Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm General Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

If i'm correct the black line in the image below is around about where the heaviest precip was forecast. As you can see the bulk has gone a bit further South which I think the 18z NAE predicted. Also, heavy band has gone further North than predicted. Earlier, most of the rain was forecast to be South/East of Cardiff but it seems some has gone North/West.

post-9933-054051900 1282518246_thumb.png

Its coming down like crazy here on the hill in the North Of Cardiff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Must be a hole in the cloud above me, had some intense colours pass over me on radar and had window open in my room for last hour and can just hear fairly light to moderate rain....

Not even rain wants to come to crawley :)

*Edit - Bingo i think the reply button triggers heavy rain because as soon as i hit it it started chucking it down lol

Edited by MPfreeUK

Give it a chance though its only just started, I reckon Swansea will see an inch by dawn.

I made the same point pages back, nothing like 2007, 2-3 inches in some places, rather than 4-6 inches.

The forecast was for around 13mm, and even though it is drizzly steadily now, 10-15mm looks tops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

very heavy rains for the last hr, surrey sussex kent east anglia london get the boats ready and many other places of course.

Wind gets up in early hrs! thunderstorms could suddenly spark off! im excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

What is your location stormyking?

Im on the east coast of the Isle of wight mate :), Raining heavy again :lol:

Posted

Must be a hole in the cloud above me, had some intense colours pass over me on radar and had window open in my room for last hour and can just hear fairly light to moderate rain....

Not even rain wants to come to crawley :lol:

*Edit - Bingo i think the reply button triggers heavy rain because as soon as i hit it it started chucking it down lol

I was just going to say you have some Very heavy rain ideed heading your way unless it peters out before it reaches you but as it is extremely intense he I would be a lot of money that wont happen. But don't hold me to it. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Can't believe how much the rain across South Wales has intensified in the last hour.

Some minor problems here now with a large stream of water coming down the hill. Dont think it will cause any problems tho in the village at the bottom of the hill though. It has got heavier.

Guest FireStorm

Thing is though firestorm, and I'm not trying to be argumentative here, what percentage of posts on this thread are saying they think the forecasters have got it wrong, and there will be widespread thunderstorms?

imo Forecasting is dealing with probabilities, and if something isn't probable, but possible, its a lot of fun talking about how things are developing in respect to that -

No argumentative tone read in your post at all :) I Don't deny the fact that people should give their opinions based on their hopes and desires and if people wish to state their opinion that forecasters have got it wrong then so be it. That's the fun of an internet based weather forum, everything is open for topical debate based on personal opinions & there is nothing wrong with that in the slightest. I'm all for it and welcome any discussion because after all that is what we are all here for.

I could very easily get wrapped up in the idea of thunderstorms popping up left right and centre and as a thunderstorm fanatic would cherish the idea of it happening on a personal level - the realistic view just keeps me from being let down badly should it not occur. To take away the talk of the possibilities of anything in our lives - not just weather events but anything... would be to take away our hopes, dreams and ambitions in life which is why I do not disagree with you in the slightest either. :lol: Deep down I'm looking for sferics appearing still even though the probability is very low, but the cramp that comes with having my fingers crossed even for rumbles of thunder is worth it if it pays off lol

Posted

very heavy rains for the last hr, surrey sussex kent east anglia london get the boats ready and many other places of course.

Wind gets up in early hrs! thunderstorms could suddenly spark off! im excited.

Yep me too.

Posted

Can't believe how much the rain across South Wales has intensified in the last hour.

Just went back on the radar and your absolutely correct, its really intensified.

Watch out for rain shadow though, all of this could fall over the high ground around the Brecon Beacons, leaving drizzle for you.

Posted

The heavier band thats now almost across the middle of the country is just starting to affect me now. Its doing such a good job of moving north that I wonder where it will end up.

Posted

Feels almost tropical with all the moisture out there, although not as much as it did on Saturday. 23c with 80% humidity and near total cloud cover, felt very unusual to me.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Light rain here ! , want light rain go to east kent :)

Posted

My probably last informed post on here tonight.

I completely agree that the band seems to have split around the heaviest points on fintensification that were noted in all the warningsand the area is much more widespread.

The latest bbc forecast on N24 has all but given up on trying to work on 00:00 to 08:00. starting at 8Am.

Im still going for some high spot totals but I think the average will be much less. The odd and I mean odd embedded T-storm, but nothing to write home about.

In terms of disruption, I expect there to be flash flooding of areas, but to me this seems much more like a slightly worse than normal autumn frontal system as opposed to a really severe event which on several levels previously looked set to approach July 07 levels.

Depending on where people are there will both be upgrade and downgrade elements of tonight.

As I finish off the heavier stuff is heading up the M3...South downs and along towards Kent....though not sure Kent will see that much. Currently there is consistant rain, but low intensity of appx 2-5mm/hr.

EDIT

Forgot to mention the northern band to this...so apologies. I expect this to continue its more North movement as it seems to be diverging from the track of the southern stuff....but I have concentrated so much on the southern element to this that I forgot about the people to the North...sincere apologies. Dont forget the general trend (which at the moment is still well agreed) is a North-West movement. So people to the West Midlands that have yet to see rain should not expect too much from this system.

As I finish the edit it has intensified a wee bit..

Edited by john w

Posted

50 minutes now of seriously torrential rain and just slackening to very heavy rain now with plenty more to come over yet.

I am thankful really that I don't live beneath a hill. Downs are around 6 miles north of me. Wind is starting to rise now and has gone from F2 around an hour ago up to F6 currently. Looking like it will reach gale force after all. My apologies for doubting the METO

Edit. 12:40 now up to F7 and very gust indeed.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

If i'm correct the black line in the image below is around about where the heaviest precip was forecast. As you can see the bulk has gone a bit further South which I think the 18z NAE predicted. Also, heavy band has gone further North than predicted. Earlier, most of the rain was forecast to be South/East of Cardiff but it seems some has gone North/West.

post-9933-054051900 1282518246_thumb.png

Heavier rain just starting to the south of Brum as it moves across the country

Posted

The latest bbc forecast on N24 has all but given up on trying to work on 00:00 to 08:00. starting at 8Am.

That's because the forecast is pre-recorded and played again and again every 30 mins throughout the rest of the night.

Posted

That's because the forecast is pre-recorded and played again and again every 30 mins throughout the rest of the night.

Im surprised by this as it was very different to the 00:00 one...Different language etc, Unless they record several different versions?

Posted

Im surprised by this as it was very different to the 00:00 one...Different language etc, Unless they record several different versions?

00:00 is live - from 00:27 onwards it's a recorded one. They record two types - a 60 sec version, and a 2 min 30 sec version.

Edited by staplehurst