Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm General Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

Moderate rain here,expecting the heavier stuff later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hmmm, am I the only one who thinks the radar just looks like a normal low pressure system? Light, Moderate and Heavy bursts of rain, nothing special though.

agreed......'much ado about nothing', apart from numerous off topic & inane posts on this thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Thats strange according to the rain radar there is some covering over that part of Norfolk albeit light. Perhaps its echoing droplets in the clouds?:unknw:

Sorry mate must be a miniscule bit of anaprop - I can see it on the radar but at the mo I'm out in the garden and can see the stars, reckon the rain won't reach Norwich much before 11.00 and then on to here by 11.30 ish

Thanks Greenday, shame these things always happen at night before a working day acute.gif

It was really strange on Friday Morning working through a thunderstorm, with some really intense rainfall, Everyone kept looking out of the window.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Sorry mate must be a miniscule bit of anaprop - I can see it on the radar but at the mo I'm out in the garden and can see the stars, reckon the rain won't reach Norwich much before 11.00 and then on to here by 11.30 ish

Even the stars are tricking us! Ok I must admit I've had that happen before seeing the really light echo and nothing actually happen.

Posted

Been raining here for the last 30mins nothing to bad yet the worse is still in cornwall and west devon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Big numbers for 24 hours rainfall in the south and midlands

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/08/22/basis12/ukuk/rsum/10082312_2212.gif

Here's hoping for similar numbers after an extremely cold spell in the middle of winter, leading to it falling as snow :unknw:

Whoa!

Thanks for that! If that verifies then that suggests that rainfall figures will be lower than June 2007, but roughly the same ball park for the Lincs Wolds - 2007 we had accumulated 24 hour rainfall of around 80mm, that diagram does suggest that parts of eastern Lincs could see 60-70mm. That's close enough to be a little alarming. Still, lets see if that verifies, it certainly doesn't accord with the Met Office warnings.

Posted

I don't think this is going to be any more than a very wet and windy night for most places. The fact my location will get 20mm or so is quite remarkable given we barely had 20mm of rainfall throughout the entire months of April, June and July.

Posted

agreed......'much ado about nothing', apart from numerous off topic & inane posts on this thread!

Sad you think you wont get anything exciting. looks to be an interesting night down here. :unknw:

Well is this the calm before the storm F2 now?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Fairly heavy rain here now.

BIG drops, Still no breeze, Vertical rain.

Very odd, It feels like it should thunder, but evidently wont.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

The strongest winds won't arrive until overnight into tomorrow morning. The storm is currently to the SW measuring 1002mb. As this storm tracks NE and develops the pressure will drop to around 986mb. The strongest winds will be on the W flank of the LP and in my opinion the coasts of Lincs, Norfolk will experience the strongest winds.

Looks about right, TETIS - coincides with a 6m tide - force 8-9 northerlies could see that over 8 metres - not hugely risky, but pretty impressive for August. fortunately the wind, rain and tides seem to be choregraphed in such a way as to make tidal locking less likely, which may help alleviate any local flooding problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sad you think you wont get anything exciting. looks to be an interesting night down here. :unknw:

Its not so much I dont think I'll see anything CF, I'll get plenty of rain tonight, it's just that's all it is...a frontal system expected to give moderate to heavy rain for some, yet this being a convective thread, why the page after page of pointless posts of "It's light rain here" or "will it rain in xxxx?"....There are other threads for posting weather reports & current conditions.......This kind of situation always results in pages of utterly meaningless posts and often means that educated, well informed, & on-topic posts often get overlooked and lost in the mix....Just my observation... :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its not so much I dont think I'll see anything CF, I'll get plenty of rain tonight, it's just that's all it is...a frontal system expected to give moderate to heavy rain for some, yet this being a convective thread, why the page after page of pointless posts of "It's light rain here" or "will it rain in xxxx?"....There are other threads for posting weather reports & current conditions.......This kind of situation always results in pages of utterly meaningless posts and often means that educated, well informed, & on-topic posts often get overlooked and lost in the mix....Just my observation... :unknw:

I agree, while i appreciate some areas will see a fair bit of rain with some flooding possible and some strong winds, i think many have gone way over board expecting thunder lightning, severe gales, the lot. Some realism and reality is needed in here.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Still no major amount of rain here, just drizzle. Imagine if this was a snowfall event though.

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Guest FireStorm

Tornado watch from TORRO

SW England / Central S England / SE England / S Midlands / E Anglia Channel Is

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 60mph; hail 10-15mm diameter; CG lightning; heavy rain

Posted

It has obviously generated quite a lot of interest, and there has been and is some very heavy rain to come, as well as strong winds for a few places. Quite interesting to watch really and I enjoy reading the discussions, I guess there's no other thread to discuss this like this, and this new thread was actually made for tonight's developments. I have never expected big thunderstorms or severe gales but like many kinds of weather (including heavy rain) but think people should be able to discuss what they want about the weather freely.

Rain heavy at times continuing but no more very heavy spells yet. 12.8mm fallen and pretty much calm

Edited by StormMad26

Still no major amount of rain here, just drizzle. Imagine if this was a snowfall event though.

This doesn't look as if it amount to that much here it will be wet by morning, but we had more than this on Thursday and Friday last week.

In some ways this is similar to the snowfalls events in Feb 2009, when some parts of North Devon, had a foot of snow, but this would top that I think.

Posted

Tornado watch from TORRO

SW England / Central S England / SE England / S Midlands / E Anglia Channel Is

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 60mph; hail 10-15mm diameter; CG lightning; heavy rain

Now that's more like it!....some serious info to sink our teeth into

TORRO forecast link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Unfortunately saturation levels are lower in winter, so we wouldn't be seeing those sorts of bright echoes on the radar quite so easily.

I'm not sure why people are comparing this to 2007. Miles off the mark. The 2007 floods were caused by a stalling front, this system will move through in 6-9hours. We also have to remember that the ground was pretty saturated before that event aswell. I'm not saying some areas aren't going to see significant rainfall amounts. Over an inch of rain over 24hours in my part of the world is pretty rare, some years it doesn't even happen, however I can't see it causing big problems; just a very wet night.

Posted

Its not so much I dont think I'll see anything CF, I'll get plenty of rain tonight, it's just that's all it is...a frontal system expected to give moderate to heavy rain for some, yet this being a convective thread, why the page after page of pointless posts of "It's light rain here" or "will it rain in xxxx?"....There are other threads for posting weather reports & current conditions.......This kind of situation always results in pages of utterly meaningless posts and often means that educated, well informed, & on-topic posts often get overlooked and lost in the mix....Just my observation... :D

Thanks for clarifying that ajpoolshark.

I didn't realise this was supposed to be a convective discussion as any chance of that is surely miniscule and the heading is Storm General Discussion Thread. Is there another thread for discussing non-convective storms then? I would love to see some convection with this but failing that it is the first even slightly interesting weather here since April. probably why there are so many of what you class as pointless posts.by people starved of any real weather interests.

Blizzards said:-

I agree, while i appreciate some areas will see a fair bit of rain with some flooding possible and some strong winds, i think many have gone way over board expecting thunder lightning, severe gales, the lot. Some realism and reality is needed in here.

But the Met O have forecast gale F 9 for many coastal areas, surely it is not unreasonable to expect that that is likely to happen?

MET O gale warning.

Wight

Gale warnings - Issued: 0337 UTC Sun 22 Aug

Southwesterly gale force 8 expected later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1725 UTC Sun 22 Aug

WindVariable 4, becoming cyclonic, then southwest, 6 to gale 8, perhaps severe gale 9.Sea StateModerate or rough, occasionally very rough later.WeatherRain or thundery showers.VisibilityModerate or good, occasionally poor.

Even Torro is wary.

A conditional risk for an isolated strong tornado exists, should robust convection develop.

Edited by coldfingers