IGNORED

Storm General Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

Picture taken about an hour ago by a friend of mine from Milton Keynes

Looks like a monsoon, proper storm downpour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

24mm overnight here, the line of convection is a bit messy ATM, nice to get sun and showers though...

Posted

Sadly that 'squall line' passed over here and it was just about dying, but it certainly gave a qucik sharp amount of rain!

It looks like another smaller line has set up behind it, and it has just passed Oxford.

Posted

yes i was just having a look at the line of showers to the s.w. of the original feature, its heading my way, small chance of a rumble mixed in :cray: lol

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Picture taken about an hour ago by a friend of mine from Milton Keynes

Thats pretty incredible, rain totals i guess were well over 100mm per/hr. Bet it looked even worse for real as photographs tend to tone down actual rainfall.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

does anyone know if Glasgow and the surrounding areas will join in on the fun on Thursday or will it be just a miserably wet day currently I live in a flood risk area of south Lanarkshire

any info on Thursday will be of great help

Posted

just a moderate shower here as the line of showers in suffolk and west norfolk came through, turbulent loking cloud base though ,and gusty wind up to 27mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just drove through a weak thunderstorm to the east of stoke-on-trent on the way home from work...a few cc flashes, couldn't hear thunder though as I was driving!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just drove through a weak thunderstorm to the east of stoke-on-trent on the way home from work...a few cc flashes, couldn't hear thunder though as I was driving!

Yeah, typically a band of weather pushed through here, nothing remotely electrical, only to strengthen 15-20 miles up the road haha

Posted

Interesting shape and movement to that cell across East Anglia recently over the last hour or 2 looking at the Netweather radar? looks like a 'hook' shape forms and there even seemed to be some rotation motion? XC Weather also seems to show the winds veering behind it after it's passed playing the animation.. Not sure if its just a low centre though.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing of note here at all. 3 mm overnight light showers this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Passing showers over Birmingham gives us a pot of gold

http://forum.netweather.tv/galleryupload/1282143610/gallery_12214_725_124399.jpg

At least the conditions are right for some things :girl_devil:

Posted

Interesting shape and movement to that cell across East Anglia recently over the last hour or 2 looking at the Netweather radar? looks like a 'hook' shape forms and there even seemed to be some rotation motion? XC Weather also seems to show the winds veering behind it after it's passed playing the animation.. Not sure if its just a low centre though.

the low is already in the north sea so that could of been rotation!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

The wind really picked up here for a little while....gusts over 40mph - the highest all day.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Dad heard several rumbles of thunder in Coventry this afternoon.

They only had 16mm from the rain 'event' last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Nice pic! Think that might have been the same shower that passed just to my NE a short while ago - were some nice looking rain curtains.

Posted

What is your location cold fingers ?

Sorry camiscool, wasn't ignoring you but went to bed and just got back on here now. As far as I know I am still at Bognor as my profile shows. Does it not show up on your computer or did you just not think to check it?

Well we recorded a fairly hefty amoount of rain overnight, 50mm (or for anyone non-metric like me 2 inches) but I should think a fairly high proportion of that came down in the 50 minutes of absolutely torrential rain we had either side of midnight. After that it went to just steady rain unless moreheavy weather came when I was asleep.

Was woken at 1:30 when the neighbours daughter arrived home with her damaged car on the back of a transporter, seems she ran into the back of another car during the atrocious weather. That's youngsters for you.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Can anyone give me any reason as to why this weather turned out to have no thunder and lightning, at least none down here and very few seem to have reported anything more than an odd flash of lightning or one rumble of thunder? The rain was the torrential type associated with convective weather so why no thunder? Or even hail would have been nice. So far there has only been one very small thunderstorm down here this summer. Surely this summer is a bit unusual so what is happening? Or should I ask this in the learners area?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Last night's surface low and associated frontal system didn't bring any thunder and lightning because convection was shallow, given relatively stable moist SW'erly flow with very little instability. Uplift of moist air mass contributed to some heavy downpours with convective elements within in, but cloud heights didn't reach high enough for electrical activity.

Has been a few heavy showers and isolated weak storms today within post-frontal airmass - upper profile was much more conducive to lightning activity given colder and dry upper levels as trough moved east across the country, triggering the showers/storms.

Thank you very much indeed 'weather 09', nice to learn a little more about things.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

A few pulse storms around today, no thunder heard but pretty sure there would have been a few sferics/rumbles somewhere in NI today. Had a couple of torrential showers pass by and some nice structures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Well here in Norwich it was very warm with the sun out. Then the rain came. Was light and moderate for a time and then the torrential rain came down at about 5:20 and went on for a good 30 mins before the sun came out and it was nice again. Convection played a good part in it and the reminence of convection was seen after also. No lightning seen or thunder heard at all but the rain was so loud even moderate volume thunder would have been missed. Clouds were blanket looking so no way to notice any rotation :winky: