Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

what a day that was, some incredible clouds, massive thunderheads, a huge anvil and a small potent little storm, so im happy :drinks:

Sunday parts of the south are going to get pounded!! some intense rare cells possible tomo.:help:

Glad you got some action! :clap:

12z NMM does show some nice potential for the South Eastern Quarter, mainly south of London, hopefully tomorrow will pan out well for you guys down south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather events.

A little rain this afternoon with a few rumbles of thunder. Plenty of nice convective clouds about showing up nicely against clear blue sky. Whilst this convection looked promising it was a good distance off and with not much wind generally stayed at a distance. Radar demonstrated this well as cells generally built and decayed in the same location. Cooler now as CF has moved through. Thats it now until the next "heat wave".

Posted

So close, yet so far for here also. Some amazing cloudscapes with anvils as far as Lincs and the Wash being seen all day. The Welsh storms decided to dissipate before it even got anywhere near here, but 30 miles away there was consistent lightning, floods, hailstorms, even a funnel cloud report. Can't win 'em all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

My apologies, I threw it in the bin. Turns out I was right- once the CZ passed over the region, it was pretty game over. Just didn't coincide with the right conditions. The one thing I didn't really anticjpate ahead of today was the storms over east Wales that formed ahead of the cold front.

Ah well, at least I heard a few rumbles of thunder. Not bad, eh?!

Never heard no rumbles but i managed a good timelapse of the Leiester cell across the city skyline :unknw:

So close, yet so far for here also. Some amazing cloudscapes with anvils as far as Lincs and the Wash being seen all day. The Welsh storms decided to dissipate before it even got anywhere near here, but 30 miles away there was consistent lightning, floods, hailstorms, even a funnel cloud report. Can't win 'em all.

Yep, a shame but nice to at least witness the main action here in some way lol :D

Posted

While i process my hd timelapse, heres one taken by my soon to be weather cam of the Leiester cell

Still getting use to the settings but i hope you enjoy :pardon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQJcX6tBQ4Y

Edited by windypants

Posted

Posting this late as only just got back home. Very hot, humid sunny day in SE Notts. After 4 pm clouds started building quite rapidly. After 5 pm loud thunder and the occasional flash started followed soon after by few spots of rain. Very loud rumbles heard but unfortunately didn't get to see too much lightening from a distance. Storm rumbled on for hours to be followed by very heavy rain for 30 minutes and now at 22.21 pm nothing happenning at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

While i process my hd timelapse, heres one taken by my soon to be weather cam of the Leiester cell

Still getting use to the settings but i hope you enjoy :pardon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQJcX6tBQ4Y

absolutely brilliant timelapse, apt soundtrack too! :clap:

fantastic sequence, even showing the anvil shield from the welsh 'imports' 'that never where' in the top left hand corner...lol....Keep up the good work WP! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A disappointing day for the West Midlands really apart from a few with a little Thunder earlier. But after 2 hours of Thunder yesterday evening i cant complain and this spell for April has been magnificent. I would love to hope we shall see more of this recent weather soon. Hopefully the GFS is right otherwise the weather looks like going down the pan in about a weeks time. :lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Great time lapse there of the beautiful anvil to the north-east. Slight problem with the track, though... wasn't exactly a "perfect day". Now if there were CGs dropping over the city.....

:lol:

Look forward to more of your time lapses.

Tsk Tsk, there is just no pleasing some people! :nonono: ...................:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well as today turned out to be something of a damp squib, albeit a very dry, warm and sunny damp squib, the BBC seemed to think thundery downpours/thunderstorms breaking out tomorrow, perhaps with the chance of actually getting one. I thought thundery potential ended today but not according to the BBC.

Posted

people reporting lightning on facebook round here

EDIT yep just been stood at front and crapped mi pants when it flashed

Edited by willkani

Posted

Very lively cell over towards Goole. Exploded from nowhere about an hour ago. Been watching the whole sky light up from home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

The risk of isolated diurnally-driven thunderstorms will likely be confined to the south-east of the England-- generally south of a line from Greater London to Dorset. Recent NAE and GFS convective precip progs suggest sea-breeze convergence-induced thunderstorms after mid-afternoon as land surface temperatures reach once more in the mid-20s C. Interest in convergence-type tornadoes has also been stirred as LCLs look to be much lower than today, so some intereaction between topography and cloud bases perhaps coming into play.

I wouldn't be suprised if the IOW will catch 1 of these, as they drift down something I have notice over the years on the Island is that, when it tries crossing the solent it dies a little but whenit hits the Island, the inland part of here tends to give any storms knew life, for and Island the IOW isn't that small and can heat up very nicely in the centre.

My fingers are crossed :)

Had pretty much a horrid storm chase today :/, got hold up by so much traffic so whatever cell we got too just died :( and couldn't reach the lot out in London area either ahhhh fudgsticks better luck next time I guess :L

Well done to all that got storms today anyways :)

Posted

Have enjoyed following this weeks developments and photographing a very isolated and photogenic single cell thunderstorm today was a nice reward from which I heard about 25 rumbles, mostly distant but some were quite loud. It then built to the back producing a second cell and finally that back built again to produce a third, the last two being less distinct and a little further from me so the thunder was very distant from both. I have already had more thunder than the entire of 2010...But still haven't seen lightning since 2009, almost two years.

Tomorrow is another interesting towards the south east. If things can get going, could be some decent storms. Some complexities though and will be interesting to see how it turns out. I think Wiltshire might be a little far west for tomorrow for anything other than an isolated sharp shower.

But am happy with what I got.

Edited by dave48

Posted

We may still have humidity-driven storms on the leading-edge of the front which is making its way SE'wards across Northern parts of the UK. Stuck my head out the window and the earlier reported storm some 40mins ago isn't visible, however something seems to be cropping up over the central pennines again that might make it this way if it continues developing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Nice surprise storm just passed north of town here. Frequent lightning but I've been drinking so no chance to go anywhere to take photos.. Thought we were gonna miss out but this thing erupted from nowhere as it hit the North York Moors. Hope the cells to the SW also pep up a bit as more chance of some window lightning if they track over the town!

Posted

Tsk Tsk, there is just no pleasing some people! :nonono: ...................:lol:

Thank you both for your kind comments

W09 I feel the pain of your withdrawal symptons for Hail

&

AJ it could have been worse........it might have been the BBC version ft Pavarotti

:drinks: both

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, tornadoes, snow

SO disappointed today, saw on the thunderstorm risk calculator on here today that here in Lyneham there was an 81% chance of a storm, around the same as London (who was 80%) - London got theirs and we didn't. Not a pip. I was in Swindon around 6pm and saw to the North (I think!) a cell but heard no thunder, saw no lightning, only a slight rainbow (which is always a bonus I guess!) but no storms at all. We haven't even had any rain, on the sun and warmth front it's been beautiful!

So yeah, I'm sulking slightly now, everyone else I know wants the sun and heat to last and here's me praying for a storm! haha!

As I have no family commitments or anything to go to tomorrow, I'm thinking I could sneak off maybe and do a bit of chasing to make up for my disappointment, it's gearing up for the SE again tomorrow isn't it? Anyone got any tips for me? This will be a first for me so I'm not getting my hopes up for any success but would be good if I could come across something! :)

Posted

I assume blood pressures will be down a tad today on here. The south east would appear to be the only likely spot and that probably isolated. The Chief Forecasters view for the latter.

Mainly dry and very warm with hazy sunshine again, but isolated heavy showers are expected to develop in the afternoon, most likely in western counties. Maximum Temperature 26 C.

Cornwall very sunny.:yahoo:

Edited by weather ship

Should I be looking forward to today in the way of storms? Havant seen much info on today, just seen some of you had some amazing storms yesterday, I had one pass very close by me with lightning and thunder which lasted from about 1-9pm very very slow moving but no rain what so ever.

Hoping to get something today, im west of London the the borders of Berkshire Middlesex and Surrey

Posted

Should I be looking forward to today in the way of storms? Havant seen much info on today, just seen some of you had some amazing storms yesterday, I had one pass very close by me with lightning and thunder which lasted from about 1-9pm very very slow moving but no rain what so ever.

Hoping to get something today, im west of London the the borders of Berkshire Middlesex and Surrey

The area is covered by my earlier post. Possibilty of isolated TH development but isolated. It's pot luck really.