Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the chances of any significant snow on friday will be restricted to significantly north of our area with the milder air coming in before the significant precipitation....rain... for us.

I think we will possibly see the usual from this.....the "safe" forecast of more widespread snow covering our area which, when it doesn't materialise, will not result in any kind of outcry.

Better for them to disappoint snow lovers with a forecast of disruption that doesn't materialise rather than have the media jump all over them when disruption is caused by snow which wasn't forecast.

That's why I think it's always good to take the warnings that are issued in such circumstances with a good pinch of salt....not that I expect the salt to be required :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

That's why I think it's always good to take the warnings that are issued in such circumstances with a good pinch of salt....not that I expect the salt to be required :D

:doh: Oh well, I ordered some today just in case ...

post-10773-0-23294000-1294184527_thumb.j

... too late to cancel it's already left the depot :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all

Heart radio was going on about a band of heavy snow crossing the region from midnight thursday and into Friday....so do we think this is going to be a non event then? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

LBC blabbing on about heavy snowfall on Friday, cant see anything on here about it??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Just seen the BBC Look East forcast, no snow at all mentioned, just rain.

Edited by MKsnowangel
No more weather presenter bashing please !

Posted

Just seen the BBC Look East forcast, no snow at all mentioned, just rain.

I have to say I didn't see the lunchtime forecast but the early morning look east with Alex was spot on so far for today and forecast the occluded front for Friday bringing sleet and snow to our region, the mild air behind turning it quickly to rain by Friday night and temperatures of 8-9 on Saturday - bbc.co.uk has us down for light snow on Friday !

Posted

Interesting week so far here... Light snow over night Sunday into Monday morning giving a dusting and today, the rain has been rather sleety surprisingly. Especially in the heavier PPN.

Edited by saint

Posted

The problem at the moment is that the region is on the Eastern side of the front, where the milder air will mix out the colder uppers quicker than the Northern and Western side of the front, where the more colder uppers air, thus slowing down the transition from snow-rain. If we want any snow to last longer, we want the Low that is tracking up Northwards to be positioned further East,

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW42-7.GIF?05-18

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax48s.gif

NAE: http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/01/05/basis12/ukuk/prty/11010712_0512.gif

A few more changes to come I suspect, but whether in favour or not is the question.

Posted

Just to illustrate how the temperatures are changing at themoment this afternoon I went ot Dereham and at around 6pm it was so warm that there were people in the streets with bare arms, then I came back over here and at about 9pm went outside and it was so cold I was shivering with my coat on.

Posted

NAE 18z better for the region than the NAE 12z for Friday morning:

http://expert.weathe...010706_0518.gif

Remember this is (hopefully) going to be a snow-rain event because the front is pushing milder uppers up on its Southern and Eastern flank which is going to mix out the cold air.... of course the longer we can stay on the Northern and Western flank, the better.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

NAE 18z better for the region than the NAE 12z for Friday morning:

http://expert.weathe...010706_0518.gif

Remember this is (hopefully) going to be a snow-rain event because the front is pushing milder uppers up on its Southern and Eastern flank which is going to mix out the cold air.... of course the longer we can stay on the Northern and Western flank, the better.

Very interesting at the moment BEN,be interesting to see what happens. Brief mild spell coming,then the fun begins.good.gif

Posted

Very interesting at the moment BEN,be interesting to see what happens. Brief mild spell coming,then the fun begins.good.gif

Yes, still more changes to come for Friday over the course of tomorrow IMO. The chart after the one I posted shows the milder air mixing air, turning all PPN into rain all bar the far NW of the region. Possibly a covering for quite a few areas if the latest NAE came off, but of course it would be washed away by rainfall post snowfall! :nonono:

Posted

Snowfall for 12 hrs ending Fri 07 Jan at 0am GMT

post-10773-0-88763000-1294326399_thumb.j

http://www.snow-fore...maps/dynamic/uk

Sleety rain here in colchester, reports of snow further south.

Just noticed on the L&SE thread reports of sleet and wet snow from NE London, Chigwell, Brentwood, and Basildon !

Posted

Just went outside and there is now a cold wind blowing, still dry.

Hi jj,

It's dry and chilly here - with a max temp. of 3.3 °C at lunchtime, but the breeze has picked up so it feels colder now !

It's still worth keeping an eye on the lamposts tonight I think :unsure:

I see the warnings have moved further north for any snow problems, but agree MKsnowangel it worth watching the lampost for two reasons.

Firstly it could be the last snow for a while and secondly the council may introduce their cost cutting saving policy by switching it off very soon :D

Chris

Edited by Chris Mantle

Posted

Hi jj,

It's dry and chilly here - with a max temp. of 3.3 °C at lunchtime, but the breeze has picked up so it feels colder now !

It's still worth keeping an eye on the lamposts tonight I think :unsure:

Hi!

I will watch the lamppost tonight but I'm still not convinced, especially by the different things being forecast eg lots of snow, no snow.And especially as it has been so dry today as well, it seems there is no rain or anything else about.

I really want to get one of those weather forecast machines and be able to see what temperature it is.I know it has got colder here but can't say what temperature it is now, ior what it was before.

I think i might have messed up this quote! lol!

Posted

JennyJane

I think you have quoted yourself so I won't quote you again :smiliz19:

Happy lampost watching.

Chris

She quoted me - but I can't edit the post or I will be replying to myself (lol) - no worries jj - I've had one of those days too...... in fact I just sealed up a payment envelope and then found the cheque still on my desk :doh:

Still 3 °C here but DP and WC have dropped - I'm going out this evening so I'll have to make sure I sit by a window !!

Posted

Wouldnt wait up guys! Won't reach the area until around 6am! Saw sleet in north London on my travels earlier so I think we will see some snow. Whether it will last long or settle much is up for debate. NW of the region is best placed near to Northants. Could be some wintry showers Sun, then zonal muck for around 7 days before things get interesting again!

Posted

bbc showed our region just seeing rain tommorow, so is this almost certainly going to bejust rain tommorow then??

Edited by Snow_Lover123

Posted

bbc showed our region just seeing rain tommorow, so is this almost certainly going to bejust rain tommorow then??

In a word .....YES !!

IMO parts of this region should get some sleet and snow in the very early hours of the morning (4-5am possibly) but it will quickly turn to rain during the day on Friday !

MKsa