Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted

cryo_compare.jpg

Yes snowcover Siberia way looks healthy enough. Mind you 2007 was 'bad'

BFTP

Whats the difference between the grey and white patches in that image?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i think grey is a light covering of snow these could easily temporarily disappear or are the first fall of the season

Posted

Morning folks

Nice to see the white pixels appearing across parts of Europe now, especially the Alps, Pyrenees and Scotland!!! wonder what this mild spell will do to that fresh snow. The closest mountains to home in France, the Massif Central, also got its first snow fall this week, so all in all it looks like winter is coming closer and closer to the UK, lets hope it makes it all the way at some point soon :-)

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Morning folks

Nice to see the white pixels appearing across parts of Europe now, especially the Alps, Pyrenees and Scotland!!! wonder what this mild spell will do to that fresh snow. The closest mountains to home in France, the Massif Central, also got its first snow fall this week, so all in all it looks like winter is coming closer and closer to the UK, lets hope it makes it all the way at some point soon :-)

Cheers

FC

this hope your right.

glad to hear you had some of the fluffy white stuff i cant wait love it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

27thoct2010.gif

here's todays lovely pic for your musings :hi:

Brilliant gains in Canada!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

expect to see some big losses in western canada over the next week

Posted

Very nice to see the first SOUTHERN Sweden falls, can imagine that is quite rare for this time of the year. Good gains everywhere else and impressed with ice build-up so far.

I'm currently halfway through my fifth week working in Oslo. Lots of frost up to the middle of last week (-6 minimum on 19th October) and then the first snowfall of the season last Thursday night. This hung around until late last night (even though it was only a light dusting - a lot of it melted in the city in full sunlight although of course the sun is very low here at this time of year).

This morning when I left the hotel it was still raw, but raining. This evening it is positively mild and I suspect that all of the lying snow below a few thousand feet has now been torched...

Posted

The next week will prove quite a few decreases due to milder air over scandinavia, southern europe (i.e alps) Canada and some south eastern parts of Siberia. However gains are likely in Alaska, North Western Russia and China therefore it may offset.

Posted

28thoct2010.gif

very healthy now in canada.

I can't believe how much snow there is in the US compared with a couple of days ago! The area is just mindboggling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

cursnow_usa.gif?session-id=0e06521664caf9f2b81127709d4cc589

Even going into USA.

Posted

cursnow_usa.gif?session-id=0e06521664caf9f2b81127709d4cc589

Even going into USA.

tis looking good, they'll overtake russia at this rate, i'll dig out last year's picture. brb.

27thoctusa.gif

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Very impressive gains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i think its worth watching this space for our winter.

theres alot of panic going on in models and winter threads but thease snow amounts more so across usa are important.

remember last year novemeber mild wet windy then december it happened the snow gods let rip.

i gotta feeling this thread tells more of a story than just snow fall areas its looking very impressive thats without the arctic.

:drinks:

im happy to see this thread and happy to see such a healthy build up so early gonna be a cracking year for snow cover.:yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Is there any scientific evidence for snow cover amounts in the Northern Hemisphere (particularly Canada, USA, Scandinavia and Siberia) having any effect on the winter in the UK, even if indirectly?

Posted

Is there any scientific evidence for snow cover amounts in the Northern Hemisphere (particularly Canada, USA, Scandinavia and Siberia) having any effect on the winter in the UK, even if indirectly?

i'm sure our more learned forum members will give you the scientific details, but yes, snow cover does have an effect. it increases cold pooling and reflects solar energy. so more snow = more cold = more snow = more cold....... and so on. - in simple terms anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry
Posted

Satellite observations of historical autumn–winter snow cover are applied over Siberia as model boundary conditions for two snow-forced experiments, one using the highest observed autumn snow cover extent over Siberia (1976) and another using the lowest extent (1988). The ensemble-mean difference between the two snow-forced experiments is computed to evaluate the climatic response to Siberian snow conditions. Experiment results suggest that Siberian snow conditions exert a modulating influence on the predominant wintertime Northern Hemisphere (AO) mode. Furthermore, an atmospheric teleconnection pathway is identified, involving well-known wave–mean flow interaction processes throughout the troposphere and stratosphere. Anomalously high Siberian snow increases local upward stationary wave flux activity, weakens the stratospheric polar vortex, and causes upper-troposphere stationary waves to refract poleward. These related stationary wave and mean flow anomalies propagate down through the troposphere via a positive feedback, which results in a downward-propagating negative AO anomaly during the winter season from the stratosphere to the surface. This pathway provides a physical explanation for how regional land surface snow anomalies can influence winter climate on a hemispheric scale.

In this article you can read about the relation between snow and winter.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/1520-0442%282003%29016%3C3917%3AMNHWCR%3E2.0.CO%3B2

<br clear="all">

icon_post_report.gif

Posted

Its been amazing watching the ice forming over the past couple of weeks. I think we may be in for another harsh winter. I will make sure I dig out my new ice spikes for the bottom of my shoes. Did'nt get to use them last year as my employers did'nt give them out until April :wallbash:

Posted

Something that is a bit irrelevant but still. Whith more snowcover it reflects the suns rays yes. Well in order to offset global warming why dont we all paint our rooves white and make all public buildings white so that they reflect the suns light? Surly this will help.

Posted

Something that is a bit irrelevant but still. Whith more snowcover it reflects the suns rays yes. Well in order to offset global warming why dont we all paint our rooves white and make all public buildings white so that they reflect the suns light? Surly this will help.

Do you think we could get the government to do a whitewash in whitehall? :whistling: