Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

dogs32

Posted

Yep

It really is looking awful for the foreseeable, this weekend looks like anything that does form would go into Benelux once again, this could be the worst year ever and people are starting to despair on most forums I read. If we get through July without a Storm that could be the first time ever in my lifetime of 37 years that June and July has not delivered in some parts.

Only 9 1/2 months to go until we see some Kick ass Storms :) :ph34r:

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out here (being strictly non technical on most things weather) and draw a comparison with the slightly lower humidity levels I have been observing for the past couple of months. Yep, dew points and surface temps have been alright and at times CAPE and LI etc. have been conducive to thunderstorm development.

Now hopefully Nick or someone clever will tell me this is just a coincidence or is totally irrelevant or that the cold fronts and troughs have not been in the correct place and the right time?

Or perhaps we really have just been unlucky this year?

Posted

http://www.wimp.com/lovesrainbows/

Spare a thought for this dude - He left the Uk after not seeing Storms for 3 years and this is what happened when it actually started raining one day :) :ph34r:

Would love to see him and Pat Timmer chasing Storms together.

Paul S

Posted

http://www.wimp.com/lovesrainbows/

Spare a thought for this dude - He left the Uk after not seeing Storms for 3 years and this is what happened when it actually started raining one day :):rofl:

Would love to see him and Pat Timmer chasing Storms together.

Paul S

i am sure i was able to here pats voice especially the "WHOOOOO" and the "MAN" bits

Pete

Posted

that guys on drugs surely :rofl:

I know I get excited...but If I was like that I would have to be admitted :) :lol:

Im just laughing watching it.

whatever he is taking I will have some..lol

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Yep

It really is looking awful for the foreseeable, this weekend looks like anything that does form would go into Benelux once again, this could be the worst year ever and people are starting to despair on most forums I read. If we get through July without a Storm that could be the first time ever in my lifetime of 37 years that June and July has not delivered in some parts.

Only 9 1/2 months to go until we see some Kick ass Storms :):rofl:

I saw some awesome storms in june :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I saw a couple in Norwich on the 6th and 8th June, which were quite intense, but to have had only two thunder-days in Norwich by the 6th July is very unusual for a location that averages about 16 thunder-days per year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Yep

Only 9 1/2 months to go until we see some Kick ass Storms :):rofl:

Yeah, theres at least been a rumble since about 198?

Posted

Yes you did....on youtube! :)

No really we had some good storms here in june , Harry took some fantastic pics.. Homegrown though and not french imports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

No really we had some good storms here in june , Harry took some fantastic pics.. Homegrown though and not french imports

Cheers Neil! It was an impressive looking cell I have to say...regrettably (in the UK of course) I've had only FOUR thunder days, and I live in the SE!! This year so far has really taken the biscuit - if I hadn't been to the States, I don't know what sort of mess I'd be in, lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

can anyone remember when surrey last had a thunderstorm because i cant .. ah..just come to me , was last july it was actually a very active night storm but nothing since :cray::) im sure when we do get them again( thunderstorms) then there be spectacular im sure.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

What are storms? :) lol

Flash , bang , flash flash , bang , boom

Posted

can anyone remember when surrey last had a thunderstorm because i cant .. ah..just come to me , was last july it was actually a very active night storm but nothing since :cray::) im sure when we do get them again( thunderstorms) then there be spectacular im sure.

Honestly can't remember, this year has been absolutely shocking so far, i only hope when(if)we get something it will be impressive(and widespread).

Posted

It must surely be unusual for so many areas in the UK to have not having had so much as a rumble of thunder up to the first week of July? Very strange....not to mention frustrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This really is turning into the weirdest year ive ever known and very frustrating! However at least i dont feel like im the only one missing out this time. :search:

Posted

So much for three hot days and then a thunderstorm...should be revised for 2010 as three hot months and then a thunderstorm!

The lack of thundery activity this year is disappointing but we do have at least another six-eight weeks to go :search: I just take it the conditions have not been favourable. At the moment I would just like some rain! Maybe we'll get one awesome plume event in late July/early August...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So much for three hot days and then a thunderstorm...should be revised for 2010 as three hot months and then a thunderstorm!

More like three hot days and a scattering of light showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Cheers Neil! It was an impressive looking cell I have to say...regrettably (in the UK of course) I've had only FOUR thunder days, and I live in the SE!! This year so far has really taken the biscuit - if I hadn't been to the States, I don't know what sort of mess I'd be in, lol!

can anyone remember when surrey last had a thunderstorm because i cant .. ah..just come to me , was last july it was actually a very active night storm but nothing since :lol::lol: im sure when we do get them again( thunderstorms) then there be spectacular im sure.

Indeed. Though there is still a good few weeks until the end of the meteorological Summer, I don't think I can remember such a prolonged generally quiet period from late Spring and into the middle of Summer. Thunderstorm frequency across the West Midlands has taken a noticeable decline post 2006 - last year probably the most active since then, but the last good thunderstorm having occured in May 2007.

Can only hope there's a signficant change to the synoptic outlook that will favour widespread thunderstorm activity.

I posted in the NO STORMS CLUB earlier today. Just to say that at Guildford thunder has only been heard on ONE day (25th March) this year and without doubt this is the worst year for a lack of thunderstorms. From a historical perspective;

1990 was a very poor performer but there had been good thunderstorms in the preceding winter.

1976 produced 3 good storms in July although the preceding months were quiet due to the drought conditions.

1972 was a dry and cool unsettled summer but storms arrived after 19th July.

1959 was a long hot summer but some good storms in July and August between dry and hot periods.

1949 - No thunder data.

1933 - A hot and dry summer - but - a deluge of 131 mm in 5 hours at Fleet, Hampshire on Tuesday 26th September. There may be hope yet proving events can materialise in a 'barren year'.

1921 - An extremely dry year with a possible deficit in thunder like 2010.

The lack of thunder is especially frustrating with all this humid misery in the lead up to another 'let down'. I am begining to feel like I do in WINTER when we have endless SWlys and boring weeks of dross and no sign of snow. The only difference in summer is that the 'boring' weather can be pleasant and conducive to outdoor activities. This is fine if one is not stuck at work, having to slave away in humid and unrewarding conditions especially at weekends, when we always seem to get the hottest weather, and is far from enjoyable and annoying when it repeats. Focusing on other interests helps to quench the boredom but this is not easy when unable to do so such as when at work and having to suffer these horrid humid conditions head-on. Sorry to veer off topic slightly.

SW situations just never deliver the goods in this part of the UK - either mild and drizzly in winter or breezy and cloudy / humid and sticky and thunderless in summer. The summers of 2008, 2009 and 2010 have all had periods of SW type weather and have all been dreadful for thunder deficit. This year is at least producing nicer weather, except the days with high humidity, as anticyclones have had a greater influence than the other years. All we can hope for is a change of situation to one which can deliver and hope that if and when (and that's a big if and when) it does - that everyone gets favored at one time or another.

Posted

I remember last year we had an exceptionally early decent plume in mid-April from a southeasterly wind direction, and this brought widespread storms across England and Wales one night, moving up from the continent and lasting on their travels.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2009/brack/bracka20090415.gif

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

OK who's stolen sundays storms was looking forward to an exciting British F1 grand prix plenty of thunder an lightning torrential rain nothing like it, can't remember the last time a GB F1 was rained upon think the last one was the famous easter weekend event when the carparks became liquid mud pits trapping thousands of cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I remember last year we had an exceptionally early decent plume in mid-April from a southeasterly wind direction, and this brought widespread storms across England and Wales one night, moving up from the continent and lasting on their travels.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2009/brack/bracka20090415.gif

Oh yes I remember that plume very well - two consecutive nights of thunderstorms :wallbash: sitting outside in little more than a t-shirt and jumper (at night) is not something you can get away with often in April, certainly this year which was very cold!!

We've had a slightly better four thunder days (London/NW Kent area). We had a decent thunder event (about 6 flashes and VERY loud bangs, some +ve) in February, we had another rogue thunderclap late January, a plume of thunderstorms which wasn't the most exciting plume event ever, in early June again including some pretty awesome +ve bolts along with a rumble of thunder the next day (and the cell which exploded over C/E Kent). Otherwise it has been a complete let down this year!

I have a feeling that late July/August could be our months this year - in the last few years as opposed to much of the 90s and very early 00s, August has yielded relatively little in the way of big thunderstorms when historically it was one of our better months (certainly from my memories as a youngster)...here's hoping!!