18 PM

I think that sums up fully my own feeling after watching this volcano for so many days.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

-_- Great there is a program just starting on channel 4 about the volcano its on for 65 mins.

Oh dear they managed to bring Global warming into it. We're doomed.

Posted

Unless GW is mentioned in an thing (research paper, tv documentary etc.) they won't get the funding to be made. Pretend it's the latest fashion (like shoulder pads, rara skirts or boob tubes - I'm showing my age but they were all fashions I ignored when I was a teen) and ignore it.

Spotted the tourists/scientists on the Thoro/Voda cams yet?

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Not a bad program until it got towards the end and then it started the scare angle. Never mind.

Lava on view tomorrow anyone???

Edited by The PIT

Posted

there are cars driving whth their lights on http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ They have got some bottle -_-

They have gone now three cars, they went right up to the terminal moraine.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

there are cars driving whth their lights on http://eldgos.mila.i...fimmvorduhalsi/ They have got some bottle -_-

Got some or been on it? By the way, I am going for lava visible late afternoon tomorrow.

Hmm! The way that is steaming now at the base of the glacier maybe I should revise that estimate and make it earlier.

Anyone else seeing a red glow up at the top of that crack or is it my eyes playing up again? Need to toggle full screen to see it, if it is really there!

Haha, As I was typing it turned to flames!!!

Edited by coldfingers