Storm General Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Thanks Nick F :whistling:

Posted

I recorded 18mm in my bucket (havent got a rain gauge) which is about what I was excpecting. If I had been about 10 miles West/North I probably would have had about double that.

On the accumulation I can see that some areas, CS England, Isle of Wight got around 50mm and considering there are 12 flood watches in force I think it was a pretty intense night for some - but certainly not all - which is what was forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Weather is not an exact science Neil, weather warnings are issued to cover a risk of severe weather occuring - not that it will happen in a particular spot. Some areas where it rained, in your words, 'wasn't really bad' could well have had very heavy rain with flooding but warnings aren't specific for one backyard either but a general area for the risk.

Indeed, we had flash flooding in NW Kent this morning, some significant accumulations of water in the roads etc.

Though evidently the SE corner didn't cop the worst of it.

Some further heavy/torrential downpours spilling across Wales at the moment.

Rather surprised to see England/Wales yet again under an Estofex Level 1 while Scotland/N Ireland gets nothing....either there's been some big shifts in the forecast for today, or Estofex are just plain wrong lol (only just got internet back since last night)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Further torrential showers pushing through at the moment. No thunder though

Posted

Rather surprised to see England/Wales yet again under an Estofex Level 1 while Scotland/N Ireland gets nothing....either there's been some big shifts in the forecast for today, or Estofex are just plain wrong lol (only just got internet back since last night)

Seeing as the forecaster is Dahl (who seems to have a habit of ignoring the UK on most storm days) I'd say it was the 2nd choice "they are just plain wrong"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Mine does seem to be on the low side, maybe the torrential rain I had Saturday damaged it.

Just checked the radar return for last night, and it does look as though I managed to dodge the heavy stuff, still expected to record more though.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

About 18mm overnight. As i expected tbh, the rain wasnt that bad and when i look at the rainfall radar, some of the heaviest rain in the Midlands actually fell here, not in the East! Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had 9.6mm last night and thismorning! looks like we missed the worst by far!! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

At the risk of actually sounding 'on-topic'..today looks an interesting day for convective potential.....already CAPE values are building over Ireland and west Wales, with steepening lapse rates. I think for the west midlands though, heavy showers as opposed to thunderstorms are more likely, my thinking being that the cloud cover will inhibit convection, areas further east might be the best bet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

At the risk of actually sounding 'on-topic'..today looks an interesting day for convective potential.....already CAPE values are building over Ireland and west Wales, with steepening lapse rates. I think for the west midlands though, heavy showers as opposed to thunderstorms are more likely, my thinking being that the cloud cover will inhibit convection, areas further east might be the best bet

I think the cloud cover could be the problem here too.

Conditions look quite good otherwise, we have some LL convergence too, but it's overcast and damp and not stormy looking at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

A nice heavy shower just passing over, no electrics though.

Posted

Finally getting some torrential thunderstorm like rain here in Kilmarnock which is bouncing back up off the ground. The only thing missing is thunder and lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Looks like a neat squall line is moving through SE Wales towards Gloucs/S.Midlands.

Hi Andy,

Yes, following it on the NW radar.Just had a heavy shower here. It would be nice to hear some Thunder. Time will tell. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Thumping its down here.

Quite windy, Very heavy. No thunder..

I wonder if anything will appear behind this squall line.

Posted

Showers which are very close to my area are intensifying bigtime.Could get interesting very soon.

As i type the rain is getting heavier and heavier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Clearing up here now,

That band seems to be getting stronger as it moved east.. Some impressive rainfalls now.