Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Worth keeping an eye on.

I for one will be checking for a few weeks yet, maybe she isn't past the resuscitation stage yet. Actually I think she is just behaving herself and having a little sleep while folks jet away on their holidays. :rolleyes:

I will also be keeping half an eye on Katla, just think it is strange the way the tremors on the hvo chart rise independently of the others at times. However they are very tiny tremors indeed at the moment but still, another quake under Katla this morning, not that that signifies much at all yet.

OK, I am clutching at straws. :whistling:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Early this morning there was quite a pick up in the 0.5 - 1HZ tremors (declined since). Since the charts have different scale axis it is a bit difficult to pin point the source, but I found it interesting that hau and hvo the two stations furthest from the volcano showed a sharper change compared to other frequencies rather than those closer. It could be that these types of tremor have a general propensity to travel better, but to me this looks like activity spread over a greater area. I did see a report which suggested low frequency tremors are associated with magma or gas movement, from which you could surmise the recent calm may be due to magma flowing into new chambers. It will be interesting to see whether my theory is right and it picks up again, or the action is all over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm with BF on this one - I've got a strong feeling this thing hasn't finished popping it's clogs yet...volcanoes tend to go through a period of initial activity ('clearing the throat'), subside, and then go ballistic! I think the European governments in particular are praying that Katla doesn't go as well, which of course would be very inconvenient if it did (potentially deadly even for mainland Europeans)...but I have got a very strong feeling it won't be long before tremors are recorded in the Katla region...and if that coincides with this global recession...............

It's worrying times IMO - one which I believe is not being given as much attention as perhaps should be!

Posted

Theres been plenty of talk about Katla, but i haven't been able to find out just what a katla eruption would mean.

Would we see more flight problems, similar to those we saw last month, or would it be something more serious?

what effect would it have on us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

There havent been any tremors in the entire island since 10am local time, which is odd for Iceland... I wonder if the IMO has freezed up again (no pun intended laugh.gif ) none-the-less, since I have been watching the tremors page since the begining of Eyja's eruption, I have only noticed in the past week that Katla has been recording very weak tremors too, which yes, I know is pretty insignificant, but at the same time, deffo more activity recently from before. I will be watching the IMO page probably all summer to be honost, I dont reckon were done just quite yet. biggrin.gif

Posted

I find the biggest problem with the tremors now is that they have dropped so low that the charts have been resized. So i keep looking at it thinking, "Ooh, it's rising again", before realising the rise is very small indeed. There is definitely something stirring under Katla in my opinion but nothing more than someone sighing in their sleep at the moment. But, will that sigh wake the sleeper?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I find the biggest problem with the tremors now is that they have dropped so low that the charts have been resized. So i keep looking at it thinking, "Ooh, it's rising again", before realising the rise is very small indeed. There is definitely something stirring under Katla in my opinion but nothing more than someone sighing in their sleep at the moment. But, will that sigh wake the sleeper?

Best not im going on holiday soon and if she goes up then we could be seeing problems for a while. dry.gif

Posted

Best not im going on holiday soon and if she goes up then we could be seeing problems for a while. dry.gif

:pardon: No I agree, nothing bad can happen until I am back from my holiday on the 23rd June so she only has a month to behave. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mind you, if I was guaranteed my flight money back I wouldn't mind missing it so much if it was in a good cause like a volcano erupting. :doh:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Judging from what I've heard and read about Katla's history, if she went up flying home could well be the least of your problems...it is now thought Katla caused the widespread famine which start the French Civil War...what's the point? She's a history maker - had it quoted recently the last time she blew, the temperature in the Northern Hemisphere fell by between 4 and 5C...

I think the airline industry won't be the only one getting anxious should she stir much more!

Just did a little bit of reading up on Wikipedia - I didn't realise this is only the third time Eyjafjallajokul has erupted in the past 1000 years - the previous two times it erupted, a Katla eruption swiftly followed...

Edited by Harry

Posted

I presume these quiet periods often last a few weeks of so? I'm off on holiday Thursday, so I'm hoping they keep quiet!

Posted

I presume these quiet periods often last a few weeks of so? I'm off on holiday Thursday, so I'm hoping they keep quiet!

I am positive you will get away OK. But will you get back? :shok::)

Don't worry i am sure everything will be fine and I am not often sure of anything. I doubt she would suddenly erupt without warning. And even if she erupted tomorrow (which is the last thing in the world I would expect) the wind is in the wrong direction to cause a problem with flights.

Posted

That's true, well it looks like this is one less thing I need to worry about :)

Posted

A lot more small and shallow quakes on Eyjafjallajokul today and a total of 14 for the day on the map. Also and more interesting I reckon is the high rise in the tremor rate on both the esk and hvo charts. The rise on the hvo being most pronounced.

Back to watching with interst this evening I reckon. :whistling:

Hard to see on the Thorolfsfelli cam is the plume is doing anything of interest as there are loads of clouds just over the top of the mountain, however if there is a plume it isn't big.

On a different note, still very warm here in Bognor today with a max of 21C

Edit

Jon Frimann's helicorder is also showing something of interest at last. http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Very murky there at the moment, which is frustrating given the small increase in tremors...

While I was watching the cameras yesterday I could see two hotspots on the thermal cam, a third the way down the side of the volcano. Could have sworn I saw steam (?) rising out of the hotspots, but maybe it was just the clouds or dust on the camera lens.... :-/

Posted

Very murky there at the moment, which is frustrating given the small increase in tremors...

While I was watching the cameras yesterday I could see two hotspots on the thermal cam, a third the way down the side of the volcano. Could have sworn I saw steam (?) rising out of the hotspots, but maybe it was just the clouds or dust on the camera lens.... :-/

Looks slightly clearer on Thorolfsfelli cam, looks like a pssible steam plume still. tremors dropped very slightly but still showing plenty on the helicorder.

Posted

Glad I wasn't imagining things! It's not that I want the volcano (or it's neighbours) to wreak havoc again.... but I do miss the splendour and excitement of it all B))

Posted

. but I do miss the splendour and excitement of it all B))

I think you speak for most of us on that point. I just want to see some flames shooting up.

Perhaps when she is finally finished you may find the ruprions blog interesting as they put up lots of links to webcams on other volcanos and one is bound to blow soon. Etna seems to be on a watch at the moment.

http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/

This is a google translation of an Icelandic news report.

Occasional ash explosions in Eyjafjallajökull

Picture / Vilhelm

Low activity in Eyjafjallajökull today hardly have been the occasional ash explosions. The report from the service station for today's mesmegnis to let water vapor from the volcano and that is clearly visible around much gas Gigi. Eleven earthquakes have been recorded from midnight under the volcano, but scored eight earthquakes since yesterday.

Conditions on the glacier are similar to yesterday, estimated from air and webcam, but also a group of scientists on the glacier and they also saw little ash explosion in the crater. Bluish vapor seen clearly from the plane and one was a strong sulfur smell was already flown south of the volcano.

Not the best translation but clearly speaks of ash explosions.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Hotspots showing up on the thermal cam again and steaming occuring along the top part of the glacier. Wondering if the quakes today sent some more lava down or if it is just from rain and melt water. She definitely still had a steam plume earlier this evening too.

Posted

Thanks for the link coldfingers - that blog will keep me happy for a long time! :drunk:

Is that steam coming out of the vent at the moment? It looks quite dark in colour. I wish someone would wipe the camera lens!

Posted

Thanks for the link coldfingers - that blog will keep me happy for a long time! :drunk:

Is that steam coming out of the vent at the moment? It looks quite dark in colour. I wish someone would wipe the camera lens!

So frustrating to see it could be interesting but to have a dirty lens and not know for sure!! Grrr!

The tremor plots seem interesting to me as now they seem to no longer follow Eyja so closely but seem to want to be independant and do their own thing.

Posted

A beautifully clear day on the Thorolfsfelli cam, shme the lens isn't so clear. :D

Plenty of steam from the crater but only slight wisps from downhill. A couple more small Quakes right on target but nothing exciting happening at the moment.

Going out for the day, look for an EQ swarm now.:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hey everyone, just a quick one- I know I am being VERY premature, but I thought Id share this katla webcam i found! I have added it to my favourites to keep a check on her as well as my numberous checks on the IMO website for earthquake activity. here is the link:

http://www.123-cam.com/live-webcam.php?var=http://www.ruv.is/katla

ya never know!!!! lol!!!pardon.gif