Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Thread

Coast

Posted

Torrential downpour here, garden flooded. Slowing down though as quick as it started :rofl:

Geri

Geting heavy again

Edited by geri2k

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is it just me or does Thurs night look quite good for storms. Just been browsing some of the charts on the various sites and remember that the Thompson Index can sometimes be a reliable tool for forecasting storms.

post-2719-093505700 1282078103_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is it just me or does Thurs night look quite good for storms. Just been browsing some of the charts on the various sites and remember that the Thompson Index can sometimes be a reliable tool for forecasting storms.

post-2719-093505700 1282078103_thumb.png

I would say thunderstorms probably not, torrential thundery rain does look like a possibility though I have to say. Tripple point on an active system appears to tear across the central swathe of the country which I would expect to be the focal point of any storm activity, which would tie in quite nicely with the Thompson Index.

I am secretly praying the HP system off to our SE helps push/stall the Low slightly further West as this should increase the chances for many of seeing some storm activity. The orientation at the moment provides for what I mention above in the immediate future, with little else in the way of individual, strong cells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Very very heavy rain here for about an hour!

not one lightning strike which was suprising as it was soo intense!

Posted

Had very very heavy rain for around 30 mins from 7:50pm, while I was watching St. Albans City play, pitch was flooding and so were the terraces! No thunder though. It has been raining since then.

Quite a good evening with unexpected heavy rain!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have issued a storm forecast for Wednesday: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Didn't expect there to be as much thunder as there turned out to be today across Midlands and Nern Home Counties, but summer weather does catch us out sometimes.

Posted

Agree with the forecast, Nick, regarding potential for severe convection - I too thought that dew points looked rather low for deep convection and would go against the potential for severe convective weather.

Yes, some speed and directional shear in place towards southern England, with a 100 knot jet streak moving east along the south, but the airmass looks to yield dew points reaching the low teens at best - and as a result cloud tops don't look to get too high in forecast skew-ts, so nothing severe seems likely. Though should be some decent convective skies tomorrow and much more widespread chance of catching a storm across England and Wales than today.

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Have issued a storm forecast for Wednesday: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Didn't expect there to be as much thunder as there turned out to be today across Midlands and Nern Home Counties, but summer weather does catch us out sometimes.

Since your expecting more thunder tomorrow than you did today I can look forward to a dry day here tomorrow as the weather more often than not does the opposite of the forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Since your expecting more thunder tomorrow than you did today I can look forward to a dry day here tomorrow as the weather more often than not does the opposite of the forecast.

You make a forecast then (:

If i read that Surrey is getting storms, i wouldnt expect one large storm the size of surrey,my patch might be dry and sunny. its not easy forecasting! all the storm days we never had, now they come at once!

cant wait, dont expect the wonder works as that makes you disapointed, just enjoy the reading and radar/sky watching, thats what i do anyway.

(:

Edited by Coast

Posted

You make a forecast then (:

If i read that Surrey is getting storms, i wouldnt expect one large storm the size of surrey,my patch might be dry and sunny. its not easy forecasting!

I would never attempt to make a forecast as I lack the knowledge and experience required to do so

I never said forecasting was easy , I was pointing out that for me when quite widespread showers / storms are forecast I tend to miss out and when they are expected to be isolated and many places staying dry they seem to hit me dead on

I also know like you said that even though my county (Warwickshire) may see showers / storms me locally might stay dry

I was just pointing out the Irony that as I got Thunder yesterday when it wasn't expected I probably won't today when It's more likely

Edited by Gordon

Posted

Yep, a surprise yesterday - but a welcome one for some!

*goes to look at today's evidence or a sign* :unsure:

So, I see Mr Sherman is off to the broads today - like a magnet straight to any potential action as usual!!! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Some very beefyshowers over in Ireland.

Posted

Surprisingly quiet in here today? People waiting for things to happen I guess.

Showers really getting going across W/S Wiltshire and S.Somerset and Dorset now, quite a downpour here in the last half hour.

They seem linked to more showers NNE from there so perhaps a trough - also a definite trough line out to the West.

Hopefully good sunshine in between to help developments for later as the main trough approaches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Surprisingly quiet in here today? People waiting for things to happen I guess.

Showers really getting going across W/S Wiltshire and S.Somerset and Dorset now, quite a downpour here in the last half hour.

They seem linked to more showers NNE from there so perhaps a trough - also a definite trough line out to the West.

Hopefully good sunshine in between to help developments for later as the main trough approaches.

yep, waiting with fingers crossed.....line of showers passed through here around 30 mins giving me a moderate shower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

I thought it was pretty quiet too considering

Showers have been reluctant to really get going but will almost certainly beef up through the afternoon. I can see the line out to my West at the mo, can just see a bit of a glaciation peaking out the top too, I think its the cell showing on radar at Hereford.

Any reports from underneath these showers? Are they very photogenic? Wondering if its worth going for a mosey with my camera..

Posted

I thought it was pretty quiet too considering

I think peeps are on holiday and any action is due towards the late afternoon/early evening if it happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

GFS has the right conditions for storms to develop around 3pm today. Here's hoping.:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Current structure of cell N of Brum, heading E

with more visible following on from the W

gallery_12214_725_158338.jpg

Edited by windypants

Posted

VERY heavy shower about to hit here.

You can see a wall of REALLY heavy rain falling from it.

No thunder though :drinks:

Posted

Really thundery looking around here. Gone very dark. Heavy ish rain..

No thunder :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just had about 5 minutes of heavy rain:) saved me watering my plants today lol. No thunder though! It's starting to brighten up now :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Really thundery looking around here. Gone very dark. Heavy ish rain..

No thunder :drinks:

ah well its got to be better than nothing

Posted

ah well its got to be better than nothing

Thats true..

Brightening up again .