Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Thread

Coast

Posted

I can still hear it but still a few miles away from here. Some good lightning but very little rain. I think i am the wrong side of town!!

Its the first storm for my location this year but i wouldn`t class it as a storm as not close enough to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I wonder if it keeps electrically active if we will see some lightning flickering in the clouds as it passes south. Its doing very well for past 9pm!

Posted

I wonder if it keeps electrically active if we will see some lightning flickering in the clouds as it passes south. Its doing very well for past 9pm!

It shows up well on met office radar, some places must be getting a right pasting, sadly its only the very edge over here, hardly even any rain but good lightning can be seen from distance, thunder is distant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It shows up well on met office radar, some places must be getting a right pasting, sadly its only the very edge over here, hardly even any rain but good lightning can be seen from distance, thunder is distant

How frequent is the lightning?

Cant imagine whats keeping this thing going still lol.

Posted

How frequent is the lightning?

Cant imagine whats keeping this thing going still lol.

Lightning has almost stop now from what i can see, rain got heavier but that is fading again now.

Someone got a good storm and indeed still is, the chap from near Rushden sounded like he was getting the brunt of it

From what i could see on met office radar it kind of merged with other littler ones and got a surge of life!

Posted

Lightning has almost stop now from what i can see, rain got heavier but that is fading again now.

Someone got a good storm and indeed still is, the chap from near Rushden sounded like he was getting the brunt of it

From what i could see on met office radar it kind of merged with other littler ones and got a surge of life!

ahh that is a shame. Was hoping to get some good lightning at night. Still got some very good heavy rain in it though!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

All gone quiet now :cc_confused:

I would not even class that as a storm as the closest it got was around 5 miles away. I guess i was just at the wrong end of town!!

Posted

Apparently the storm is still quite intense in Daventry. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

really strange cell just popped up in the cardiff bay.

looks quite strong.

Posted

Just got home from Northampton where we'd been to the cinema in Sixfields. We sat in the carpark outside Pizza Hut and watched the storm develop - pink fork lightening was fantastic and the rain intense. The storm has followed us south through Daventry and is currently rumbling around overhead. Very stormy violent sky with a whisp of a moon - kids thought it was terrific! Glad I'm not in Cropredy tonight at the Fairport Convention! They must be soaked.

Posted

Just got home from Northampton where we'd been to the cinema in Sixfields. We sat in the carpark outside Pizza Hut and watched the storm develop - pink fork lightening was fantastic and the rain intense. The storm has followed us south through Daventry and is currently rumbling around overhead. Very stormy violent sky with a whisp of a moon - kids thought it was terrific! Glad I'm not in Cropredy tonight at the Fairport Convention! They must be soaked.

I Take it the storm continues despite no more strikes on the detectors? :cc_confused:

Posted

Yep - just been to the front door and there was a big flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder so it doth continue. I'm off to bed now - goodnight eveyone! (oooh, more lightening - kids are up! long night ahead me thinks - pelting with rain now!!)

Posted

Yep - just been to the front door and there was a big flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder so it doth continue. I'm off to bed now - goodnight eveyone! (oooh, more lightening - kids are up! long night ahead me thinks - pelting with rain now!!)

Awesome. It will go to the south of here but if it clears up a bit, i must surely get some distant lightning due to it being dark. :cc_confused:

Posted

Very decent storm overall. Lasted a good 90 minutes before moving away from here, in which time there was plenty to see and hear and some good photo opportunities. Glad to hear it is still going in the west of the county.

Definitely one I will remember for some time. I doubt anything will come close to it in the near future.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

Looks like that storm might finally be starting to weaken. Amazing how it kept going yet nothing else did.

Posted

and i caught the beginnings of it. I took some pictures of it forming, and a 14 min video of it starting to rain, and passing overhead with thunder beginnings. although i wish i were further in its life span, the start of it was amazing also!

Posted

Very decent storm overall. Lasted a good 90 minutes before moving away from here, in which time there was plenty to see and hear and some good photo opportunities. Glad to hear it is still going in the west of the county.

Definitely one I will remember for some time. I doubt anything will come close to it in the near future.

Certainly the best storm overhead here for a couple of years. It did come from the St Ives area and spotted it on the radar as it manifest itself on the radar over Kimbolton and Grafham water 10 miles east of here but quite localised initially, I began to hear frequent rumbles of thunder about 6.45pm. Radar suggested it was coming directly this way, but it developed as it did so. So we had a good hour of frequent (2-4 strikes per minute at peak) activity, then I thought that was it with a 10 minute interlude, but it back built directly overhead - and thats when the strikes got really close. Real torrential downpours until about 8.45pm, when it eventually cleared westwards... however, most of it still occurred during daylight hours... more of a spectical with regards lightening if it after dark. Nice watching it as it headed off mind.

Posted

Still some activity just to my south of Solihull / Warwickshire. Can't see anything electrified though.

Interesting week. At least in the sense of thundery activity. First bit of thunder and (Spider) lightning for three months and 13 days. YAAAAYYY!! :cc_confused:(Scared my 9 year old Niece though when that first crack of thunder went off!)

I think next Wednesday afternoon / evening for more of the same, if the LRF is to be trusted.

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Aww man all i got was 2 hefty showers today! meh! my cousin who lives in northampton said he was loving it and his girlfriend was bricking it!

at that exact moment i was envious lol he doesnt get impressed with storms easily! :lol:

please storms head my way please i beg you :cray: only heard a couple of distant rumbles in mid july and 1 close ish one in march! gah!

i need to sacrafice something to mother nature! :good: anyone willing?

Posted

Wow am I the only person in Kent to hear just one rumble of thunder today? I feel priviledged :lol:

twas a poor effort though, having said that some lovely cloudscapes, including very scuddy bases to be seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

nice to read some had storms, its worth the wait for a proper one!

anyway saw nice clouds and had a couple of prolonged downpours and THUNDER yeah! few deep rumbles to day and one distance cracker of a bolt.

good chance next wk to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Certainly the best storm overhead here for a couple of years. It did come from the St Ives area and spotted it on the radar as it manifest itself on the radar over Kimbolton and Grafham water 10 miles east of here but quite localised initially, I began to hear frequent rumbles of thunder about 6.45pm. Radar suggested it was coming directly this way, but it developed as it did so. So we had a good hour of frequent (2-4 strikes per minute at peak) activity, then I thought that was it with a 10 minute interlude, but it back built directly overhead - and thats when the strikes got really close. Real torrential downpours until about 8.45pm, when it eventually cleared westwards... however, most of it still occurred during daylight hours... more of a spectical with regards lightening if it after dark. Nice watching it as it headed off mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed the storm we laid on for you! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Looks not verry active today :lol:, I wonder if any storms will pop up :cray:

Even the sky is boreing all i see is white, GRRRrrrr Cirrostratus :good:

Edited by Vortex_Liam

Posted

Never say never, Liam!

That said, I said never a storm today only yesterday... And there was spider lightning and a crack of thunder less than an hour later.

I think I'm going bi-polar. If you don't wish for it, it may well happen. :lol:

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Never say never, Liam!

That said, I said never a storm today only yesterday... And there was spider lightning and a crack of thunder less than an hour later.

I think I'm going bi-polar. If you don't wish for it, it may well happen. :lol:

Phil.

Lol, thanks you've given me a glimmer of hope, as we move into a area of high pressure it will get hotter but by late afternoon monday, we should be in lower pressure at 1016 instead of 1020 :good: