Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Brilliant day to be out. Frost in sheltered inland parts nearly all day, clear skies.

Was wishing I had my winters on this morning but at least the raod was dry so no incidents.

Fire on nearly all day here - wimps!

Posted

Hi all

simialr story here. lovely weekend. getting frosty out there now again, after frost last night. lifted during day though here. Dry ish week ahead I think. gettign a bit milder again - fingers crossed for the end of month pattern change then! This is fine just now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Good solid frost again here the morn. Clear and bright.

Looks like E. Europe /Scandy could get a strong arctic blast, which bodes well for snow cover (thus cold air pooling) encroaching westwards:

http://hw.nwstatic.c...ecmt850.192.png

Ensembles continue to give generally colder trends with time, albeit into FI:

http://hw.nwstatic.c...0Midlothian.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

It's a frosty -3.7c here at the moment. Good ground frost and like most, yesterday, the frost didn't shift in some patches. Heating will be on today I think. Brrrr!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fog . What is up with all this fog !

Posted

Fog . What is up with all this fog !

I think it's just Scotch mist mate.

Really chilly, bright day with frost holding on in the shade here all day.

Again wee trends to something colder in todays GFS ensembles:

http://hw.nwstatic.c...0Midlothian.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Still no frost up here this autumn, and nothing approaching 0C. 21st October last year was the first subzero day but looks like it's going to be a while yet.

In the meantime what a beautiful, beautiful day it's been. Still, cold, blinding sunshine off the Forth Valley fog, but very warm in the sunshine. Too few days like it this year. There were plenty last autumn.

Posted

och aye the macnoo! here come the girls/boys oooo yeh! fog rolled in aboots 3pm, cleared by 5:23 aprox, low dew points ago go! lovely day aboots loanheid!

models showing maccolder patterns in a fortnight......

Posted

RE ECM, initially it doesn't look as promising as the 00z but by 192 hours we aren't far off a cold spell IMO macsimilar to last year....ish. go'on must confess....for whom has bought a 4wd because of last years abomination on the roads???! Upper bonnyrigg and penicuik were treacherosio maxima!!!!!

Posted

Another starry clear frosty evening currently 1c folowing another sunny day.Nearly all ploughed and another calf born in the field late pm.Never seen the ploughing so dry in November for a long time.If the winter is dry drought will follow in the spring.Picked the last of the late green apples today off a tree which still had green leves on it when the snow arrived at the end of November last year .I wonder if it will happen again? Saw my first gritting lorry on the A96 this evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Might be November but there's biting flies - mosquitoes and other nasty small black buggers - around and pestering the indigenous populace. Keds and ticks too, wee fackers. Bring back the birch.

Posted

Might be November but there's biting flies - mosquitoes and other nasty small black buggers - around and pestering the indigenous populace. Keds and ticks too, wee fackers. Bring back the birch.

I've heard garlic works. Just hang a string round your neck. :lol:

Emsembles again hinting at a general trend to cold. As noted by dragan, ECM shows meaty cold just off our shores, but only out towards T240. 12Z's might be interesting today.

Patience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all. Cloudy with temp of 9.9c. Have enjoyed the last few sunny days although on the chilly side! Hoping that nothing on the horizon till the month's end is a good sign. Personally, I feel that cold not setting in until towards the end of the year, bodes well for a longer, harder winter. Last year was great but it was all over (here) after December. The thrill as ever is in the chase!! Have bought hubby a snow thrower for Christmas as our backs' were creaking last year digging out the drive day after day. Hoping it will not be a waste of money!!

Posted

They come fi Lochgelly they havnae got a........anyways this dirty limpet Euro HP's days are numbered now, the PV is really powering up as each day passes now. Ensembles seem to be going down like an American Presidents secretary, actually its not as dramatic, maybe just the season progression.....or a trend to colder macweather??? 8.5c at the Loanheid

Posted

much milder, damp and dreich. interesting temperature variations across the country. I see Inverness is holding on to the cold air and sitting at -1C just now. we are up around 10C here! I think it was similar but the other way round a few days ago. Off to check the models then SS later - this gradual cool down is looking good. I agree would rather it kicked of in to December and we got cold shots throughout the winter rather than a mega-cold spell that is all over in a oner. a bit like Oban's fireworks

Posted

Another starry clear frosty evening currently 1c folowing another sunny day.Nearly all ploughed and another calf born in the field late pm.Never seen the ploughing so dry in November for a long time.If the winter is dry drought will follow in the spring.Picked the last of the late green apples today off a tree which still had green leves on it when the snow arrived at the end of November last year .I wonder if it will happen again? Saw my first gritting lorry on the A96 this evening

I saw a combine harvester on Saturday, latest I've ever seen one, but there are still a few fields which are uncut.

Posted

I saw a combine harvester on Saturday, latest I've ever seen one, but there are still a few fields which are uncut.

Been a torrid year on most farms across most of Scotland this year battling the wet conditions until now.Hearing stories of places in your area and the rest of cental Scotland where when it did finally dry up lin the last few weeks the ground was so wet it would not support the weight of a combine hence crops are still being salvaged. Drove to Inverness early this morning through freezing fog at 0c real November weather, to be followed by a great sunny day again.Ploughing finished today in ideal conditions. A big change tonight with a temperature currently of 10c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Call me a pessimist or whatever, but I think this winter will be a mild one :(

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Call me a pessimist or whatever, but I think this winter will be a mild one :(

Well I think we will have to wait until the end of December. I don't expect any snow for the whole of November even on the mountains.This is a difficult pattern to shift and could take weeks. There will be no dramatic change this year. 14c in Polmont and it's November the 10th Crazy! :cray: Overall I am going for a milder than average winter!

Polmont November 10th 2011 -Temp 13.8c

June 2011

Maximum temperature = 14.5°C on day 05 at time 15:16

Wonder if we will be warmer in November than on June 5th?

Edited by November13

Posted

Falkirk 14c Paris 750miles south 12c..theres something no right there! :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Feeling very warm today - think its past the mild into warm territory..

From Met Office still some way to go to top 2003..

January 18.3 °C 26 January 2003 Aboyne (Aberdeenshire)

Inchmarlo (Kincardineshire) February* 17.9 °C 22 February 1897 Aberdeen March 22.2 °C 29 March 1965 Strachan (Kincardineshire) April 27.2 °C 17 April 2003 Inverailort (Highland) May 29.0 °C 14 May 1992 Edinburgh, Royal Botanic Garden June* 32.2 °C 18 June 1893 Ochtertyre (Perth and Kinross) July 32.4 °C 2 July 1976 Wauchope (Scottish Borders) August 32.9 °C 9 August 2003 Greycrook (Scottish Borders) September 28.0 °C 2 September 1991

21 September 1998 Creebridge (Wigtownshire)

Ballater (Aberdeenshire) October 25.0 °C 3 October 1959 Falkirk (Stirling) November 20.2 °C 7 November 2003 Lochcarron (Ross & Cromarty) December* 18.3 °C 2 December 1948 Achnashellach (Highland)

What do you know ! Looking at the archives - another pesky Euro High not too dissimilar to todays setup !

post-7292-0-73615300-1320927936_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Falkirk 14c Paris 750miles south 12c..theres something no right there! :lazy:

Continental Europe Vs a wee Island surrounded by relatively warm water mate :good:

Big Innes.

Posted

Continental Europe Vs a wee Island surrounded by relatively warm water mate :good:

Big Innes.

Paris

November Avg Low: 6° Avg High: 10° Avg precip: 0.93 cm

Falkirk

November Avg Low: 4° Avg High: 9° Avg precip: 7.11 cm

Edited by November13