Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

This is what the place use to look like before the eruption - you should be able to see the glacier running down into a lake that used to be there but had recently drained.

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/2010/nr/1865

The view you see from here: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ & the Vodaphone images show this same glacier & drained lake, where the melt water is running out.

Here's another pic of how it used to look: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/13260384.jpg

More pics: http://www.earthice.hi.is/page/jardvis_EYJOKULL_myndir

The first one in the series was taken 7 days before the eruption started The first one in the series was taken 7 days before the eruption started. the last three were taken today.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

This is what the place use to look like before the eruption - you should be able to see the glacier running down into a lake that used to be there but had recently drained.

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/2010/nr/1865

The view you see from here: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ & the Vodaphone images show this same glacier & drained lake, where the melt water is running out.

Here's another pic of how it used to look: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/13260384.jpg

What surprises me is the staying power of that ice, if asked a few weeks ago I would have said the crater/caldera would have cleared of glacial ice within hours of the eruption starting http://www.earthice.hi.is/Apps/WebObjects/HI.woa/wa/dp?pictureID=1016365&id=1027696 Here it still is today :blink:

Noticed the riot act was read on Eruptions blog b/w lol and thank god...

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

That ice is very old, dense and hard a nails. Most of the lava is under it so it is melting from below & the ice either forming a roof or collapsing in. What you see may be just a crust in places.

yes, just after my post here I went back and saw the one from Erik telling them to go elsewhere if they wanted to argue about GW. Excellent!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

That ice is very old, dense and hard a nails. Most of the lava is under it so it is melting from below & the ice either forming a roof or collapsing in. What you see may be just a crust in places.

yes, just after my post here I went back and saw the one from Erik telling them to go elsewhere if they wanted to argue about GW. Excellent!

Hard as nails indeed and now its covered in as too, what a complicated strata that volcano system must have. I wonder could lava flow over ash on top of ice?

Here are some very good technical reports on this Volcano and the big one next door Katla. I stumbled upon them last night. As far as I know they have not seen these on the Eruptions blog yet http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-abs_connect?bibcode=2003EAEJA....11700E&return_req=no_params&selfeedback=1&use_title=YES&use_kwds=YES&return_req=feedback

I have only had a quick look myself atm. I dont under stand how it works but I clicked on one last night and it was pages and pages long, now it won't open properly

Regards

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Ash is a pretty good insulator so it might be able to run over ice - for a while anyway. Eventually it would eat through, assuming the lava kept coming but a layer of cooled lava would form at the base (so it would be rock (mountain), ice, ash, rock (cooled lava), lava - then the lava would cool from the top down too).

I think it makes more sense for the lava to follow the melt water channels. it could then make lava tubes below the ice - they'd keep the lava hot as it is insulated from the outside inside its tube.

There's a lot of stuff in that link - I'm to tired to make heads or tails of it tonight. I shall take a look tomorrow.

Posted

Just starting to get dark enough for flames to start showing on the Valahnuk webcam again.

Roll on the fireworks, hopefully it will be as good as last night.

It is well worth toggling for full screen on this cam.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

the lava has arrived at the top of the gorge on the Útsýni frá Þórólfsfelli webcam it looks like we will see a lava fall tonight :blink:

Posted

the lava has arrived at the top of the gorge on the Útsýni frá Þórólfsfelli webcam it looks like we will see a lava fall tonight :blink:

That lava flow is starting to glow nicely on the Porolfsfelli webcam

Gosh, I am actually learning how to spell these words by memory now!

Projective vomiting on the Val webcam!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Did anybody just see that object just fly across the Eyjafjallajökull frá Valahnúk webcam view a minute ago? What was that then? :blink:

Its on the Útsýni frá Þórólfsfelli now aswell, moving fast

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Did anybody just see that object just fly across the Eyjafjallajökull frá Valahnúk webcam view a minute ago? What was that then? :blink:

Its on the Útsýni frá Þórólfsfelli now aswell, moving fast

Yes I just was watching it too, it has made a few passes and some astonishingly tight turns.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Thank god for that I thought I was hallucinating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Ive just seen that as well, does anyone know what it is at all?

Posted

Ive just seen that as well, does anyone know what it is at all?

Seems to have flown away now,some sort of UAV perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Thank God somebody else has posted about this! I saw two about 5 mins apart - they shot off to the left and then executed a really tight turn and went back over the flame and into the cloud on the right!

Could they be dragons????! :shok:

Posted

Seems to have flown away now,some sort of UAV perhaps?

Maybe mellow.gif

Lava is glowing up nicely on the valahnuk cam :shok:

Posted

Unless somebody was flying about in a very quick little plane or chopper, that was a UFO, cool, there ain't many of those about these days :D:shok: The laugh was a nervous one I am in shock...

Posted

Thank God somebody else has posted about this! I saw two about 5 mins apart - they shot off to the left and then executed a really tight turn and went back over the flame and into the cloud on the right!

Could they be dragons????! shok.gif

LOL, I would say it looked a bit too small for a dragon, could be a fire bired maybe or a Lava fly pardon.gif

Posted

I watched it make at least 3 passes and the strange thing was that it made exaclty the same tight turn at exactly the same place.

Could it be someone messing about with a laser? Only a supposition as i don't believe in flying saucers but if it was a plane it was superb skills by someone!!!

Anyway, look out for it on YouTube tomorrow. :shok:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Lava Fly of course. Or could it be a.............Miracle :shok::D

Posted

Unless somebody was flying about in a very quick little plane or chopper, that was a UFO, cool, there ain't many of those about these days :D:D The laugh was a nervous one I am in shock...

See Here. :shok:

Lovely pics tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

But it came out of the chasm, didn't it? I thought it was a lava bomb at first.

Sure hope someone has got it on film and it can be analysed...

See Here. :shok:

Lovely pics tonight.

I think I read somewhere that some of the lights were car headlamps because there are a lot of trippers going up. But not the ones we've seen tonight which were the same colour as the flames...

Posted

. But not the ones we've seen tonight which were the same colour as the flames...

I thought the light of the eruption was reflecting off whatever it was rather than it being it's own light.