Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted

can anyone explain why i have had an hour and half of constant rumbles of thunder and no lightning. Its probably the longest time i've heard continuous thunder and seen no lightning ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Two fantastic cu-nimbs about 5-10 miles to my east and southeast. Typical they should form there on the one day the wind isn't coming from that direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

post-11361-0-98609800-1303571438_thumb.p

:help:

Posted
can anyone explain why i have had an hour and half of constant rumbles of thunder and no lightning. Its probably the longest time i've heard continuous thunder and seen no lightning ?

Probably wrapped in sheets of rain.

Posted

Probably wrapped in sheets of rain.

Thanks for that but its not even raining and i can see the towering Cu-nimb and anvil

High based storm perhaps?

Posted

Impressive cloudscapes now appearing S/W and N of here in Medway. Haze to the north making it impossible to catch the very high shooting cumulus on camera.

Wear sunglasses to filter the haze for yourself to see the tops etc.... see if it works also for the camera if u dont have a filter..

Posted

High based storm perhaps?

Oh ok ?? i'm

very near the big White blob on Sat 24 .....not sure what an high based storm is

Posted

Temperature is dropping rather fast here in Telford now! from 23c to 20c in half an hour.

Dark skies still to the west, that storm over Wales needs to slide east more.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

WOW!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

Driving back from Broadstairs to my west i see a huge thunder head and another massive cb going up beside it, proper summery looking thunderstorms :D :D

Posted

If you can see the CB itself then the lightning is probably hidden inside a rain band falling from it, a lot of it may also be internal which you usually can't see in the daylight.

Posted

Ari, has it missed you completely now as well? I think the actual storm thought ''Hmm, getting close to Derbyshire, RETREAT!''

I honestly don't think I'll see anything all day now.

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Should have passed if not passing over your region currently. Have a look to your east and west -- if you see clouds "bubbling up" to your east and skies becoming clearer to your west, the low-level converging winds have passed and the winds should be flowing north-westerly over your region. In other words, it may be that the risk of thunderstorms for the west Midlands has passed... for the time being, that is.

that maybe happening clouds obscured the sun for a while but they seem to moving away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

still not a cloud in the sky.. i hope your right!

its only 4pm just wait until this evening! won't be a quick melt of clouds this evening thats for sure, alot of activity breaking out, some areas seeing some night lightning displays..even the southeast, even if its 30miles away from you, its going to be visible..:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Remember much of yesterday's action didn't start till post 5pm. I don't think the storm risk has gone here yet in the W Mids otherwise the cells over wales wouldn't be very good unless it's just convergence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looks like as soon as the region of low-level converging winds had passed a short time ago and the winds veered north-westerly, convection just fell apart. Incredible to watch. One moment I was looking at defined TCu to my west, and then soon after the skies are clear. Just the way it goes I suppose.

something developing now to the East of you.... as im typing thats just stoped dead in it`s tracks

Edited by windypants

Posted

If you can see the CB itself then the lightning is probably hidden inside a rain band falling from it, a lot of it may also be internal which you usually can't see in the daylight.

Thanks for that tim been a really weird last few hours

Ari, has it missed you completely now as well? I think the actual storm thought ''Hmm, getting close to Derbyshire, RETREAT!''

I honestly don't think I'll see anything all day now.

Yes heading away northwards now, not hearing any more thunder. I still have some hope for later, but not much to be honest! Even something on my doorstep like the Sheffield cell would be better when skies darken this evening!

Posted

Two fantastic cu-nimbs about 5-10 miles to my east and southeast. Typical they should form there on the one day the wind isn't coming from that direction.

keep an watch on the n/nw sky later especially..we wont know which way to look later..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

got some rumbles of thunder here, big billowing clouds steadily building!

24.5c

34% hum

7.9c DP

Posted

waht more could i ask for... storms developing outside!! a cup of tea.. and cadburys creme eggs... oh and top it off a crash of thunder.. awesome!!

Posted

Yes heading away northwards now, not hearing any more thunder. I still have some hope for later, but not much to be honest! Even something on my doorstep like the Sheffield cell would be better when skies darken this evening!

I just love the way that when it was about to hit you/us, it decides to shrivel up and run away. :lol:

I'm keeping my eye on these Welsh border showers, but I'm not holding much hope for them.