Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted

Paul

There is a great chance of Tornadoes today and would love to be positioned just SE Of that, as you say the shape is fantastic.

Here in the SE The Cumulus Field is better than I expected with some really nice Convection going on towering up and then turkey towering and splitting off. Temperature needed to set something off has been reached.

Aaaand I'm just the SE (more SSE) of it! Despite it looking rather white and innocent, the sheer height and size of it makes up for that - it's rather imposing. I've got very little knowledge on convection, so apologies for the lack of technical terms.

Posted

Paul

There is a great chance of Tornadoes today and would love to be positioned just SE Of that, as you say the shape is fantastic.

Here in the SE The Cumulus Field is better than I expected with some really nice Convection going on towering up and then turkey towering and splitting off. Temperature needed to set something off has been reached.

Doncaster is getting winds from both directions. So its looking great here!!!!!!

Posted

Difficult to see, so much pollution and haze in the sky everything is just milky white. However, to the east of Norwich I can see, amongst the haze, some cumulus developing, though difficult to judge it's height due to the haze.

There's a moderate shower over Mundford (W Norfolk) at the moment but no sferics as of yet. Gutted I'm not in Kent anymore (drove back to Norwich yesterday) as that looks like homeground for convection so far today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Just over Birmingham...anaprop or the real deal?

Visually... the real deal :clap:

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

It's the TCu producing radar reflectivity there, Nick. So indeed it is real. Though not the "real deal" lol. That'll be if a thunderstorm develops over the region.

you don't sound as confident as you did earlier ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

First promising cell going up near you W09, quick development....also on the extreme left of the radar grab, and shown better in the second, is some big cells firing over mid wales, these are very promising for our area, drifting slowly ENE, showing that even though dynamics are excellent to the east of our region, they still hold promise for us..

post-4149-0-72775900-1303567074.txt

post-4149-0-83887800-1303567114.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.
Posted · Hidden by Flipflop, April 23, 2011 - .
Hidden by Flipflop, April 23, 2011 - .

Hi there, just took this 10 mins+ ago in Hull whilst cloud watching and hoping for a some action,would that be classed as a funnel or something else?

5646357748_cd5d902fdb_z.jpg

5645791993_1805c672d8_z.jpg

Cheers all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just heard a distant rumble :)

Posted

Moisture is on the increase here with some incredible haze. Would expect obs. to be recording a rise in dew points shortly. The time is now...

If they start here how long do you expect them to last

was planning to go out this evening but no doubt storms and my fear will put a stop to that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

oh sorry i thought you were in kent!

No I''m in Basildon, that's why I only just spotted your Cb to my distant south

Still occasional dull rumbles to the north of here. Extra radar looking very tantalising - in some ways I've been a tad unlucky to have a potent cell so close to here, but plenty of the afternoon to go. Conditions are perfect out there! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Cells starting to fire over Powys. Best CAPE not found here though I suspect they are building as they encounter higher temps as they drift their way north and east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Confirmed. Only a matter of time before this bomb detonates...

I think I'm in a cracking position for this one :D

Posted

It looks as if the Cap has been broken in many places over France and the UK as precipitation is popping up all over the place and the last couple of mins IOW weather sferic is showing strikes all over the place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just heard a distant rumble :)

That cell to sour South and South east is developing rapidly Nick, looks nice from my back garden....edit...WOW!.....almost continuous distant rumbles of thunder!.....the damn things barely developed an anvil...lol

Posted

Moisture is on the increase here with some incredible haze. Would expect obs. to be recording a rise in dew points shortly. The time is now...

No appreciable rise at midday; need to compare with the 1500z.