Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England & Channel Islands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 16

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I was clearing away dead and damaged plants today at work although we had so many I needed a skip to to remove them and filled it twice over! Some other plants that may still die yet but need a few more weeks to see if they will come through. Some of them include hypericum's, pitosporums, deuzia, hibiscus and many more, some of which are very hardy but prolonged frozen periods kill evergreen plants like choisia ternata's especially because they dry out in windy condidions as plant cannot take up water from the frozen compost.:unsure:

I just looked at local forecast and looks like im going to enjoy working outside for a while now.... 15 days is a row with rain every day. :help::bad:

:whistling: thanks for that :yahoo: now i know

Posted

I am not feeling the love in the room people. This is the Southwest thread, the thread that all others wish to emulate but never can due to our regular love--ins and good humour.

C'mon people sort it out! I don't like bad *atmospheres, it gives me tummy ache.

Who actually cares if it snows, rains, gets icy, hits high temps...it's the weather, an act of God etc, nowt we can do about it and no chart in the world is going to foresee exactly what the end of this month will bring. :D

*hands back mod stick to the real mods*

*tenuous link to the actual weather

Rob Mcelwee's last forecast? This cannot be true. He is without doubt my favourite weatherman of all time, he has a giggle and doesn't take it all too seriously. Oh gosh! :fool::cray:

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

whatever happens from now till the end of the yr , i for 1 have to say from nov till new yr was the best winter weather i can remember since i was a kid snow frost and nearly 4 weeks of below freezing , lets look forwards to summer knowing the next winter will be even better as im sure it will :drinks:

Posted

Latest from GP in his update of his winter LRF so far

"Moving forward, I'm very happy with our call for a much more average January temperature wise and increasingly the prospects for average or milder February."

Should cheer a few people up on here - NOT!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Utterly horrid weather here, damp, grey and windy and pretty mild. I really just cant stand this weather and the next week looks just as bad and so do the charts untill way into jan :(.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Utterly pants day weather wise here. :angry: Wet windy and I feel cold for first time in ages because i am wet even though it is mild. :cray:

Don't like the sound of GP's comments. :wallbash:

La Nina moves on with pace just like I feared back in november. :wallbash:

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

It's a tad wet here too... by tad I mean very. The wind is rather gusty too, can imagine its pretty pants out on a boat at the mo.

Still 4 months...

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jane Louise, January 10, 2011 - off topic at the end of post as usual.Mullender you've already been warned a few times.call us what you like but me and dogs have a job to do ok!! We seen your last posts! I guess you better watch yourself!
Hidden by Jane Louise, January 10, 2011 - off topic at the end of post as usual.Mullender you've already been warned a few times.call us what you like but me and dogs have a job to do ok!! We seen your last posts! I guess you better watch yourself!

Just pinched icebergs comments from MO thread....

"The models are consistantly (in the more reliable timeframe) taking the PV further south in the midatlantic, this makes it more and more certain that some cold and potentially snowy, cyclonic weather will effect us as we enter the begining of next week, there is also an increasing N/S tilt in the western atlantic which is the reason for the PV to shift further and further south of SE Iceland. With a Low pressure to cut across and pull the air in and around it as it crosses us the chance of a signficant snow storm for Scotland and northern england deepens.... "

That is the week I am skiing!! :diablo: :blink:

Would be sods law haha.

P.s. matt I am going to Austria, there is more life in austria and more beer. :yahoo:

Edited by mullender83
Posted

Pretty awful here too now!... Was quite nice earlier, but heavy rain has just set in... Great!

Looking forward to the gym and sauna later!

Still lots of indecision in the Model Output Thread, but hints from several of the more experienced posters that things could start cooling down again from the 17th onwards...

Nothing spectacular showing yet, but we're still a week away from the end of this milder spell, so not throwing in the towel just yet!...

Don't forget, these models can (and do!) change their minds on a regular basis!... We may be staring down the "cold barrel" again by this time next week...

Or we might still be in the mild/wet/windy muck we have today... No way of knowing until later on this week I would say...

Fingers crossed that the cold (colder) trend keeps showing for next week...

Did you say you're off skiing on the 15th Mullender?... Could coincide nicely with our next "cold spell"!!! :clap:

Posted

Mullinder this as to be your last warning...Or I will be asking for you to go on 25 posts a day...

any sly comments of you or Matt about purples will not only be deleted but copied and posted on to a RED where you will be put on 25 posts a day or banned for a length of time

no more to be said!!

Edited by dogs32

Posted

The fact is we had a great month of cold (record breaking once in a 30 year month), had we had a mild December and the cold spell had just been starting now until mid Feb I think people would be delighted and soon forget about a mild December. If it remains mild or less cold/snowy till the end of Feb then I think people will be disappointed, you expect the best winter weather in Jan/Feb but us coldies can hardly think we've been hard done by if we don't see any more snow this winter. Though seems a bit early to write the obituaries yet!

Posted

Dare I say that I like rain? :D As long as it isn't too windy with it.

I love being cosy and warm inside, hearing the rain against the windows, it's such a snug feeling (especially as my house doesn't leak now, like it used to! :lol: )

Posted

Utterly pants day weather wise here. :angry: Wet windy and I feel cold for first time in ages because i am wet even though it is mild. :cray:

When did it start raining with you then Mullender?

I was in Bristol until 13.00 and it was dry and quite bright - very fast moving, moody clouds with the strong wind. And then I went to Bath until

15.00 which had similar conditions and the rain didn't start at home in Warminster until after 16.00!

Granted it is very wet and windy now, but most of the day was fine and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Horrid out there, mild doesn't bother me but hate wind and rain, would rather high pressure over us, even if it meant mild temps during the day.

Posted

21mm of rain since midnight ... the bulk of that since 2pm today. Miserable doesn't sum up the weather today.

Posted

NMM shows signs of another batch of heavy rain again this evening following behind the one just gone through so my guess is that the metoffice might upgrade the warnings until midnight.

Posted

NMM shows signs of another batch of heavy rain again this evening following behind the one just gone through so my guess is that the metoffice might upgrade the warnings until midnight.

The radar is showing quite a large area of PPN heading into the far SW at the moment. Although possibly not as intense.

Posted

The radar is showing quite a large area of PPN heading into the far SW at the moment. Although possibly not as intense.

NMM shows some very intense rain over you around 9pm but we will see if that happens?

The rain just went through here followed by strong winds.

Posted

NMM shows some very intense rain over you around 9pm but we will see if that happens?

The rain just went through here followed by strong winds.

I'll let you know. The drains are already struggling, so could be interesting :)

Posted

When did it start raining with you then Mullender?

I was in Bristol until 13.00 and it was dry and quite bright - very fast moving, moody clouds with the strong wind. And then I went to Bath until

15.00 which had similar conditions and the rain didn't start at home in Warminster until after 16.00!

Granted it is very wet and windy now, but most of the day was fine and dry.

Must have been around 2ish because I remember thinking oh dear here it comes when i finished lunch. :huh:

Looking good for a possible cold shot of weather maybe while im away on holiday! :80: (going to Austria) :drinks:

Matt just like me am sure flooding is the least of your concerns unless one hell of alot of rain falls. :w00t:

Posted

Must have been around 2ish because I remember thinking oh dear here it comes when i finished lunch. :huh:

Looking good for a possible cold shot of weather maybe while im away on holiday! :80: (going to Austria) :drinks:

Matt just like me am sure flooding is the least of your concerns unless one hell of alot of rain falls. :w00t:

Haha, yeah that would be quite a significant rainfall! The river is about 500feet below here. :lol:

Austria looking good for skiing tho, so you should have a good time!

Posted

More heavy rain on the way for Devon and Cornwall shortly local flooding possible i would of thought.

Edited by TomWlx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Met Office have been sending out tweets all afternoon regards heavy rain and strong winds for Devon and Cornwall