Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A quick hi all! Well it certainly has been a funny old week here. Mornings consisted of cloud and haar with afternoons a bit sunnier at times with a chilly wind. Green with envy re the southeastern temps, but hey-ho that's usually what happens isn't it!

Today has been thoroughly miserable with grey skies and intermittent rain. Just been catching up reading the model thread (first time in ages) but it looks as if WE could be in a better situation come later next week for a change!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

A quick hi all! Well it certainly has been a funny old week here. Mornings consisted of cloud and haar with afternoons a bit sunnier at times with a chilly wind. Green with envy re the southeastern temps, but hey-ho that's usually what happens isn't it!

Yep, that sounds like the week here too.......except for the jealousy of those folk in the southeast. A few of my pals have been trying to rub my nose in their 26C but I just remind them to enjoy the glorious sunshine from the safety of their homes, looking out their windows at their ozone sulphur dioxide and carbon monoxide. ;-) It may have been distinctly hazy and humid here but I'll take fog over smog any day!

Once the cold front passed over today, you could see it in an enormous line out over the Forth and East Lothian......and then SUNSHINE! Proper clear sunshine at that, with Tinto visible from here for the first time in about ten days. The day ended beautifully :)

Posted

Yep, that sounds like the week here too.......except for the jealousy of those folk in the southeast. A few of my pals have been trying to rub my nose in their 26C but I just remind them to enjoy the glorious sunshine from the safety of their homes, looking out their windows at their ozone sulphur dioxide and carbon monoxide. ;-) It may have been distinctly hazy and humid here but I'll take fog over smog any day!

Love it!!!

When I complain about the cooler weather in the summer, my daughters say its my own fault for moving home!!

I remind myself of the pleasure we have of having real winters up here in Scotland ................they don't see snow on the south coast! Plus the added disadvantage of not being able to sleep during the summer in such oppressive heat.:p

12C and breezy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

14.4 C here and rising - sunny, although I see that occluded front moving slowly in from the west bringing cloud and some showers. Forecast to disintegrate though so the E/SE of kiltland should fair better.

http://www.netweathe.../fax/PPVA89.png

http://www.netweathe.../fax/PPVE89.png

Medium to longer term outlook suggests HP continuing to dominate with some quite warm days very possible.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

19.1 C here. Sun splitting the heavens although some hazy cloud visible to the west

. Busy building a nice, cool, dark storage box for the winters in the corner of the shed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a difference a day makes! Beautiful morning with unbroken sunshine and lovely and warm with no wind. Clouding over a bit now tho' but definitely been one of the better days this week. Splashed out on a bar for the gazebo (well you got to get some pleasure from life) I just hope the evenings warm up enough to be able to use it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cracking early morning but cloudy with occasional spots by 11. Stayed pleasant enough to be outside though, odd bits of DIY that are best done when it's not blazing.

Off darn sarf ( <_<) soon, more's the pity. Got an invite to some posh do :drunk: :drunk: in London :bomb: so taking the opportunity of travel at tax-payers' expense :clap: to do some sightseeing :blink: .

Yeah. Well. Perhaps, perhaps not :rofl: I'll just keep on paying off the mortgage instead.

Weather data alert... I may be behind the pack here, but I just found this part of the MO website:

UK mapped climate averages

Finally at least a partial update to the 1952 Climatological Atlas, too, which I'd missed:

The MET Office Book of the British Weather, published last year by David & Charles. Just ordered a copy and can let folk know how comprehensive and useful it is - my guess is it'll be a pale imitation of the old Atlas.

Edited by Hairy Celt

What a difference a day makes! Beautiful morning with unbroken sunshine and lovely and warm with no wind. Clouding over a bit now tho' but definitely been one of the better days this week. Splashed out on a bar for the gazebo (well you got to get some pleasure from life) I just hope the evenings warm up enough to be able to use it!

Reverse happened here, yesterday ended up not bad with some warm sunshine, today was a wee bit cool. We put the heating on tonight to keep our wee tootsies warm!!

The temp got down to 2C locally last night...I didn't believe BoyCatch1 when he said the car looked a frosty this morning but you just never know if he was right.

BoyCatch2 unwittingly confirmed his Scottish credentials earlier when he was talking about the local hills and said "I like the wee bit hills...", no mention of glens though :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The temp got down to 2C locally last night...I didn't believe BoyCatch1 when he said the car looked a frosty this morning but you just never know if he was right.

Yep - dropped to 2 C here too last night.

Woke up to fair sized crack in my windscreen. Discovered a wee chip at the end of it out of view on the black edge of the screen under the wiper. My guess is it happened a while back, but the sudden rise from 2 C to 20 C today was too fast (with the chip on the black area it would warm up a lot quicker than the screen as whole) and...crack....

Posted

Sunny day after a cloudy start (the opposite of yesterday of course). But how cold will it get tonight? Not frosty here I shouldn't think but not far inland it'll be brass monkeys...

(NMM says min 2.4C at 6am here - I'd be surprised to see less than 6C :whistling: )

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

HC yesterday was indeed drench, but bearable. Spent the day at Brodie Castle looking for some furry thing with eggs!!! Then today was lovely warm sunshine whilst getting in my first 18 of the season, only to jar 3 fingers as I turned down 12 at -2. very difficult to play with 1.5 hands.Nice evening now we have arrived home.

Posted

Back to reality this morning with 2c at 6.00am . All the trees and plants are way ahead of themselves in terms of growth. Horse chestnut in garden has its candles of flowers about to open 6 weeks early? Grumpy old farmer says we will pay for this as natures tries to find a balence.Will not be tempted to sow turnips yet as had sobering leeson many years ago straight out of college I sowed them at the end of April and as they emerged in early May they suffered a sharp air frost leading them to going to seed(bolting) in their first year with no bulbs produced.Turnips /swedes are biennial plants normally setting seed after their first winter so early sowing can give them the winter experience in early May. My date for sowing is the 20th of May and I am sticking to this especially now some cooler charts are showing up in FI!!!

Posted

What a cracking day......,,,, sunny and warm. Very nice indeed. Here's hoping it continues but as you say NL it can still turn cold and we can get caught out if we plant too early, tempting as it may be.

ps HC........ I saw an Osprey fishing in Cromarty Firth today near Storehouse! A lovely surpirse.

Posted

What a cracking day......,,,, sunny and warm. Very nice indeed. Here's hoping it continues but as you say NL it can still turn cold and we can get caught out if we plant too early, tempting as it may be.

ps HC........ I saw an Osprey fishing in Cromarty Firth today near Storehouse! A lovely surpirse.

Excellent - I wonder if it was the same one I saw...

Got down to 3.9C here last night so I glanced uncomfortably at my hat then remembered I was still full of breakfast.

Wonderfully sunny all day and little enough wind that the relatively low temp (12C or so) didn't matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar here with sunshine and a max of 13.9c. Down to 3c last night with an air frost not that far away inland in Angus and Perthshire. Some cloud and breeze about now but clear enough to get cold again later I think as the wind drops.

Posted

Temps dropping dramatically ...........now down to 5C and no doubt will drop further..............brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Posted

Temps dropping dramatically ...........now down to 5C and no doubt will drop further..............brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Still 8.3C here and steady - littoral effect again. Another side of the snow / sleet divide.

Posted

Morning all. Back from a long weekend in Kenmore. Saw an Osprey fishing there too - it caught a big trout by the looks, though just missed it catch it, just saw the before and after but that was spectacular enough!

Weather here been nice as it is everywhere else it seems. Colder yesterday and today but still very nice in the sun and shorts and t shirt weather as long as no wind!!

In the suburbs on my way in to work there were people scraping ice of their cars.

Posted

Another nice, sunny day here. Heating now on minimal as the dark stone/slate of the house warming it up nicely in the sun. Will probably turn it off completely next week.

I see this is the symbol for London on Friday w29.gif. That's so unfair for.....

me. I'd love a good thunderstorm up here.:whistling:

Posted

Another cracking day, albeit not as warm as recently. Took chance to treat fence, deck etc so get chance to chill in garden tomorrow befor weekend away in Dunoon. Temp currently 9c from a max of 19c

Posted

Made it to 19c here today after an early start of 2c and a grass frost in any shaded areas.Unbroken sunshine and blue skies all day making the ground drier and drier . Reports from SE of England of crops dying off because of drought.I am sure many farmers down there would welcome rain on Friday!!!!!!!

Posted

Not good news when there is a risk of crop loss which will ultimately put the price of our food up even further.

Regular showers of light rain have been a godsend after the previous few days when we have had a series of brush/gorse fires break out. One was very close to us in Tomcat Woods, another in Contin Ross shire and a third over towards the west!

After such a lovely day yesterday it has been somewhat disappointing today although the rain will be welcome for farmers, growers and gardeners.

Made it to 19c here today after an early start of 2c and a grass frost in any shaded areas.Unbroken sunshine and blue skies all day making the ground drier and drier . Reports from SE of England of crops dying off because of drought.I am sure many farmers down there would welcome rain on Friday!!!!!!!

They may well get the odd splash of rain soon, but will it be enough to stave off drought?

Dry and sunny yet again here today, possibly another glorious weekend ahead but a bit more uncertainty into next week?

Posted

They may well get the odd splash of rain soon, but will it be enough to stave off drought?

Dry and sunny yet again here today, possibly another glorious weekend ahead but a bit more uncertainty into next week?

I do hope the weekend is a wee bit warmer with the sun over in Dunoon. Another nice day here, blue sky lots of Sun but still a wee chill lingering.