Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yep - all starting to kick off now - France looks really busy again

I doubt anything will reach us though due to the east/northeast wind being too strong and keeping them to our south??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

two bands of showers with thunder is developing in NE France, one north of Paris and one in the Lille/Saint-Quentin/Amiens triangle which are hopefully heading for us. and then there are the channel storms which are hitting the south-west coast as well, so plenty to keep your eyes on!

Do you think some of that might hit North Kent.

Where are you watching these storms?

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

this is my view on the situation at the moment..of developing activity over the channel, looks exciting down sw at the moment

post-11361-0-56695400-1304172931_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

I doubt anything will reach us though due to the east/northeast wind being too strong and keeping them to our south??

It's a waiting game - lots of activity though - so may be a chance - again during darkness hours - much better displays

Posted

The storms in the SW look to be backbuilding of sorts with initiation around Weymouth

I think anybody along the E/W line Honiton to Bude could see repeated storms all afternoon.

Over 20C here now so hoping the extra heat might break the weak cap soon. I'm not convinced any of the European stuff will make it far N from the far S coast like last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ok, a few charts to illustrate whats happening and likely to happen

Chart 1. current SBCAPE (surface convective energy) for the UK - As shown over 1000j/kg of CAPE is being realised over east Devon..Plenty of energy available for cells to tap into to

post-4149-0-69151800-1304172577_thumb.pn

Chart 2, current MLCAPE (mid-level convective erngy) for the UK - As shown, several hundred j/kg recorded in the same region, implying plenty of deep convective energy available. This can help longievity of thunderstorms...Also worth mentioning that there is plenty of MLCAPE building over the near continent, implying the chances of deep convection with surface based storms, plus a higher chance of elevated storms firing over the Low Countries and drifting into the SE

post-4149-0-85837500-1304172800_thumb.pn

Chart 3. current Lifted Index values for the UK. As shown, the lower level air is very bouyant, this will aid quick cell development, as the air has the ability to rise quickly

post-4149-0-81838300-1304172937_thumb.pn

Chart 4. Wind direction & velocity at the 700hpa boundary....As shown the steering winds for these cells are just north of west, and storms are building and quickly moving in this direction..Despite the lack of vertical wind sheer (300 hpa boundary winds are moving roughly in the same direction) I believe this won't hamper storms to develop and build, as the lower level steering winds are strong enough to avoid the hinderance of new updraught development for any given thunderstorm

post-4149-0-76648300-1304173279_thumb.pn

All charts posted courtesy of SkywarnUk, using their GFS data set

Posted

this is my view on the situation at the moment..of developing activity over the channel, looks exciting down sw at the moment

post-11361-0-56695400-1304172931_thumb.g

I personally think you are being optimistic!

The trough can clearly be seen by the precipitation line in the SW. The trough is forecasted to rotate on its axis and expands eastwards this evening. I am hoping this will be enough to force the weather coming in from the continent into some convective storms along the south coast of Dorset, Hampshire and into Sussex.

Time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just wondering, did Jane finally get a storm yesterday? I'm hoping she did as i know she has been wanting one for a long time. At some point this summer i'm hoping to see one over my area but Bradford doesn't do well for storms. Not sure why that is as Leeds seems to do okay as does the Manchester area.

Nice looking cells developing around Devon. Good luck to those way south today.

Hi Supacell :)

I had three rumbles of thunder and two flashes of lightning from a distant storm. Was a bit worried if it was going to be overhead due to being stuck in a field Lol.

Wishing you good luck for the Summer and anytime before of course :D. I feel this is going to be a good year for many of us.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ok, a few charts to illustrate whats happening and likely to happen

Chart 1. current SBCAPE (surface convective energy) for the UK - As shown over 1000j/kg of CAPE is being realised over east Devon..Plenty of energy available for cells to tap into to

post-4149-0-69151800-1304172577_thumb.pn

Chart 2, current MLCAPE (mid-level convective erngy) for the UK - As shown, several hundred j/kg recorded in the same region, implying plenty of deep convective energy available. This can help longievity of thunderstorms...Also worth mentioning that there is plenty of MLCAPE building over the near continent, implying the chances of deep convection with surface based storms, plus a higher chance of elevated storms firing over the Low Countries and drifting into the SE

post-4149-0-85837500-1304172800_thumb.pn

Chart 3. current Lifted Index values for the UK. As shown, the lower level air is very bouyant, this will aid quick cell development, as the air has the ability to rise quickly

post-4149-0-81838300-1304172937_thumb.pn

Chart 4. Wind direction & velocity at the 700hpa boundary....As shown the steering winds for these cells are just north of west, and storms are building and quickly moving in this direction..Despite the lack of vertical wind sheer (300 hpa boundary winds are moving roughly in the same direction) I believe this won't hamper storms to develop and build, as the lower level steering winds are strong enough to avoid the hinderance of new updraught development for any given thunderstorm

post-4149-0-76648300-1304173279_thumb.pn

All charts posted courtesy of SkywarnUk, using their GFS data set

Thanks AJ,

If only they could move up North East a tad to us lot. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

showers in Devon becoming electrified :whistling:

Guess i was right...

http://extremestormsuk.blogspot.com/

Edited by vortex_liam

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Nice looking cell developing quite rapidly over NE France with the possibility of it coming ashore around Brighton...If it can hold together.

post-5386-0-45977600-1304174660_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
image_b_uk.png

Posted

There is a slight cap over the SE today that needs to be overcome before anything happens. The south west has no cap but the convective ceiling is only 24500 ft. Hopefully the trough forecast to cross the southwest will force the situation a little bit.

The trough is over the south west at midday. Why the cap at 24, 500 ft.?

Posted

Were did you get that Skew T sounding from?

Posted

How accurate is the net weather radar for detecting lightening? If it is sheet lightening do radar's pick that up? Many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

picks most of it up. Get nw lightning detector its DEADLY accurate from all the lightning stations in the uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Oh come on, send some storms North Kent way please, I've been so patient.

Posted

Met office have 'yellow' warning out for SW for heavy thundery showers, funny how they issue warnings when the event has been happening for a couple of hours.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Edited by NL

Posted

picks most of it up. Get nw lightning detector its DEADLY accurate from all the lightning stations in the uk

I'll give it a try, IOW one is rubbish, sometimes it seems ok, then sometimes not! Thanks

Posted

And that sounding was done before the trough was over the area so it is not reflecting what the atmosphere is doing right now.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

I'm in Somerset and all afternoon we've had tantialising clouds ,and one vvvv brief shower .So close yet so far:-) .we have a very stiff breeze which I think breaks things up.

Posted

How accurate is the net weather radar for detecting lightening? If it is sheet lightening do radar's pick that up? Many thanks

RADAR detects rainfall - or actually moving objects (RAdio Detection And Ranging)whereas lightning is detected using a radio atmospheric signal (sferic) detector. The more detectors the better the triangulation and hence accuracy when data is combined.