Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3rd Annual Stormchase BBQ 2011

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi Tom,

You can call me Lewis! I have 2 tents so will bring both just incase anyone needs one. Anybody in or near my neck of the woods want to car share? Will save on petrol (or diesel)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Sadly, not looking likely for me to attend either :cray:

If anyone can make it, I strongly recommend going as they are great events (I attended the 1st and 2nd BBQs) - not least Tom's cracking flow of comedy!

I'm sure it is a great event for those involved and who know each other.

As for newbies, this always looked like a closed shop as any previous comment i've made on suggested dates and locations were completely ignored.

Shame really.

Posted

As for newbies, this always looked like a closed shop as any previous comment i've made on suggested dates and locations were completely ignored.

Shame really.

Think that's a bit harsh mate in my opinion. I am a 'newbie' and am making the effort to attend. Just because you don't know people what's to stop you going? Fair enough if the trip is too far/money blah blah but I will not know anyone there and am going to (hopefully!) make a few new friends before going out on the chase in 2012. Obviously the majority of the group are friends already so why should they make an exception for one or two people on dates and location? I'm sure they want as many of the previous groups as possible to be able to attend. It is not a 'closed shop' - far from it.

I think Tom has put a lot of hard work and his own time into preparing this so I think we should be thanking him for his efforts and not slating it.

Edited by lewisosd

Posted

Shame really.

Well I must say your post is very negative. I have not been on any storm chases and did not know anyone at the first BBQ at Pauls. I went anyway because the storm chasing interested me and everyine made me very welcome. I went to last years one too so this is by no means a closed shop I urge anybody who can go even on the spur of the moment to do so.

Everybody there are so friendly and we all have our love of storms in common. I am only not going due to my personal situation otherwise i would be grabbing Harry and hot footing it up there lol (sorry Harry you might not want to be grabbed)

Jimbo36 you and your better half will be welcomed with open arms if you go and especially so if you bring BBQ meat and beer as well.

Hope that has cleared things up and Tom great work sorry i can't be there have a fantastic time.

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well I must say your post is very negative. I have not been on any storm chases and did not know anyone at the first BBQ at Pauls. I went anyway because the storm chasing interested me and everyine made me very welcome. I went to last years one too so this is by no means a closed shop I urge anybody who can go even on the spur of the moment to do so.

Everybody there are so friendly and we all have our love of storms in common. I am only not going due to my personal situation otherwise i would be grabbing Harry and hot footing it up there lol (sorry Harry you might not want to be grabbed)

Jimbo36 you and your better half will be welcomed with open arms if you go and especially so if you bring BBQ meat and beer as well.

Hope that has cleared things up and Tom great work sorry i can't be there have a fantastic time.

:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

JIMBO

I do not take things personally and I am an open door but

post-2466-0-98420700-1310505799_thumb.jp

watch out I know where you live 8)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

seriously there are people coming up from London and I am sure that they are looking to car share. All you need is a cloth cap, a ferret and some pigeons.

You could consider the trip to be part of your Duke of Edinburgh's award

ps Nick, Ian C will be in touch with you about car sharing.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

For what its worth, this is anything but a closed shop, for a new guest this is an excellent chance to meet up with people that have been there and done it, I personally credit Paul S's meet up bbq as the reason I went in 2010,as I was quite nervous about it all and you are made to feel most welcome. Regret that I can't attend this one, 2009 and 2010 were great events and I would recommed it to any storm enthusiast, booked up on a tour or not, you'll have a good laugh and the enthusiasm is infectious :drinks: have a great time everyone

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Shame really.

I'd like to echo the comments of others, we've had plenty of newbies turn up at these meet-ups and not just the summer bbqs, it is a fun event even if you haven't been chasing before or know each other. We all have something in common and that's talking about the weather - which is always a good start to break the ice with a stranger!

Granted it is a long haul, by UK standards, up to the Lakes from the southeast, but if we share a car journey and split the cost of fuel it shouldn't be expensive, plus we're camping too which brings the cost down.

I have room for 3 others max in my car if anyone wants a lift.

Posted

For the record

post-2466-0-61242700-1310759856_thumb.jp

I have been out and purchased a new BBQ for next week big enough to cook all the food we need.

John has booked his flight into Manchester

So Nick what is the best guess for the weather next week end

I will post a map of the location

Posted

JIMBO

All you need is a cloth cap, a ferret and some pigeons.

Tom

would be careful OON is unlikely to attend but its quite possible he reads your comments which might cause him to visit-not a happy thought!

ferrets and cloth cap-OON - shudder

Posted

Being Lancashire born an bred let me tell you that I am proud of my cloth cap etc

John you can tell me is it going to be nice next week end for the BBQ

OON ?

Tom

Posted

thank you Johnny H

what time do you arrive in Manchester

tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Arrive in Manchester bright and early at 8:30

Prob get the 9:30 train to Oxenholme

Quick question about train tickets over with you guys. Is there much of a saving booking them online or is it worth the hassle?

Posted

A good question John

Just buy your ticket a the station, I do. I must admit I have never bought train tickets on line. The price I looked at on line was around £38.80ish return

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

JIMBO

I do not take things personally and I am an open door but

post-2466-0-98420700-1310505799_thumb.jp

watch out I know where you live 8)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

seriously there are people coming up from London and I am sure that they are looking to car share. All you need is a cloth cap, a ferret and some pigeons.

You could consider the trip to be part of your Duke of Edinburgh's award

ps Nick, Ian C will be in touch with you about car sharing.

Tom

Sorry Tom and to others who have responded to my moaning, guess i was over reacting due to lack of response to my original questions on the BBQ.

Thanks to the offers of lifts as well, would love to go but have agreed to some overtime at work now.

Hope you all have a great time and the weather is kind to you all.

Jimbo

Can i please ask you all to ensure political correctness when discussing the weather at the BBQ.

You can no longer refer to the current weather as the Typical British Summer.

It now has to be referred to as the Typical Muslim Summer........

Occassionally Sunni........ but mostly Shi'ite :yahoo:

Posted

lol Jim! :rofl:

Myself and the young lady will be attending, can you save a corner on that lovely BBQ for some vegetarian gubbins please Tom :bad::drunk:

Posted

Sorry Tom and to others who have responded to my moaning, guess i was over reacting due to lack of response to my original questions on the BBQ.

Thanks to the offers of lifts as well, would love to go but have agreed to some overtime at work now.

Hope you all have a great time and the weather is kind to you all.

Jimbo

Can i please ask you all to ensure political correctness when discussing the weather at the BBQ.

You can no longer refer to the current weather as the Typical British Summer.

It now has to be referred to as the Typical Muslim Summer........

Occassionally Sunni........ but mostly Shi'ite :yahoo:

Hi Jimbo

Unfortunately it was quite difficult to arrange vie the forum because I was flat out at work. I grabbed a date that seemed to fit with the bulk of the people and of course me because my week ends were also getting filled up. So too the venues, once upom a time you could say lets go camping in the lakes jump in the car and go. Not these days or maybe if you are a couple or small family but not groups. Log cabins are now sat on what was prime camping land.

I would suggest now that a date and location is set for next years pre-chase night out and chaser BBQ.

I am happy to head south and will look forward to meeting up with you.

As for the typical british summer . I am only glad it isnt on today.

Tom

Posted

Myself and the young lady will be attending, can you save a corner on that lovely BBQ for some vegetarian gubbins please Tom :bad::drunk:

Hi Arron

That will not be a problem . I was planning on having a vegetarian selection.

Tom

Posted

Are we ok with cheese Arron?

Tom

Posted

Can we bring a selection of meats Tom? Take it you want us to contribute?

Looking forward to next weekend :drinks:

Posted

Can we bring a selection of meats Tom? Take it you want us to contribute?

Looking forward to next weekend :drinks:

Well yes Lewis by all means the more the merrier. I will bring as much I think will be needed but any thing you bring will not be wasted.

Tom

Cheese if fine Tom :D

Ok i am experimenting tonight with mashed tatty, cheese , onions and sweet chillie sauce rolled in bread crupmps and heated on the bbq.

any veggies that Laura hates? i.e. i hate celery yuk

Tom

Well the early weather prog for the BBQ is keep your fingers crossed. If the high pressure which is going to start building towards the latter part of the week can strenthen we could be lucky.

I might go up on Friday night and set up a tent and a gazzebo with some wind breaks. The farmers wife says that we will be the only people on the field.

What time are people going to arrive , best guess will do.

Tom

Posted

Train times

john there is a direct train at 10am which will get you into Oxenholme at 11.28.

the next two trains after that you have change at Preston and then the next direct train will get you here around 1.30pm

Tom

If any one is coming that I have not mentioned just shout.

Tom