Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted

After such a good start to the snow cover season in September and October, its disappointing to see it falling below average in November. Check out how warm CFS has it across most of Siberia this month;

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfs_fcst/images3/glbT2mMon.gif

But also note what happens in December and January. :cold:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

bit happier this morning as we have rather a few gains namely at out end of siberia and canada!!

8THNOV2010.gif

but as you can see by the anomoly map, we are a fair bit down on what we should be!

8thnov2010an.png

Very much looks like the coldest air is being bottled up with a stronger polar vortex not releasing it further south- a positive AO signature.

That certainly wasn't the case last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

For the time of year, sea ice extent is currently lowest on record, but not by much. We should be back up above 2009 by tomorrow though...

For the time of year, sea ice extent is currently lowest on record, but not by much. We should be back up above 2009 by tomorrow though...

It has already gone back above 2009, after yesterday put it the lowest for the first time since the 9th July.

To be honest at this time of year sea ice is so close to the mean as to make this not as relevant as in mid Summer. We are Currently 330,000ish below 2003-2009 figures and 1.1m below 1979-2007 averages.

Arctic Ice Autumn 2010.xls

Posted

It has already gone back above 2009, after yesterday put it the lowest for the first time since the 9th July.

To be honest at this time of year sea ice is so close to the mean as to make this not as relevant as in mid Summer. We are Currently 330,000ish below 2003-2009 figures and 1.1m below 1979-2007 averages.

Arctic Ice Autumn 2010.xls

Ah yes, I see IJIS has just updated. A good gain yesterday then!

I agree, the figures all seem to start bunching up around this time of year so that small changes can have large effects on positions compared to recent years.

Though saying that, reaching a new low for a particular day, whatever time of year still has some significance imo.

Ah yes, I see IJIS has just updated. A good gain yesterday then!

I agree, the figures all seem to start bunching up around this time of year so that small changes can have large effects on positions compared to recent years.

Though saying that, reaching a new low for a particular day, whatever time of year still has some significance imo.

Certainly over the next weeks, I would like to think we will move away from the low points, of 2005 which really struggled at this point.

Posted

Certainly over the next weeks, I would like to think we will move away from the low points, of 2005 which really struggled at this point.

Did you mean 2006? I think that did really badly during November, lost a lot of ice through Fram as far as I can remember. I think we can be fairly sure it won't get that bad this year.

Did you mean 2006? I think that did really badly during November, lost a lot of ice through Fram as far as I can remember. I think we can be fairly sure it won't get that bad this year.

That will teach me to label that header in the spreadsheet 2005-2006. Indeed it was 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

alot of snow falling over the scottish highlands now.... should c a few more pixels

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Could somebody post the chart or link please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It's galloping now, just look at scandi'!!

Aye that is starting to look a lot more healthy now and provided that snow can build further still without loss in between, it could bode well for us later on down the line.

Posted

Nice inroads southwards and westwards....also a good illustration of the effects of the gulf stream. With our lattitude we should be white by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

White speck re-appeared in Scotland too!

Aye, Cairngorm thinking of opening for snowsports this weekend. An early start to the season!

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg

CairnGorm Mountain Official ReportLast Update 16.31hrs on Thursday 11th Nov 2010

Drifts of snow are being dozed by the small KB piste machine at present. Things are looking better today. Subject to conditions being favourable a decision on snowsports at the weekend will be made tomorrow Friday 12th.

Certainly a good lot of snow starting to build there, even down to the base station:

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/webcam/basestation_large.jpg