IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

WOOOOOOOOOOo

Huge lightning fork right out the side of a distant anvil , don't see that very often! :( :(

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

well im in dover, and looking out to the south a storm is approaching. 5 strikes a minute c.g but no thunder yet.

Just as you said that looked out the window and saw lightning flashing out to sea.

Posted

Had a glancing blow from a thunderstorm a short while after posting my previous message. Torrential rain for five minutes too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

And another!!!!!

Go outside and watch it , look towards the south/south east coast

Posted

Great storm in Morley near Leeds at the moment!! Second one this Evening this is a belter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

And another!!!!!

Just been out for a cigarette - looked towards the S and SE and couldn't see anything! Usually can from here, especially if it's high up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Heavy rain and thunder just started again.

It is heavy!!! Knocked out Sky and is visible on the CCTV. Might be visible on the webcam too.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Seems to be some showers approaching me from the SW, nothing electrical from them atm though.

Does look like the best place for storms atm is towards the Pennines in West Yorks, uplift of the high ground there must be helping.

Posted

Been out on Eastbourne seafront - some nice lightning out to sea and interesting cloud formations in and around the cell (now heading up the Dover straight). I did see some similar looking clouds as seen in the Hythe 'supercell' from the outskirts of this cell and it appears that the upper part of the cell had part of its anvil cut / spread / split? There was some mammatus to its rear.

Anyway I missed the Hythe 'Supercell' earlier (busy) but did hear the thunder it produced - didn't seem that impressive of a storm, but wish I'd gone out just to look at the cloud formations. Luckily I witnessed that Hastings one in 2007 :(

Looks like Seaford and Brighton will get the next cell...

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Ooooh flash of lightning right above my house, not much rain to speak of though, light-moderate at best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

And another!!!!!

Couldn't quite see it from here :(

Like the look of the storm passing just to the west of York and heading this way. It'll probably fade before it reaches here but still worth watching for us around County Durham, Tyne and Wear etc.

Shouldn't have come down to Jarrow tonight, I've got no view at all so I might have to go for a walk to see anything if it reaches here.

Posted

Can't believe i didn't get any lightning or thunder here today! Went out with my friends and walked through the farmers fields towards walkern and the horizon to the south was black. This quickly was overhead and it poured down, and i got soaked (had a jumper on, no coat.) I didn't witness any lightning or hear any thunder but the base of the cell had a nice structure with quite a bit of scud. We turned back soaked to the skin and bumped into the farmer shok.gif He told us we weren't supposed to be on the land, (which we knew anyway) and made us turn back towards walkern instead of letting us walk 100 yards or so in the direction to get home. By the time we had got back towards walkern and dangerously walked along side the road towards stevenage another cell was overhead and this time the rain was torrentialgood.gif and still no lightning or thunder doh.gif The cloud scapes were excellent today but i'm really disappointed i didn't get an electrified storm.

Watched the 6 0'clock news and the weather man mentioned how the showers beefed up over the chilterns and become thunderstorms over luton which isn't far from me, but i didn't see or hear anything. So close, yet so far. wallbash.gif

Anyway, sorry about the ramble and the partly off topic story blush.gif

Liam.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

any storms on its way for the IOW area?

Hi,

Don't think so - although I only look at the basic radar, most of the activity seems to be either missing us or being non electrical and 'decaying' by the time we get even a hint of it. Not our time I feel...... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

i didnt think so its chucking it down now!!!

Strange that I'm only a stone's throw away but just got a few spots of rain.......

Posted

Just had a couple of insane storms rainfall wise... I promise I'm not making this up, the last 2 storms have dropped a massive 73mm in less than an hour. It got real windy (again) too. But the thing that struck me most (pardon the pun) that as the last of the two storms cleared the base, under the anvil there was the usual mamatus clouds but the base looked like what I can only discribe as a flying saucer, A big clean rippled ring of cloud round the base Is this normal :(

5 storms today, 1 of them distant :(

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Further Torrential showers this evening, although nothing electrical since 6PM. A very interesting thundery day here and there has been plenty of activity across much of the country.

Posted
:( all the storms are dying off..I was hoping a few had enough energy to go on through the night to watch some night storms :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Noooo storm again was exciting tho reading about others getting them. anything heading in? thought there b some moving up channel tonight. Nice towers round here reflecting white tops and clear inbetween..(ITN- WEATHER JUST SHOWED-THUNDERY FOR WALES TOMO MOVING NE

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

So many heavy showers and downpours and the one thunderstorm here today.

18mm since midnight. Still they keep coming, made quite a change after all the genarally dry months lately!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Impressive shower over w yorkshire, looks to be growing into a big storm