Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

She's just farting...

I am embarrassed....for them. http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/8692993.stm

LOL!!!!!! rofl.gif

Posted

Sudden flurry of activity, and around Katla too

icelandvolcanoquakes.png

MAY 21, 2010, 6:32 A.M. ET

BA: Found No Ash in Engines

British Airways PLC has found no evidence of volcanic ash in its engines during recent weeks, Chief Executive Willie Walsh said.

Since European skies were reopened on April 20, following a six-day closure due to the eruption of an Icelandic volcano, BA has operated more than 20,000 flight segments and conducted more than 8,000 engine inspections, Mr. Walsh said.

"Not only have we not found any damage from ash, we have not found any ash," Mr. Walsh said in an interview. He said engines and their filters had been inspected by BA engineers and sent to laboratories for closer analysis.

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted

Sudden flurry of activity, and around Katla too

icelandvolcanoquakes.png

I don't believe it!!!! just got home after a day out and what happens? An earthquake swarm again! I don't often get a whole day out, (I am a carer who needs to be available) and the last time I was out the same thing happened, an EQ swarm. Perhaps I need to arrange to have more days off! Watch out for the 13th June when I go away for 10 days. Katla is bound to explode then. :rofl:You have been warned! :D

Being serious now, does anyone think this new EQ swarm means a renewal of more violent activity?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Nice timelapse from yesterday.

We are having a thunderstorm! :D

You are just so jammy! Thunderstorm indeed! It is supposed to be too cold up in Aberdeen at this time of year for thunderstorms. I should be the one having them. *Throws toys out of pram.*

That timelapse was extremely instructive to me about how the clouds arise from one spot to make it seem like steam is coming from a different area when it is actually cloud and not steam. Thanks for posting the link.

Posted

It's been really warm & humid up here today (22 degrees almost - amazing considering it was snowing 2 weeks ago) - I'd say we've been building up to it all week really - cooling down now with a bit of rain. The rumbles are really long - weird. I think the storm is a long way away but the flashes are bright.

Looking at the lightning thingy it is inland almost due west. there are some lightning thingies being recorded further south too (Southern Uplands).

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

It's been really warm & humid up here today (22 degrees almost - amazing considering it was snowing 2 weeks ago) - I'd say we've been building up to it all week really - cooling down now with a bit of rain. The rumbles are really long - weird. I think the storm is a long way away but the flashes are bright.

Looking at the lightning thingy it is inland almost due west. there are some lightning thingies being recorded further south too (Southern Uplands).

We had a maxof 22C today and 92% humidity at one time. That high humidity would be during the sea fog that keeps rolling in this week and causing the temps to plunge. We have had less than half inch of rain in 6 weeks now. I am getting sick to death of watering my garden. A good thunderstorm would be so very welcome.

Most of these quakes today are tiny aren't they.

Posted

Oo Oo, Aberdeenshire has an orange weather warning. So have parts of NE England.

Heavy thundery showers will affect parts of the region through into this evening with isolated torrential downpours expected, especially inland. Rainfall totals of 15mm within 3 hours will occur in places with isolated totals of 30mm during some thunderstorms.

Posted

Heavy thundery showers will affect parts of the region through into this evening with isolated torrential downpours expected, especially inland. Rainfall totals of 15mm within 3 hours will occur in places with isolated totals of 30mm during some thunderstorms.

SIGH!!! :unknw::) My garden is drier than the US during prohibition.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I want one of those bike/buggy things on the Mulakot cam. be great down the beach and I could cut up all the oldies on their disabled buggies round town. :unknw:

Posted

Recent post on Eruptions blog by Jon Frimann the chap who owns this helicorder. http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

To quote him:-

I am recording a lot of low period earthquakes on my geophone. All of them appears to come from Eyjafjallajökull. This is a bad news as it means that the current plumbing inside Eyjafjallajökull is increasing it pressure. It means that at current rate that there is going to be a explosion in Eyjafjallajökull at any time. How big is impossible to say. But this does not look good in my opinion.

Is he going to be right I wonder and if so how soon?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Recent post on Eruptions blog by Jon Frimann the chap who owns this helicorder. http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

To quote him:-

I am recording a lot of low period earthquakes on my geophone. All of them appears to come from Eyjafjallajökull. This is a bad news as it means that the current plumbing inside Eyjafjallajökull is increasing it pressure. It means that at current rate that there is going to be a explosion in Eyjafjallajökull at any time. How big is impossible to say. But this does not look good in my opinion.

Is he going to be right I wonder and if so how soon?

Well the tremor seems to have ceased at the moemtn so it looks like the present activity is going to have a rest for a few days.

Posted

Extract from that article, Richard Branson speaking, Quote:-

For "UK economy" read "Branson economy"! I haven't noticed that the closures have done damage to the economy, wasn't that already done by the recession?

This was also being pointed out as a main point for another runway at Heathrow not being needed. There was a big discussion point about the economic outlook without building and now we have all seen the effect of no aircraft and it is nowhere near what was being forecasted.

Posted

A whole busload of tourists now. ;-)

Yes...

I have been chuckling to myself, watching them on the thermal camera.... !!!!

I wonder if they can see anymore than we can? Looks pretty murky up there.

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/media/jar/Eyjafjallajokull_status_2010-05-22_IES_IMO.pdf

Latest report as she enters a quieter phase. Since there isn't any inflation going on this does indicate that the magma chamber isn't being re-filled at the moment.

Posted

Thorolfsefelli cam showing the plume now, if you can call it such a thing. it is so sad to see the eruption diminishing now. Can she recover from this wasting sickness i wonder. definitely a tonic needed. Still at least no ash worries for people flying I suppose.

Posted

She can do whatever she wants after Thursday, but please let the volcano be as quiet as it is until after I fly :)

Posted

Well a pause in the eruption whether it's the end or not who knows time will tell.

Posted

Well a pause in the eruption whether it's the end or not who knows time will tell.

If my ECG looked like that tremor graph they would have switched of the life support long ago!

Still no worries about my flight in a few weeks anyway.It can start erupting while I am away and I can then stay with my sister for a few more weeks. :D

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Eruption now dormant. All well fun while it lasted. Worth keeping an eye on.