Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

IMO update on activity 2:40 today. http://en.vedur.is/e...rticles/nr/1884

New staus report http://en.vedur.is/m...-07_IES_IMO.pdf

It appears they are keeping a close eye on this again. Fog or drifting ash spoiling the view yet again! :nonono:

Edit. Some lovely dust devils keep showing on Mulakot cam. http://www.mulakot.net/images/myndavelar/14flugv.jpg

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

katla has had several quakes in the last 48 hours

Could you please post the URL for the earthquake monitoring site you are accessing.

Posted

Could you please post the URL for the earthquake monitoring site you are accessing.

This is the most local,

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

but you can look in the resources thread for the volcano ( also a pinned thread)

where it has just about everything, webcams etc

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

Programme on tonight re Katla and Ejak plus a worrying report I believe on Russian volcanoes. Channel 5 8pm until 9pm, should be worth watching or recording.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Programme on tonight re Katla and Ejak plus a worrying report I believe on Russian volcanoes. Channel 5 8pm until 9pm, should be worth watching or recording.

Thanks Rollo, I just spotted this in the TV listings

and came here to give the 'heads up'.

I shall record it.

BL :)

Posted

Nice time-lapse video here of all the dustdevils on the Mulakot cam yesterday.

Looking at the Thorolfsfelli cam closely it appears the lava is again steaming lower down the glacier. Hard to be sure though because of the poor quality of the picture when zoomed in.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

omg cheers im all excited now i luv this stuff awsome cheers rollo

Posted

It's a shame that the volcano prog had to end on the ubiquitous climate change note. Is it no longer possible to make a programme without mentioning global warming?

Posted

It's a shame that the volcano prog had to end on the ubiquitous climate change note. Is it no longer possible to make a programme without mentioning global warming?

My family just got back last week from Iceland and brought back some awesome photos with them

I put them online but you need to click thru them

U may need some download to view.

http://www.floodwarn.co.uk/Island-Vulkan-2_files/frame.htm

If you like photos please let me know

In addition the main site has the cams for Katla etc and seismic charts to make it easy to find everything in one place

Posted

Rapid rise on tremor charts yet again. Don't yet know if it will be sustained and of course we must keep in mind that what looks a huge rise in only a blip in a full scale eruption. However, very interesting and worth watching for a while anyway.

Large plume showing on Hvolsvelli cam http://eldgos.mila.i...fra-hvolsvelli/

22:57pm Plume now showing up well on Mulakot cam. http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

Spikes on tremor charts dropping again.

23:12pm Bad news is, it looks like ash could be spreading again. :D Well bad news for me if it continues, I am flying Sunday.

Definitely looking like the eruption is back on again, even if it turns out to be for just a while.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

wow what an amazing plume on the hvolsvelli webcam! good.gif

thats impressive! going to check the tremor readings now

Posted

wow what an amazing plume on the hvolsvelli webcam! good.gif

thats impressive! going to check the tremor readings now

Yes fantastic isn't it. She is back, if not in all her glory, certainly displaying herself to advantage. No denying she is erupting again tonight. Thorolfsfelli cam showing a lot of action when it clears, even if it is only momentarily at times.

Mulakot looking magnificent tonight. I hope someone posts a timelapse video on You tube tomorrow.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

She keeps popping when I'm not looking. Nothing too see at the moment and tremor back down. Probably another throat clearing exercise.

Posted

She keeps popping when I'm not looking. Nothing too see at the moment and tremor back down. Probably another throat clearing exercise.

I think you are right there PIT as everything seems to have died down again, tremors are right back down, no quakes on Eyja itself for almost 24 hours, and early this morning (5:00am) she was just back to her usual gentle steaming.

It is strange though that the last couple of burps have been late at night. Coincidence I suppose.

Posted

Difficult to see what's coming out of Eyja right now because the cam needs another clean. However, there's quite a bit of dirty steam/ashy steam by the looks of it.

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Posted

Yes, looking interesting now that the esk chart is working again, I was pretty sure that must be rising at a similar rate to the others but it is nice to know for sure. I prefer to see a nice steady rise rather than spikes which seem to go away as quickly as they come.

What I also find interesting is that the tremor rise for hvo (close to Katla) is rising at a proportionally higher rate compared to during the last proper eruption of Eyja. I am not suggesting it is getting anywhere near to eruption but something seems to be stirring slightly there.

The views on the Mulakot cam look much nicer now that the dead brown grass of winter is turning to the fresh green of early summer and the top picture is a delight with what looks like wild lupins in the foreground. Makes up for seeing nothing of the volcano because of the weather! :rolleyes:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I did watch that documentary also on Channel 4. Was very interesting indeed and it does beggar belief if what does happen with Katla ("IF" being the provocative word!)

But something else I want to know.

How the heck did the narrator manage to say in pure perception several times the name of the volcano currently farting its lot? I couldn't even pronounce it, let alone spell it! cc_confused.gif

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

Looking at Thorolfsfelli cam just now it appears that all the heavy rain they had today has washed the lower part of Gigajokul free of ash. It now appears to be white again, unless of course it is a trick of the light.

Tremors seem to be starting to drop down now on all 5 tremor charts.

Posted

Hmmm. Three quakes on Katla in the space of 10 minutes! Now that is interesting. Worth keeping an eye on the IMO seismicity page today but I have to be out all day.

Posted

Hmmm. Three quakes on Katla in the space of 10 minutes! Now that is interesting. Worth keeping an eye on the IMO seismicity page today but I have to be out all day.

Although there's been no more in the past hour, those 3 quakes are quite striking because Iceland as a whole is seismically quiet today.

Edited by picog

Posted

Doesn't seem to be much happening on the camera, the first properly sunny day there in what seems like forever aswell.

Posted

Doesn't seem to be much happening on the camera, the first properly sunny day there in what seems like forever aswell.

If you get a chance check the Hvolsvelli cam now. Low plume but it looks like two vents one of steam and the other spewing ash.

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

Edited by coldfingers