Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Temperature continuing to drop now 3.5c. If any showers make it here later hopefully there may be some wintryness in them :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yes temperatures are falling a little bit quicker now, 4.6C with a dp of 1C, though even if temps did get low enough for wintery weather, looks like it will just be a clear night here with no showers!

Good to see North Wales getting some wintery showers!!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Certainly feels like Winter at last out there. Chilly in Swansea today at the Waterfront Winterland with several heavy showers too.

Arrived home to a hail shower and the temperature is down to 4c which is not bad considering the cloud and wind.

Posted

Seems to be a steady stream of showers forming over Cardigan bay and heading inland over Mid Wales. Still wintry here but sleet/hail mix rather than snow proper, hopefully will improve as the night goes on. I would expect settled snow up in the Cambrian hills though.

Current temp 3.2c, dp 0.3c.

Posted

Winter 2010/2011 has raised our hopes, however this year we have needed to be a little more patient.

being realistic thou, the winter soltice is where our winter really starts and we are more likely to get snow for New years eve than Christmas eve statistically.

For some winter starts with the winter solstice although i believe its 1st of Dec as recorded by Met Office.

On floodwarn Snow was predicted for hills in the North for this week about 10 days ago and there is an interesting period just prior to Christmas. It is good to see Europe finally getting some sub zero temperatures from this last week and it looks to continue on and off through out the coming weeks.

So with Europe finally cooling off, and some brief cooler temperatures over the UK it is not all bad, infact with the longest night still a few weeks away there is plenty to be optermistic about. It is nice to see those -5 850mb reach the UK thou.

Anyone remember the Media predict coldest october and November for us a few months ago, Express news paper i believe.

They really have not got a clue have they - but i suppose it sold some papers and no one questions them.

Lets hope they predict a mild Jan and Feb as they always get it wrong.

Posted

I see that snowdonia has a covering as expected. For the rest of us lower down, it was very unlikely anyway, and the warm sea has kept temperatures too high in spite of cold enough uppers.

Also a lack of showers although they would be of rain below 500 metres anyway today.

Posted

Snow lying on the top of Cader Idris this morning and also some of the other mountain tops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

I thought there would have been more in the way of convection over our part of the Irish sea overnight/this morning due to the higher sea surface temperatures with the colder air flowing over it - Along with a steering flow that would tend to push showers in, especially to west Wales.

Going back over the radar for the last few hours it shows showers extending from N Wales heading SE- Most of the snow indeed over Snowdonia.

Posted

Yes Jamie showers North and South of us big tempreture drop after last shower ,hoping we get a few showers overnight could see our first snowflake if we do.

Posted

Just one sleety shower today - Beacons are kind of doing there usual job in this scenario - a complete barrier against anything in the south east

Posted

Just one sleety shower today - Beacons are kind of doing there usual job in this scenario - a complete barrier against anything in the south east

You're right there. It's been a nice dry and clear day here. Feels cold in that wind though.

Posted

Well there's been nothing this side of the Beacons either, other than the odd spit.

Max 6.5c so not that cold either.

Posted

Just been a few hail showers here today. There was a dusting of white this morning on hills above about 450m but on trekking up this was revealed as a couple of cm of soft hail lying. Felt a bit nippy up there in the wind though!

The uppers never really got cold enough in this part of the world hence hail instead of snow. I suspect the sleet I reported last night was probably hail, the dangers of making observations in the dark!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I'm clinging onto Mark Vogans prediction that there will be a brief averaging of temps then a plunge into colder weather from the 15th with widespread snow leading up to Xmas. I know he has his detractors, but i'm very interested to see any changes in the models over the coming few days. Anyone else noticing the beginnings of a high over Greenland in some of the models over the coming week. Will it develop???

If he's right then i take my hat off to him.

If he's wrong i'm holding out for colder weather to arrive after New year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Heavy hail here at the moment... Some of the higher hills of the cambrians are nice and white today.

Posted

Disappointingly not so much as a hail shower here today.

Is Mark Vogan usually right then, don't know much about him?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

I see that snowdonia has a covering as expected.

Honestly not much though. I took the morning off work to try and snap some pictures, and there's really not much snow up there at all. It appears that a thick layer of hailstones has carpetted the smoother peaks where the grassland helps it to stay put, but the rockier, craggy mountains are surprisingly bare.

Posted

Hmm so marginal even high up then.

The long modified sea track over warmer than normal water has been the spoiler today.

Afraid it could be a long, long wait for true cold and snow this Winter.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Just been talking to my cousin who lives 3miles north of glasgow he cant get out of work 7incs of snow and hammering down .Welshgritter you not working tonight?

Edited by keithlucky