Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

There is so much rain splattered ash on the Thorolfsfelli cam that is now next thing to useless to see what is happening. Oh how I miss the vodaphone cam with it's close up facility and clear picture. Since the thermal cam went in the normal one has been lousy to watch.

Grumpy old woman at work! :)

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Couple of quakes a couple of hours ago, one at Eyja, the other at Katla. Cloudy today, looks quite windy, so it may clear later.

There's a lot of quaking going on on the rest of the island too. Up to 2.5 ones. http://en.vedur.is/e...sm/earthquakes/

The area to the north of Iceland called the Tjornes fracture zone (shown on the link you posted) is extremely active right now. Apparently, there was a large quake (around 7.2 I think) on the North Atlantic ridge south of Iceland a day or so ago, quite unusual by all accounts. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out anymore about its "unusualness" or what the quake could indicate, if anything.

Posted

That is something well worth keeping an eye on and thanks for drawing my attention to it picog.

There were 31 quakes there yesterday and an absolutely massive 89 quakes so far today and it is still only 9:50am in Iceland.

I am wondering if we could see another Surtsey, that would be wonderful to view. However it will probably just erupt unnoticably under the sea.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Apparently, there was a large quake (around 7.2 I think) on the North Atlantic ridge south of Iceland a day or so ago, quite unusual by all accounts. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out anymore about its "unusualness" or what the quake could indicate, if anything.

Here's the URL for that quake, it was 6.3 and a looong way south. It's the only one on the NA Ridge this week

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

I think the above is probably just a rehash of earlier thoughts about Katla. For anyone worried about it the area doesn't seem to be having anything much more than normal activity under it at the moment. However from all that I have read about it Katla doesn't usually give much notice of eruption and when she does go it can cause catastrophic floods in areas around there. This is why the Icelandic government is keeping people on a fairly high alert there at the moment.

If the Tjornes fracture zone wasn't under water I think it would be causing a lot more interest at the moment, with 135 quakes in 48 hours, almost 100 of those happening today. That is a swarm and a half!! Below is the count for there with magnitudes.

Earthquake count:

• Magnitude less than 1: 22
  • Magnitude 1 to 2: 95
  • Magnitude 2 to 3: 18
  • Magnitude more than 3: 0
  • Total: 135

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Thorolfsfelli cam starting to clear, maybe we will get a glimpse of a steam plume? Tremors rising again after a very large drop.

Posted

As the volcano is refusing to come out and play lately i thought some would appreciate a repeat of this video from many years ago.

David Attenborourgh in Iceland.

Lovely video if you love volcanos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

i dont want it to erupt as it would ruin alot of peoples plans, im going to mexico on the first of july. Plus crops etc will die and are health would degrade from all the volcanic ash settled everywhere! id quite like to avoid that situation!

Posted

i dont want it to erupt as it would ruin alot of peoples plans, im going to mexico on the first of july. Plus crops etc will die and are health would degrade from all the volcanic ash settled everywhere! id quite like to avoid that situation!

Want or not none of us have a choice as to what this volcano is going to do one way or another. I think we should be pleased this is a relatively small eruption so far.

I for one don't think for a minute she is finished just yet. Looks like there is still lava flow down the slopes and she is steaming away quietly still with what appears to be occasional burst of ash mixed in the plume.

Two more quakes right on the eruption site.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Don't know about burning as I never saw it but it looks like a couple of dust devils at the moment as they are moving around.

Posted

Interesting graph here that shows the amount of eartquakes is still increasing after the both eruptions: http://hraun.vedur.i...ja_uppsafn.html

That really is interesting nightfire. The Hvolsvelli cam is showing a steady plume of steam still rising and it is showing up well as a heat signature on the thermal cam but the normal cam at Thorolfsfelli has a bad case of blackspot!

7:00pm Looks like lava flow showing on the Thorolfsfelli cam as the steam is slowing going down the mountain.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Actually I edited this text cause the graph shown is cumulative, so it has to be rising. I just was overenthousiastic. But the rest of the page shows some nice graphs as well.

Edited by nightfire800

Posted

All tremor charts around Eyjafjalljokull have been rising steadily now for 20 hours, seems likely something could happen there soon if this rise continues.

Such a shame that dreadful weather has closed in again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

hi everyone, Im working today so will have the computer on the IMO page fervently watching for anymore red dots as the day progresses!! Those charts are interesting indeed!! I wnder what the IMO will say about it or their observations about Eyja tomorrow when they do their update! The weather has been so boring over here, I need SOMETHING to go!! hahaha!!!

Posted

hi everyone, Im working today so will have the computer on the IMO page fervently watching for anymore red dots as the day progresses!! Those charts are interesting indeed!! I wnder what the IMO will say about it or their observations about Eyja tomorrow when they do their update! The weather has been so boring over here, I need SOMETHING to go!! hahaha!!!

Someone did mention on the Eruptions blog that it could be wind or ocean noise as there is a storm approaching. However it seems strange to me that all the charts would rise, even ones well away from the sea. Also on the esk chart, the one nearest Eyjafalla, the blue line is rising and that hasn't happened since the end of the active eruption.

Here's hoping, even though I fly in mid June and don't need ash disruption.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

ahhh yeah true, the blue line is the one that records tremors ( or really low hertz) that is coming usually from deep in the earth, so I would be inclined to think the belly of Gaia is definately stirring!! or at last has indigetion! hahaha!! The latest tremor is recorded about 10 km down and is 90%, so I wouldnt reckon that would be from outside interference, although I could be super wrong!!