Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted

Im totally fuming at that report! Bloody Telford having all the fun again!

Its our first since 15th April 2009 though which is quite a long period of time to go without a storm in Telford really, here's hoping we get thundersnow this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Im totally fuming at that report! Bloody Telford having all the fun again!

You're fuming? The bloody Kent stormshield has starved me yet again :lol:

Posted

I was up by Sainsburys in Cannock watching the storm rumble away and it looked like a good one with frequent lightning and booming thunder over you guys:good: . Then at about 7.50 things went quiet and all of a sudden one of the biggest bolts of lightning I have ever seen in my life came down over the Walsall / Willenhall area :lol: It was surreal and seemed to take all of the energy in the sky with it, the best way to describe it would be like a funnel of lightning concentrated into one bolt, it flashed about 4 or 5 times and looked absolutely huge even from the distance I was away :help: If that hit a house then I can only pray to god that no one died because it looked like it would have taken the foundations from the house!!! Could this have been some sort of discharge as there was nothing else after this ??????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

You can clearly see the convergence line in NE England on this GFS chart :lol:

post-9381-062096900 1285271156_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Reckon there will be anymore this evening? Would be nice! Fantastic storm though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

2 lightning strikes and 2 rumbles around 7:30pm. Nothing else, apart from heavy rain.

nothing here at all as far as I've seen and heard anyway. No rain at all as just been out with rubbish :lol:

Posted

just been football training and just north of us (grantham way) was the most impressive storm i have seen for years...constant lighting and rumbles and considerably better than all the storms i saw in jamaica last year. i rushed home to grab the camera but sadly the storm had moved on a fair bit by the time i got back so heres the best image i could get. i can't descrivbe how impressive this storm was!

post-4276-091842100 1285271477_thumb.jpg

Posted

I was up by Sainsburys in Cannock watching the storm rumble away and it looked like a good one with frequent lightning and booming thunder over you guys:good: . Then at about 7.50 things went quiet and all of a sudden one of the biggest bolts of lightning I have ever seen in my life came down over the Walsall / Willenhall area :shok: It was surreal and seemed to take all of the energy in the sky with it, the best way to describe it would be like a funnel of lightning concentrated into one bolt, it flashed about 4 or 5 times and looked absolutely huge even from the distance I was away :shok: If that hit a house then I can only pray to god that no one died because it looked like it would have taken the foundations from the house!!! Could this have been some sort of discharge as there was nothing else after this ??????

Im in Willenhall and saw that bolt, and then nothing after it, very strange! It was very close, id say half a mile from my house... shockingly loud thunder too.

Posted

Well today has certainly been an impressive day for storms around here! All over the local news about landslides and road closures, including the Central Motorway which is one of the main roads around here. Possibly the best storm since 2005, simply because of the amount of lightning strikes which were so close; many were followed by thunder less than 5 seconds afterwards. Probably won't be another like it until 2015 though!

The only disappointing thing was that there was only 5 minutes of medium-sized hail, the rest of the time it was just extreme rainfall. I recorded 29mm in an hour, and 34mm today :shok:

Yep, there was quite a bit of lightning in today's thundery shower we had and the thing that excited me was that it lasted quite a while and the rain was immense. I don't think it was quite the intensity of one thundery shower we had last year i think it was when we had a very heavy downpour and the we had some quite decent sized hail(certainly more hail than today) but with that shower, it did not last very long.

Oh well, all in all, an interesting afternoon. :shok:

Posted

Yep, there was quite a bit of lightning in today's thundery shower we had and the thing that excited me was that it lasted quite a while and the rain was immense. I don't think it was quite the intensity of one thundery shower we had last year i think it was when we had a very heavy downpour and the we had some quite decent sized hail(certainly more hail than today) but with that shower, it did not last very long.

Oh well, all in all, an interesting afternoon. :shok:

Thunderstorms will continue for these parts throughout the night I reckon. 850 lapse's MLCAPE and PWAT are all supportive GFS and NMM charts all showing the same thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Took this earlier:

Will upload more tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Well, even though the cell went directly over me, lightning frequency did die down considerably, but still had ultra bright flashes lightning and loud bangs of thunder over my house. But most certainly Wolverhampton got the worst of that storm - when lightning was occuring around every 3-5 seconds. The sky further north and east from there looked proper mean, and before it went completely dark there were some suspect cloud lowerings in the distance. I did record quite a bit of the storm while it was over Wolverhampton, but then the battery ran out as I was recording for a while earlier on. Totally didn't expect a storm like what has just occured.

Nocturnal cooling played a vital role in the storm's intensity, as cloud tops were cooled as temps lowered in the upper layers over still fairly warm lower layers, fuelling the storm and resulting in frequent IC and CC lightning.

Think I'll put this storm in my signature. :lazy:

So that must have explained all the frequent big lightning flashes I saw in the distance, despite the of edge cloud just about over me. Were sure loads of reds, greens, oranges and blue's around Northern parts of Birmingham as I monitored the radar and was thinking who ever was under that was really getting a spectacular show of thunder, lightning and torrential precipitation. To think the flashes of lightning viewed from here we big enough already, I can only imagine what it must have been like over you and others in Northern and Western areas of here. Bet you were obivously really, really thrilled when the cell passed over and knowing what the shower had in store for you. (lol) Hate it when you're about to film something such as a storm only to find the battery runs out on the thing; guess you were lucky, though, to record some at all.

While I'm at it, two still video images of flashes I filmed in the distance with lightning flashing through the gaps in the tree branches. (Though not the best of quality to be honest).

:lol:

Posted

Took this earlier:

Will upload more tomorrow!

That's really cool, dude, and a great view of the cloud and storm base. The flash of lightning inside the cloud caught me by surprise. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Thanks RS, the positioning of the lightning couldnt have been better tbh for filming! Today has completely made up for such a poor year otherwise. Will certainly remember this evening. Lightning in the dark was such an added bonus!

Posted

True. I think the darkening skies helped with the effect of the lightning, but it sure was amazing :lazy:

@weather09: Fair enough. Wolverhampton and Walsall did seem to be in the ultimate position of that storm. But wow, didn't realise it was that close that you would have almost missed it. You're very lucky then and for getting the best storm in recent years is certainly great news.

Shame about the recorded footage, though.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

ditto from one drowned rat returning from pub-see weather report in todays weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Had loads of thunderstorms throughout the day. Also had 0.50 inches of rain. :lazy:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Been quiet here since about 18:00 but rain has come on again due to cells moving down from the North. Interesting to note that there was no wind AT ALL around 19:00 with not even a leaf fluttering and we seemed to be in the centre of circulation - check out the radar loop on NetWeather Extra. In fact, if you have access to this, type in HU17 for the postcode zoom, run the loop for the last couple of hours and watch the storm complex to the NE of my location, over the Whitby area. It has been clearly rotating and everything else has been going around it.

This would seem to have been a good place to look for funnels, except it has been dark...

Great weather day, I wonder what tomorrow will bring: I shall be on the cliffs near Bridlington!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Play back the last hour you can see how the intense precipitation core seems to spin in a clockwise motion heading off on a slightly SE bearing. Upper winds are northerly to its north and SW to its south, so a strong convergence.

If it spins clockwise then its spinning cyclonically which apparently is very rare in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere weather systems commonly rotate cyclonically (clockwise) and in the northern hemisphere weather systems rotate anti-cyclonically (anti-clockwise). I had some old US tornado videos which I bought and in a section it talked about this. If it goes opposite to the norm its a very rare occurance. Anyone second me on that?

Been quiet here since about 18:00 but rain has come on again due to cells moving down from the North. Interesting to note that there was no wind AT ALL around 19:00 with not even a leaf fluttering and we seemed to be in the centre of circulation - check out the radar loop on NetWeather Extra. In fact, if you have access to this, type in HU17 for the postcode zoom, run the loop for the last couple of hours and watch the storm complex to the NE of my location, over the Whitby area. It has been clearly rotating and everything else has been going around it.

This would seem to have been a good place to look for funnels, except it has been dark...

Great weather day, I wonder what tomorrow will bring: I shall be on the cliffs near Bridlington!

Looks like that is the centre of the whole weather system passing over the UK. Like the eye of the storm so to speak. Just happens to be something happening right in the middle of it all :lazy: