Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Good views right now. Another quake under/near Katla — small and shallow.

Posted

And yet another quake under Katla! 5 in a day on Katla and none on Eyja is slightly concerning, it looks as if the focus could be shifting. I hope not. Fairly shallow though, only 1.1km deep but 1.6 magnitude.

Haha I see picog is on the ball and beat me to it. :wallbash:

And another quake equidistant between Katla and Eyja. After the recent dearth of quakes this is interesting to say the least!

Nice dust devil showing in the valley on the Thorolfsfelli cam, at least I seriously hope it is only a dust devil! Thank goodness for that, it finally moved position after holding the same one for ages.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Tremors on esk and hvo charts starting to rise again. An interesting update regarding Eyja, apparently a lake has now formed in the crater. Explains the steam output but worrying if she does erupt again as it would be one very large BANG!

Posted

One more quake under Katla today. It does seem as if the focus of the seismic activity has moved to Katla from Eyja. Still too early to say for sure and I am away on holiday for 10 days tomorrow so will check the IMO site with interest when I can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hi Everyone!!! Although I have been quite on this thread due to storm potential over the past weeek, I have still been checking the IMO for quakes everyday and have been very pleasantly surprised to see Katla haing what seems to be a bit of sleep apnea!! granted she is still in her slumber, but a few sputters none the less! hmmmm, deffo keeping a keener eye on her now. May the Old Witch stirreth?? I have that documentary saved on my sky box to watchbiggrin.gif so have been skimming past the posts that refer to it. I hope its not the same documentary I saw a few weeks back on Discovery where the guy said Eyja's name so eliquently (sp??) that I actually kept saying it outloud for 2 days! hahahaha! I can say it dead perfect now because of him!

Posted

Tremors on esk and hvo charts starting to rise again. An interesting update regarding Eyja, apparently a lake has now formed in the crater. Explains the steam output but worrying if she does erupt again as it would be one very large BANG!

Not good

Posted

Katla starting to look like she has a bad rash on the IMO seismici map. http://en.vedur.is/e.../myrdalsjokull/

Total quakes for today are 3 on Eyja, 3 on Katla and one close to Torfajokull

10 quakes in total now on Katla in past 48 hours with 7 of those in the old crater area. "Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice.

Copied from the 'Eruptions' blog;-

Risk of flooding in Eyjafjallaökull persists:

"Civil has decided to block public traffic to the location. This was decided at a meeting of civil defense today because the water has accumulated in the crater Eyjafjallajökull and risk of sudden flooding. Helicopter flew over with scientists gosstöðvarnar tonight to check conditions. She landed just before ten tonight(...) Although it is not clear how fast the water accumulation will most likely lead to run down Gígjökul. However, there is a high likelihood that it will happen over the next few days, "said Magnus Tumi. It is, however, every reason to restrict traffic to the location as the authorities have decided."

http://www.ruv.is/frett/lokad-fyrir-umferd-inn-i-thorsmork

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

One more quake under Katla today. It does seem as if the focus of the seismic activity has moved to Katla from Eyja. Still too early to say for sure and I am away on holiday for 10 days tomorrow so will check the IMO site with interest when I can.

Could just be settling after tensions in the area. Time will tell of course. It could also be just normal activity in the area.

Posted

Could just be settling after tensions in the area. Time will tell of course. It could also be just normal activity in the area.

Yes, apparently ice melt can be pretty rapid in June but a couple of the quakes are deep, the rest are very likely to be more to do with ice melt I suppose. As you say, only time will tell but at least nothing is likely to happen in the time I am away i would have thought. Much as I would love an extended holiday with my sister, my son-in-law can't afford to be late back to work.

Just had a thought, if the increase in quakes is due to ice melt why would most of them be in the crater area? And why mostly on Katla rather than equally between Eyja and Katla? Don't expect answers as there probably aren't any.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Ooooh! Tremor charts just shot up on 4 out of 5 of the charts. http://hraun.vedur.i...todvaplott.html

First the ooh now the ah! Apparently the spike was caused by a 7.5 earthquake in the Indian Ocean. Tremor plot still slowly rising though. Charts begining to look like a rollercoaster.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

There has been quite a good little swarm on the Reykjanes ridge. There have been at least a half dozen quakes in the last couple of hours

Posted

Shrouded in cloud again today so if anything did happen you wouldn't see it.

Posted

Back from lovely Cornwall and what's happening?......Hmmm.....all quiet.

You could go fishing in the new lake. Fish ready cooked.

Posted

She continues to snore gently, but still with a few quakes occurring regularly.

Posted

There's a bit more steam this morning too on the webcams, good visibility as well!

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

Posted

Somebody was just up giving the camera lens a bit of a wipe. Now, all we need is some action!

Posted

Only one quake in the past 48 hours, she is taking her time to die but it does look terminal now.

By the way, I did have a secret ambition to visit Iceland one day but seeing the regular poor weather on the webcams that one is now off my list of places to visit.

Posted

Some activity from Hekla the last couple of hours. http://www.simnet.is...ke/tremoren.htm

Some activity from Hekla the last couple of hours. http://www.simnet.is...ke/tremoren.htm

some real activity under hekla.

Edited by BARRY