Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

thanx hon! yea things have gone well! my main concern has been my three cats but they came home for tea and they are all safe locked in the house until we move 2morrow morning! hopefully i will see a storm latter weekend! i <3 storms! anyway i havent seen the tremor charts today! any eartquakes under eyjaf or katla?

Posted

Well you keep her going for me please cause I'm moving too. Already packed the car for our annual trip to Cornwall.

Oh No! I need all the help I can get on this thread. Everyone else seems to think she is dead! I will have to make a list of the websites for the cams etc for when I go to Spain in 10 days time. maybe I can get a chance to check things out while I am over there. Now that proves it is an obsession! :)

Someone posted the following on the Eruptions blog. I hope she doesn't mind me copying it for you folks who don't watch that blog as it has some lovely photos of an impressive plume early this morning.

For those not around to see the pretty view from Hvolsvellur early this morning, Iceland time, I've put some screenshots up....

http://picasaweb.google.com/114420151580577086982

Posted by: Kathryn, Australia | June 2, 2010 4:33 AM

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Well you keep her going for me please cause I'm moving too. Already packed the car for our annual trip to Cornwall.

ooooh have a great time! its so beautiful in cornwall!!

Oh No! I need all the help I can get on this thread. Everyone else seems to think she is dead! I will have to make a list of the websites for the cams etc for when I go to Spain in 10 days time. maybe I can get a chance to check things out while I am over there. Now that proves it is an obsession! blush.gif

Someone posted the following on the Eruptions blog. I hope she doesn't mind me copying it for you folks who don't watch that blog as it has some lovely photos of an impressive plume early this morning.

For those not around to see the pretty view from Hvolsvellur early this morning, Iceland time, I've put some screenshots up....

http://picasaweb.goo...151580577086982

Posted by: Kathryn, Australia | June 2, 2010 4:33 AM

he he he! yep! i'd be running around spain trying to find an internet cafe to check on the volcano!

great view of hvolsvellor, thanx! oh and i think eyjaf will start up again soon! i really hope so anyway!

Posted

ooooh have a great time! its so beautiful in cornwall!!

he he he! yep! i'd be running around spain trying to find an internet cafe to check on the volcano!

great view of hvolsvellor, thanx! oh and i think eyjaf will start up again soon! i really hope so anyway!

Actually I am luckier than that, I am staying with my sister but the hard part will be fighting off my son-in-law (who is also going) for computer privelidges *

* That is spelt wrong I think and I am too tired to check. She also has a pool in the garden. :) But no room for a pony! :nonono:

Posted

Actually I am luckier than that, I am staying with my sister but the hard part will be fighting off my son-in-law (who is also going) for computer privelidges *

* That is spelt wrong I think and I am too tired to check. She also has a pool in the garden. clap.gif But no room for a pony! laugh.gif

rofl.gif

and wow! a sister who lives in spain! drunk.gif we need eyjaf to get going again but we dont want it disrupting your flight! nice and clear on the cam tonight apart from some grey wispy misty cloud about!

i really have to go to sleep now! the guys from the removal company are really good looking and one of them was really flirting with me todayoops.gif

bye hopefully be back 2morrow night

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted

Just steaming gently as she falls back to sleep. No quakes for 15+ hours and the tremor chart dropping right down again.

Why is there only activity when it is too cloudy to see anything? We get some nice sunny weather and she starts slumbering again. Still she is a very old lady and probaly needs her naps.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Just had a last look before we leave and maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks as if the steamplume is far more left than it used to be.And just anothe quake too.

Edited by nightfire800

Posted

Just had a last look before we leave and maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks as if the steamplume is far more left than it used to be.And just anothe quake too.

Sadly the quake rate has slowed tremendously and the tremor charts are right down. Add to that the fact that we now have the fog barrier back it makes a disappointing day for Eyja fans.

Posted
Low-cost airline Easyjet PLC has unveiled world-first plans to fit its planes with radar to detect volcanic ash.

Easyjet said Friday that the devices - designed to be placed on the tail fin and detect ash within 100 miles (160 kilometers)_ could prevent a repeat of the shutdown of European air space last month caused by an erupting Icelandic volcano.

The airline says it is spending 1 million pounds ($1.46 million) developing the technology. It plans further tests with aircraft manufacturer Airbus and hopes to put the devices in a dozen of its planes by the end of the year.

www.forbes.com

Posted

One small quake right on target in the last hour. Very cloudy/misty, so no views of the plume so far today.

Posted

One small quake right on target in the last hour. Very cloudy/misty, so no views of the plume so far today.

A large spike on the tremor charts for god, esk, and mid. Wonder if it was a small quake but can't see as no earthquakes are shown after midday today.

Either very quiet in Iceland or it isn't updating. Any way a very slow rise on tremor plots today.

High tremor rate being maintained. Here is what one Icelander thinks.

Posted from the Eruptions blog. http://scienceblogs....es.php#comments (Post number 5)

It is most likely that the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull is re-starting, given the signals that are appearing on the tremor plots on the IMO web page.

I am still waiting for a confirmation on this.

Posted by: Jón Frímann | June 4, 2010 1:27 PM

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Oh drat! That was a very short lived surge! Still maybe another to come? I live in hopes. :lol:

Tremor chart. http://hraun.vedur.i...todvaplott.html

Still wondering what caused that unusual surge.

Plume now becoming visible on Thorolfsfelli cam and it looks ashy.

http://www.flir.com/thermography/eurasia/se/data/?id=30533

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Now I know virtually nothing about this kind of thing but I do find it very interesting.

Ive been looking on the IMO website at the tremor plots and from what I can see the general trend is that the number of tremors is increasing. Does this mean the volcano (im not even going to attempt to write its name) is becoming more active?

Posted

Now I know virtually nothing about this kind of thing but I do find it very interesting.

Ive been looking on the IMO website at the tremor plots and from what I can see the general trend is that the number of tremors is increasing. Does this mean the volcano (im not even going to attempt to write its name) is becoming more active?

I don't know a lot either but I think it looks like she could be extruding more lava. Just my idea though! The biggest problem is the terrible weather causing such bad visibility. I have always wanted to visit Iceland but the weather I have seen since the eruption started is putting me off a bit.

Anyway I think it is a case of watching the tremor charts closely for a day or so to see if activity picks up a bit. It is still very low indeed but the signs are there that it could be going to do something soon, may just die right back again though.

Past eruptions seem to have rumbled on and off for a long time but no guarantee that will happen again. Fun to monitor though.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Thorolfsfelli cam finally cleared and Eyjafjalla is definitely spewing quite a bit of ash at the moment. Seems to be coming in regular spurts.

Very strange tremor activity also.

Posted

Size of plume higher today, http://eldgos.mila.i...-thorolfsfelli/

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

and strange tremor plots continue. http://hraun.vedur.i...todvaplott.html

but no new quakes since before 10:00 am Icelandic time yesterday..

Update from IMO in Icelandic only. Google translate as follows:-

IMO 21/05/2010

Restlessness - recorded at 05.06.2010. 01:25

From mid-day 4th June restlessness increased significantly in the seismic stations and the glacier was quite stable under at. 20 When he fell down. Shorter pulses turbulence occurred at. And 20:45 pm. 21:20. During this turmoil Hvid was spotted black or Dark Mocha.

No earthquakes follow these disturbances Hvid and recently have only been small, shallow earthquakes under the mountain. Likely loosening of the obstacles in the crater by increased gasstreymi and ash explosions.

Turmoil grew back at. 0:30 and is still the time of writing. Mini Mocha seen now, at. 01:25, Miles on webcam with Thorolfsfell.

Translate the translate if you can! :rolleyes:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Great report from the IMO, coldfingers. No wonder Icelandic is so difficult — the sentence construction is quite alien. Nevertheless, an interesting read, and yes it does look like tremors are on the up. Great view this morning. Plume definitely looks larger and higher than when I last saw it a few days ago. It looks pretty white at the moment, so maybe mostly steam. Can steam reach that high into the atmosphere and still be visible — I would have thought it would have all disappeared after a 100 feet or so?

The quake activity is very low, not just at Eyja but over the whole island and off shore.

Posted

well.....this is all getting rather more interesting now! i'll be hopping from this thread to the convective outlook thread today! lets hope we have a good clear day in iceland so we get a good view from the web cam and here's hoping i get a nice storm here over the weekend! good.gif

Posted

I am begining to think those strange tremors on Eyja are explsions from the crater, that would fit in with the higherplume today.

The tremors are now reaching the height of the later days of the erption so looking good for it starting up again.

Just checked tremor charts again and it looks like she could very well be kicking off right now, the trmors are rising fairly rapidly and the charts have had to be dramatically resized.

Wow! Look at those tremors go now, definitely not just explosions as they are not dropping quickly like before!

http://hraun.vedur.i...todvaplott.html

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

hey up looks like she's alive again. Look away a minute and this happens. Back to web cam watching.

Posted

lovely plume showing now on Thorolfsfelli cam. Tremor charts right down again though. No new quakes.

From the eruptions blog.

According to the news, ash plume was seen yesterday somewhere between 18:00 and 20:00 UTC.

Posted by: Jón Frímann | June 5, 2010 4:01 PM

This is the ash plume I mentioned seeing yesterday. glad I wasn't mistaken!

Plume looking really good on Mulakot cam too. http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

can't see anything on the cams the cloud is back. However it seems everything has quietened down again. Looks like she coughed a little that's all.

Posted

can't see anything on the cams the cloud is back. However it seems everything has quietened down again. Looks like she coughed a little that's all.

Gutted am I. ;) If she had burped up a little lava would have been nice. Instead seems to be just a rumbling belly causing belching.

Edited by coldfingers