Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Thread

Coast

Posted

Mmmm. Looks like an East / West invasion at the moment. Current conditions in Solihull, West Midlands are generally cloudy but with the Sun popping out now and then but the satellite pic for the South East looks very interesting. Heavy rain for you lot later maybe?

Could be an interesting day. :lol:

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Mmmm. Looks like an East / West invasion at the moment. Current conditions in Solihull, West Midlands are generally cloudy but with the Sun popping out now and then but the satellite pic for the South East looks very interesting. Heavy rain for you lot later maybe?

Could be an interesting day. :)

Phil.

Its Cirrostratus :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

I not putting my hope up right now my best day is next sat but long way off yet

The anticipation is half the fun! Talking long way off, GFS shows a plume next monday (23rd) Dreamcasting at that range I know but nice to see :p

Its even drawn a picture:

Rtavn1924.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

The anticipation is half the fun! Talking long way off, GFS shows a plume next monday (23rd) Dreamcasting at that range I know but nice to see :rofl:

Rtavn1924.png

This would be nice even though it is so far off but it would be nice to see the last bit of summer to go off with a BANG !! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The anticipation is half the fun! Talking long way off, GFS shows a plume next monday (23rd) Dreamcasting at that range I know but nice to see :p

Rtavn1924.png

What do the dots mean in that chart?

Posted

What do the dots mean in that chart?

It means, Backtrack that the darker the colours,/ dots the more intense the rain will be. :p

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Intense thunderstorm in the French Alps, 4 out of the last 5 have been stormy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It's seems to be passing away now, some pretty loud thunder echoing round the mountains and about 30 seconds of extremely strong winds, probably over 70mph. Could it have been a gust front?

Scrap that, very loud crack of thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It means, Backtrack that the darker the colours,/ dots the more intense the rain will be. :)

Phil.

Thanks Phil. Much appreciated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Any storms this week for the south? cant see data for a while and not seen the models for a few days, and no ones saying any risk until next wkend ,anything changed? Thanks.

Posted

Any storms this week for the south? cant see data for a while and not seen the models for a few days, and no ones saying any risk until next wkend ,anything changed? Thanks.

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

I think a slight chance for your part of the world today, Nimbilus. Otherwise we are looking at Wednesday night and moreover next Sunday, but too early to speculate on that at this time.

Phil.

Posted

I think a slight chance for your part of the world today, Nimbilus.

All a bit too far East today I fear, a Kent clipper for rain possibly and everything else is in the Low Countries

Posted

That's why I said 'Slight chance', Coast. Other than that then convective, which again, seems unlikely with a front coming in from the west.

Is it me or are the Low countries nicking our storms this Summer? Looking at the radar now, I envy them! :cold:

Phil.

Posted

Is it me or are the Low countries nicking our storms this Summer? Looking at the radar now, I envy them! :cold:

Well at least there is a period of possibility form the 21st to look forward to and see how it develops, maybe even tomorrow afternoon? :cold:

Rtavn4211.png

gfs_kili_eur54.png

Posted

I've pencilled in 18th and 22nd, given the surface pressure charts. :cold: But with it being Solihull... Probably not! dry.gif

Phil.

Posted

Never give up hope, Stuart. And besides, You lot in Scotland / borders will probably hog all the snow this coming Winter anyway. :cold:

Phil. (Starved of a proper storm since 1st May 2010!)

Think there might be a chance of some convective cells tomorrow afternoon along and ahead of waving cold front moving E across the country, as fairly moist airmass is lifted ahead of the front. Current GFS output is modelling modest instability across Midlands, EA and NE England with fairly average lapse rate, so potential for an isolated thunderstorm or two. Also, GFS models significant dry air in the mid-levels, which would enhance convective instability. Might also be a small period of CAPE and sufficient DL shear overlap around mid-late afternoon for cell organisation.

I see where you're coming from, Weather 09. But I think more for the east and south east if anything thundery does come about.

That said, I could be totally wrong and maybe I'll chalk up the number two proper storm. :cold:

Phil.

Posted

Think there might be a chance of some convective cells tomorrow afternoon along and ahead of waving cold front moving E across the country

It's certainly modelled, we've just got to hope that the odds are stacked for us - this summer has been more disappointing than England's performance in South Africa!!!

skew0.446957641820521.png

skew0.166426179305748.png

skew0.931953867738233.png

Interestingly, UKMO has the possibility starting towards the North and West at lunchtime:

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_72_12Z.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Tomorrow afternoon is looking good for my area according to todays storm risk on NW, but Met Office seems to think different. Also Saturday and Sunday has some potential but I'm sure it will change as the week goes on. But it's all looking good so far.:whistling: